The Student Room Group

is it too late to go to uni at the age of 20/21!

I failed my alevels and I'm planning to take a btec course and start anew, so I will be starting university at 20/21 yrs old

I just want to know if any of you have experienced going to university at an older age and how has it been???
Reply 1
No, it's not old at all.

Many people go to uni who are much older than you.

Probably no one will even realise that you are older than them because the age gap is just too short.
I hope its not too late at that age I'm 30 and I'm about to start 😂😢
Original post by Conconz
I hope its not too late at that age I'm 30 and I'm about to start 😂😢

Never too late. I’m 70 and graduate in a couple of weeks. Loads of 30+ in my class.
Reply 4
Whaaaat?! Not at all! I'm going to be 27 when I start and I read a comment on here once by a 51 year old who is starting this year.
I believe it's beneficial to take time out and get some life experience and reevaluate, or just not jump into something fast.
Original post by Seamus123
Never too late. I’m 70 and graduate in a couple of weeks. Loads of 30+ in my class.

70? Wow! I knew people in their 20s-40s were at uni but 70? Never too old i guess
Reply 6

How inspirational!
Original post by asoullessperson
I failed my alevels and I'm planning to take a btec course and start anew, so I will be starting university at 20/21 yrs old

I just want to know if any of you have experienced going to university at an older age and how has it been???

I was 21 in my first year. Absolutely no issues and 90% of people didn't know my real age.

A year or two age gap makes **** all difference when you're an adult.

Very interesting. What did you study and what was reason behind going to Uni at that age? You dont have to answer but but just intrigued.
Reply 9
i'm 20 and i'm starting uni at September, taking into account I would be around 23 when I graduate. I don't see it as old at all. You're fine!
No it's not.

A lot of people go to uni at that age anyway. Some people have taken time out to find out what to do or switched courses etc.

People go to uni at 22, 24, 25, 26, 33, 40 etc at all ages to be honest.

Check out the access to he question and answer.

There's people who studied access who are going to uni at different ages.
(edited 5 years ago)
It’s never too late!!
Show em what you’re made of 💃🏾
Original post by vivaronaldoo
Very interesting. What did you study and what was reason behind going to Uni at that age? You dont have to answer but but just intrigued.

I studied Criminology. I was an abandoned baby in 1948 with no papers and taken into the care of the RC Church. Formal education was practically non-existent and at 15 I couldn’t read or write and had to teach myself. I have 7 children, 17 grandchildren, and 2 greatgrandchildren. I did an Access to the Humanities in 1998 and started my degree in 1999 and completed a year. One of my daughters had a baby boy who was very poorly and I had to take him. I home educated him until he was 16 and sent him to college and I returned to uni to restart my degree. He is 19 now. Uni was a blast. All ages from 18-20s and 30s and me. Was student rep throughout. I wanted to do a Masters but can’t get funding as the cutoff age is 60.
I studied Criminology. I was an abandoned baby in 1948 with no papers and taken into the care of the RC Church. Formal education was practically non-existent and at 15 I couldn’t read or write and had to teach myself. I have 7 children, 17 grandchildren, and 2 greatgrandchildren. I did an Access to the Humanities in 1998 and started my degree in 1999 and completed a year. One of my daughters had a baby boy who was very poorly and I had to take him. I home educated him until he was 16 and sent him to college and I returned to uni to restart my degree. He is 19 now. Uni was a blast. All ages from 18-20s and 30s and me. Was student rep throughout. I wanted to do a Masters but can’t get funding as the cutoff age is 60.

Very inspirational! And good on you.
You're likely to find plenty of people in your class around the same age and older.

I'm 26 and started my degree last year. I'm definitely older than the majority of people on my course but at the same time I'm easily half the age of the oldest!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending