The Student Room Group

What to Add for Personal Statement Draft

Hi all, am just about to complete my Economics personal statement first draft. Worried that there is something which I left out in my statement. Any ideas or things which I should include or add?

Currently I have the following:
- My interest in economics
- Books I read
- Extra-curricular activities I did at school e.g. choir

Thinking of applying to Cambridge and the other top 4 unis from the Complete University Guide: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=economics

Thanks!
Original post by UniConfusion
Hi all, am just about to complete my Economics personal statement first draft. Worried that there is something which I left out in my statement. Any ideas or things which I should include or add?

- Books I read

Thinking of applying to Cambridge and the other top 4 unis from the Complete University Guide: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=economics

Thanks!

Especially if you’re applying to Oxbridge please don’t waste space on extra curriculars that are not directly relevant to your subject. Resources are in my signature. Please don’t post your statement on the open forums or send it to anyone you don’t know on the internet.
@UniConfusion FYI above
Thanks alleycat. so you mean I should kill the extra-curricular bit and focus solely on my academic interest in studying Economics? Not sure if I need to pinpoint specific uni level econ topics in the statement?
Thanks alleycat. so you mean I should kill the extra-curricular bit and focus solely on my academic interest in studying Economics? Not sure if I need to pinpoint specific uni level econ topics in the statement?

Pretty much yes unless you really have nothing else to talk about. Not sure what you mean by the second but about pinpointing things? Yes you need to give specific examples of your academic interests and explain why they interest you and make you want to do this degree.

- Books I read

Thanks!

As @alleycat393 said, try to minimise stuff about extra-curriculars. Cambridge only cares about academic, Economics stuff. But, remember, other unis might care, so I would go for about an 80/20 balance - even more economics, if you dare.

Make sure when you speak about your interest in econ/books you've read, you are specific. If anyone could have written it, it's not good enough. If anyone could have written it after a couple hours of online research, it's probably not specific enough. Talk about specific topics/books in detail. Essentially, if someone who isn't interested in or good at economics could have written what you've written, then you need to change it. "I read x and it was really interesting because it affects the real world so dramatically" is not specific enough - since I can easily write that, and I don't know much about economics.

Good luck :smile:

- Books I read

Thanks!

Cambridge would rather know about your passion than your extra-curriculars. It's important, but talk more about why you've chosen the course, your ambitions, the areas of economics that you love. Why Cambridge? I'd talk about alumni, the aspects of the university you enjoy (tutorials/supervision? Pushed to always be better? etc). Talk about any work experience or skills you've gained from experiences etc
Original post by blue.stripes
Why Cambridge? I'd talk about alumni, the aspects of the university you enjoy (tutorials/supervision? Pushed to always be better? etc).

Thanks for all your comments! But then a problem of being too specific on Cambridge is that other universities will see it on my personal statement?

@alleycat by pinpointing things I mean mention specific topics on Economics I am interested in, which is only covered at uni level. Or can I cover anything in relation to econ?
Thanks for all your comments! But then a problem of being too specific on Cambridge is that other universities will see it on my personal statement?

@alleycat by pinpointing things I mean mention specific topics on Economics I am interested in, which is only covered at uni level. Or can I cover anything in relation to econ?

You can cover anything in economics if it is taught as part of the degree, but focus on extra stuff you've done to it, rather than what you've covered in lessons.

You're right that you can't be too specific about Cambridge. They have a separate small PS, but still focus on your interest in their course, rather than 'OMG I LOVE CAMBRIDGE IT'S AN AMAZING UNI' type stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending