The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Cambridge?

Applied last year for Natural Sciences at Cambridge with A*A*AA predicted. Went for an interview and was subsequently rejected. Interview couldn't have gone worse.

A2 Results:
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*

Maths UMS: C1 - 93, C2 - 99, C3 - 100, C4 - 100, S1 - 98, M1 - 93
FM UMS: FP1 - 80, FP2 - 83, FP3 - 61, S2 - 99, M2 - 90, D1 - 80

I would love to get into Cambridge for multiple reasons, and I worry that I will regret not reapplying. Would I be in with a shot, or should I keep my current firm offer at Durham? Any advice appreciated:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by username246292
Applied last year for Natural Sciences at Cambridge with A*A*AA predicted. Went for an interview and was subsequently rejected. Interview couldn't have gone worse.

A2 Results:
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*

I would love to get into Cambridge for multiple reasons, and I worry that I will regret not reapplying. Would I be in with a shot, or should I keep my current firm offer at Durham? Any advice appreciated:smile:

Moved to Cambridge :smile:
Oxbridge isn't all about grades. Sorry! If you failed the interview I don't think Cambridge will rethink and give you an offer. Durham is a great uni. And, congratulations on your results.

Can you find something useful to do in the gap year?

Can you do something positive to improve your interview performance?

Can you deal with the possibility that you won't get a Cambridge offer second time around?

Other than that, with 4 A*s already, you will get 4 strong offers next year, so if you can answer 'yes' to the above 3 questions, reapply.
yes definitely. 100%. you will need to read lots before your interview to be prepared for an interrogation. interviews are about logic/thinking on the spot, but you can use cues from what youve read to help you think fast. good luck!
they don't mind gap years that you just spent working, they understand it's necessary for people to save up for uni. you should read a lot of stuff and practice problems, they will have to give you an unconditional after interview if they want to accept you so it would have to be good. I don't think it's worth it, just get a first at durham and apply for a masters at cambridge. durham is really good especially for sciences, it's russel group after all.
also heads up you'd have to say you got 63 ums in fp3 if you applied again and first term maths is just hard fp3 i don't think this matters much with 4A* though
I have that and my interview was terrible and everything else was also terrible
i sneaked in though, under the radar
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Antonia Jane
Oxbridge isn't all about grades. Sorry! If you failed the interview I don't think Cambridge will rethink and give you an offer. Durham is a great uni. And, congratulations on your results.

Thanks for the reply! I see where you are coming from, but if that's how it worked then all who reapply would not get in. A different year, college and mindset may make for a better go at it a second time round
Original post by Interrobang
Moved to Cambridge :smile:

Thank you:smile:
Original post by yolkie
they don't mind gap years that you just spent working, they understand it's necessary for people to save up for uni. you should read a lot of stuff and practice problems, they will have to give you an unconditional after interview if they want to accept you so it would have to be good. I don't think it's worth it, just get a first at durham and apply for a masters at cambridge. durham is really good especially for sciences, it's russel group after all.
also heads up you'd have to say you got 63 ums in fp3 if you applied again and first term maths is just hard fp3 i don't think this matters much with 4A* though
I have that and my interview was terrible and everything else was also terrible

Thanks for the advice:smile:
Reply 9

A2 Results:
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*

Speak to the Post-Qualification Results Advice Clinic being run by Christ's College:
https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/open-days-prospective-applicants/results-clinic
Original post by Doonesbury
Speak to the Post-Qualification Results Advice Clinic being run by Christ's College:
https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/open-days-prospective-applicants/results-clinic

Thanks for the reply:smile: I thought the decision had to made within 24 hours from results day to allow other students to take my position on the course, if I were to withdraw?
Reply 11
Thanks for the reply:smile: I thought the decision had to made within 24 hours from results day to allow other students to take my position on the course, if I were to withdraw?

I've no idea what time limit Durham has put on you. But even if you accept Durham you can still withdraw later. There's no requirement that you have to take up your place. (Just don't sign up for any financial stuff unless you are sure you can back out of it - for example accommodation deposits).
Sure why not, go ahead

A2 Results:
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*

Congrats on your results! Your maths ums is great but further seems to not be as high up. With that being said 4A*s is exceptional so academic record-wise you won't have a problem. But the important thing to realise is Oxbridge isn't just about academic grades because you also need to do well in the NSAA and the interview. So if the interview didn't go well the first time around, how can you ensure that won't happen again? These are the sort of things you need to now be thinking about and do a lot of problem solving practice outside of your comfort zone.

But Yes defo reapply as you are a worthy candidate :wink:. If you genuinely think you won't muck up the interview again then go for it!
I've no idea what time limit Durham has put on you. But even if you accept Durham you can still withdraw later. There's no requirement that you have to take up your place. (Just don't sign up for any financial stuff unless you are sure you can back out of it - for example accommodation deposits).

From Durham:
'If you do not confirm that you intend to take up this place, it may be offered to another applicant, so please contact the university or college as soon as you receive this letter.'

If i confirmed and withdrew a week later then I have wasted a place on their course that could have otherwise been taken by someone else?
Reply 15
From Durham:
'If you do not confirm that you intend to take up this place, it may be offered to another applicant, so please contact the university or college as soon as you receive this letter.'

If i confirmed and withdrew a week later then I have wasted a place on their course that could have otherwise been taken by someone else?

People withdraw at the last minute, or even during term, all the time. And people transfer into Durham every year too if places become available. It's not a problem.

Oh, and one "dodgy" score in FP3 won't be a problem in the scheme of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
People withdraw at the last minute, or even during term, all the time. And people transfer into Durham every year too if places become available. It's not a problem.

Oh, and one "dodgy" score in FP3 won't be a problem in the scheme of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should I hold out on confirming my place a Durham to see what advice I get from Christ's college? Durham does state that they would like me to confirm as soon as I received the confirmation letter. What should I do?
Reply 17
Should I hold out on confirming my place a Durham to see what advice I get from Christ's college? Durham does state that they would like me to confirm as soon as I received the confirmation letter. What should I do?

Do you know if/when you are speaking to Christ's? If it's not for a for days I'd accept the Durham offer anyway.

They are very bad at messing applicants around so don't feel bad if you are messing them around a bit in return. :wink:
Do you know if/when you are speaking to Christ's? If it's not for a for days I'd accept the Durham offer anyway.

They are very bad at messing applicants around so don't feel bad if you are messing them around a bit in return. :wink:

If i were to fill out a form confirming that i will be taking up the place, and then withdraw within a week if i wanted to this would be ok? I don't want to be getting myself into a financial mess. I have been asked to confirm by the 18th or I will lose my place.

In addition, is it possible to use Durham as my back-up next year, or would the uni not take kindly to someone reapplying to a course they just withdrew from?
Reply 19
If i were to fill out a form confirming that i will be taking up the place, and then withdraw within a week if i wanted to this would be ok? I don't want to be getting myself into a financial mess. I have been asked to confirm by the 18th or I will lose my place.

In addition, is it possible to use Durham as my back-up next year, or would the uni not take kindly to someone reapplying to a course they just withdrew from?

There's no "financial mess" until you (potentially) sign up for accommodation contracts or similar.

Universities don't hold grudges. It's fine. Although I can't guarantee Durham will re-offer next time. They can be somewhat idiosyncratic...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending