The Student Room Group

I'm the most confused person after A-Level Results Day 2018

I've obtained my A-Level grades as follows:
Grade C in A2 Chemistry
Grade C in A2 Mathematics
Grade D in A2 Biology
Grade E in AS Business Studies
I was initially planning on applying for Medicine but as you can see from my results that won't be happening right now. However, I have received a offer from The Manchester University to study Pharmacy with a Foundation Year.
Despite, all that I have researched and come to know of medical schools that can still consider me for 2020 entry if I obtain in the range of A*AA-AAB (Depending on the university) after re-sitting my A-Levels next year.

I was wondering if I could resit my A-Levels (to obtain the grades listed above) and study for the Foundation Year at the same time considering all the factors involved. The whole point of this is so I can achieve the grades needed for Medicine whilst still having a back-up just in case I still don't get offers for other reasons outside of grade requirements.

Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in a similar position. It will be too much work to do that, and you probably won't be able to achieve the grades which will feel even worse the 2nd time round.

The best option for us is to retake and reapply for a related course, if we do well potentially look at graduate entry. But choose something you can actually see yourself doing.
Reply 2
Original post by SomMC1
I am sorry but I do not think it is very likely that any medical school would take a resit student, especially not with 2Cs, 1D and 1E. You do have a C in chemistry which is good but you at least need an A. Do you think you can get A*AA from CCDE in a year? whilst having work experience for a new and better PS, UKCAT?

You want to study at uni and resit A levels? I doubt that's possible, although I am not a Foundation year expert - it just doesnt seem logic at all.

Medicine does not like resit students. They are very strict on AS grades and you dont have the highest of levels in A2.

Considering my brother got into medicine and he's been helping a girl in Y12, I dont see it possible at all for you to get into medicine, sorry.

when you say unis don't like resit applicants, what if you took new Alevels that were different subjects from your current one? Say I sat them for the first time in 2019 and applied for UCAS again and got a good set of grades - would unis mind or class that as "resitting"?
Great suggestion. Nice to hear I'm not alone.
The thing with graduate entry medicine (GEM) is the years it will take up to get the degree with all things said.
I've thought about this and my parents won't just let me risk taking a year out only resitting A-Levels but want me to have a back-up which would be the Foundation Year in this case.

Do you know of anyone that has done something similar to what we've considered?

I really do think I didn't work as hard as I could have for my A-Levels and becoming too laid back was the consequence of my grades. I do believe I can achieve the grades it's just that I don't know if I can manage the work load of the Foundation Year at the same time.
Original post by okey
I'm in a similar position. It will be too much work to do that, and you probably won't be able to achieve the grades which will feel even worse the 2nd time round.

The best option for us is to retake and reapply for a related course, if we do well potentially look at graduate entry. But choose something you can actually see yourself doing.
Reply 4
Original post by SomMC1
I understand what you mean, but you need chemistry. Biology is more than a good idea to take. That leaves you with just one other subject to do. And could you learn that subject in a year and improve chemistry and biology to a higher level as well?

I do think that unis would see that you are retaking no matter what and since med schools are rather picky and annoying when it comes to selecting resit students in general (bc they got so many applicants to choose from), it would be hard to get in as well.

Trying biochem/biomed and applying to post grad med school might be a solution, albeit it is hard.

oh no i'm not applying for medicine. could this be meant for the OP? I simply meant if you took new A-Levels different from the ones that you have now, then it wouldn't be classed as resisting--in fact I think if i did that and got AAA (unrealistically, of course) they'd be surprised at my perseverance and dedication to change my old pathway into a new one. Just my personal opinion.

Of course Oxbridge may see it as "restting" but most unis, I think, will not.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by byaakun
oh no i'm not applying for medicine. could this be meant for the OP? I simply meant if you took new A-Levels different from the ones that you have now, then it wouldn't be classed as resisting--in fact I think if i did that and got AAA (unrealistically, of course) they'd be surprised at my perseverance and dedication to change my old pathway into a new one. Just my personal opinion.

Of course Oxbridge may see it as "restting" but most unis, I think, will not.

Ahaha yes! My bad, I got confused for a second. I understand what you mean and maybe you are right and they would actually like it. Oxbridge and the top RG probably not but still med schools are way too picky to be fooled with that.

And also, the room for changing is little, as you need chemistry and probably biology too.

If it was any other course, like business or geography, then youre probably right though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mansoor-123
The thing with graduate entry medicine (GEM) is the years it will take up to get the degree with all things said.
I've thought about this and my parents won't just let me risk taking a year out only resitting A-Levels but want me to have a back-up which would be the Foundation Year in this case.

I really do think I didn't work as hard as I could have for my A-Levels and becoming too laid back was the consequence of my grades. I do believe I can achieve the grades it's just that I don't know if I can manage the work load of the Foundation Year at the same time.

i'm kind of in a similar situation to yours. i didn't get into the uni i wanted (my firm choice) because my grades didn't meet the entry requirements and i got into my insurance's foundation year course. The thing is though, I really WANTED to go to my firm uni, so I may during my foundation year at this uni -- resit exams or take 1 new subject and reapply -- ALONGSIDE my foundation year. I'm just considering it. But as okey says, it's a lot of work. Ugh.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7

Exactly the same, if I'm being honest with myself I didn't work anywhere near as hard as I could/ should have.

The thing to do is apply next cycle to one choice which has requirements at the level of grades you currently have. I'm gonna apply to one that's like BCC in case I mess up again. Besides that there's always clearing. Any ideas on what you'd like to apply for?
I've called up around 10 medical schools and 5 of the 10 have said they don't care that I got CCDE in my first attempt unless I end up with A*AA-AAB in my second attempt at A-Levels.
I've only considered the Foundation Year and A-Levels resits because my Career Adviser at Sixth Form had suggested this to me along with a Professor that I had talked to from a medical school despite clearly stating the sheer difficulty of going down this route.

In terms, of universities I believe I have a PS that stands out because I did focus on extra-curricular activities linked with Medicine during my A-Levels.

I do believe I can improve and maybe even achieve the grades simply because I know I didn't put my head down during A-Levels. However, I am unsure about the work load of Foundation Years.

Thanks for the Suggestion.
Original post by SomMC1
I am sorry but I do not think it is very likely that any medical school would take a resit student, especially not with 2Cs, 1D and 1E. You do have a C in chemistry which is good but you at least need an A. Do you think you can get A*AA from CCDE in a year? whilst having work experience for a new and better PS, UKCAT?

You want to study at uni and resit A levels? I doubt that's possible, although I am not a Foundation year expert - it just doesnt seem logic at all.

Medicine does not like resit students. They are very strict on AS grades and you dont have the highest of levels in A2.

Considering my brother got into medicine and he's been helping a girl in Y12, I dont see it possible at all for you to get into medicine, sorry.
The time period to actually go down this route sounds really daunting to me as well as the risk of not making it to med school after completing a 3-year long degree such as Biomed/Biochemistry because of the preference of Undergraduates and also the GAMSAT entry test for some universities

Yes, I will not be retaking Business Studies but just solely, be looking to retake all modules in A2 Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
Original post by SomMC1
You could try resitting and applying in the new UCAS cycle for biochem/biomed, graduate and then apply to post-grad medicine, which is arguably even more competitive than undergrad medicine.

Im saying this alternative route just so I dont sound fully negative, so Im giving you an option which my brother himself had, in case things went south.

He got an conditional offer from Edinburgh for either biomed or biochem (cant remember) with a requirement of 32 IB (which is even lower than the official requirement); that might transfer to CCD-BCC at A level.

Do you consider dropping Business if you retake, as that seems to grab you down a whole lot.
I've called up around 10 medical schools and 5 of the 10 have said they don't care that I got CCDE in my first attempt unless I end up with A*AA-AAB in my second attempt at A-Levels.
I've only considered the Foundation Year and A-Levels resits because my Career Adviser at Sixth Form had suggested this to me along with a Professor that I had talked to from a medical school despite clearly stating the sheer difficulty of going down this route.

In terms, of universities I believe I have a PS that stands out because I did focus on extra-curricular activities linked with Medicine during my A-Levels.

I do believe I can improve and maybe even achieve the grades simply because I know I didn't put my head down during A-Levels. However, I am unsure about the work load of Foundation Years.

Thanks for the Suggestion.

They might just be nice and not to discourage you but I dont know as Im not the Admissions Officer; you might have a solid chance, but the amount of work this year would be very very large.

Either way, good luck!!
Oh okay. I did get into my Firm Choice (MPharm Foundation Year at Manchester) but it was solely a back up because my dream course is doing Medicine at med school. Ikr, the only thing is I don't know a great deal on the work load of Foundation Years and if you can take a few hours each day to just revise for A-Levels whilst staying on top and making sure you pass the Foundation Year.

Plus, I can't live with these A-Level grades and I'm desperate to improve them and actually put my head down and work for them.
Original post by byaakun
i'm kind of a similar situation to yours. i didn't get into the uni i wanted (my firm choice) because my grades didn't meet the entry requirements and i got into my insurance's foundation year course. The thing is though, I really WANTED to go to my firm uni, so I may during my foundation year at this uni -- resit exams or take 1 new subject and reapply -- ALONGSIDE my foundation year. I'm just considering it. But as okey says, it's a lot of work. Ugh.
Well I don't want to move away from applying for Medicine. I also desperately, want to get much better A-Level results hence the idea of retaking them so I can show myself that if I work hard I can really do well.
I've had a look at clearing but nothing seems to interest me plus most of the unis are not Russel Groups (RG).

However, if Medicine is not to be then I won't give away the offer I've got for MPharm Foundation Year at Manchester which I've been advised to do by college staff
Original post by okey
Exactly the same, if I'm being honest with myself I didn't work anywhere near as hard as I could/ should have.

The thing to do is apply next cycle to one choice which has requirements at the level of grades you currently have. I'm gonna apply to one that's like BCC in case I mess up again. Besides that there's always clearing. Any ideas on what you'd like to apply for?
Oh okay. I did get into my Firm Choice (MPharm Foundation Year at Manchester) but it was solely a back up because my dream course is doing Medicine at med school. Ikr, the only thing is I don't know a great deal on the work load of Foundation Years and if you can take a few hours each day to just revise for A-Levels whilst staying on top and making sure you pass the Foundation Year.

Plus, I can't live with these A-Level grades and I'm desperate to improve them and actually put my head down and work for them.

I think it's mostly down to motivation and timing. If you have the motivation to juggle both resits and the foundation year, because medicine is what you really want to do, then I say at least try. The last thing you want to feel is regret. A good schedule to keep you on track with motivation, I think can bring you success. Just remember to take regular breaks.

A person who gave me some advice said (and this will sound corny asf but) if you really want something, you will make it happen. But anyway, I wish you luck with whatever option you choose!
(edited 5 years ago)
It might be a 1 in a 100 chance but I just can't seem to convince my self that the work load of the Foundation Year will allow me to work for my A-Levels too.

I've also been told by a medical school that they can put me on a Foundation Course starting this September with my current A-Level grades. If I were to obtain 70% in the exams they would guarantee me an interview but not an offer. They also told me that there is a 1 in 10 chance that I will receive an offer after the interview.
This has added to my confusion I guess ...
Original post by SomMC1
They might just be nice and not to discourage you but I dont know as Im not the Admissions Officer; you might have a solid chance, but the amount of work this year would be very very large.

Either way, good luck!!
If you do really well at Manchester Uni (1st class honours degree) you might be considered for medicine if you reapply (no need to resit a-levels) along with more personal experience and maturity. Also, if you do apply, you can still go for undergrad entry (less competitive statistically than grad entry). It is longer, but in the end, if you want to study medicine, its a long process anyway. Either way, studying pharmacy probably isn't a bad plan b either.
Yesss, I totally understand and agree with what your saying. Another thing that triggers me a bit is the chances of exam clashes between my A-Level exams and the Foundation Year exams because they tend to happen during the summer/spring.

A schedule will definitely help and I guess I can do a bit of work experience now and again to help with stress and to boost my P.S for when or if I do apply for Medicine (2020 Entry)

Great quote. Let me do the honours and add the quotation marks --> "if you really ant something, you will make it happen"
A massive good luck to you too.
Original post by byaakun
I think it's mostly down to motivation and timing. If you have the motivation to juggle both resits and the foundation year, because medicine is what you really want to do, then I say at least try. The last thing you want to feel is regret. A good schedule to keep you on track with motivation, I think can bring you success. Just remember to take regular breaks.

A person who gave me some advice said (and this will sound corny asf but) if you really want something, you will make it happen. But anyway, I wish you luck with whatever option you choose!
For that legal reason I've booked an appointment with my Career Adviser to discuss in further detail.

The same Foundation Course I've referred too also applies to transfer on to Biomed and MPharm degree as well as a Physician Associate program. I'll have to ask the university about that question --> "And what happens after they decline you? Do you get transferred over to a biochem course within the same uni?".
Yes indeed the work load would be massive and a schedule would definitely, be needed to manage all that along with good old motivation:smile:
Original post by SomMC1
Firstly, im not even sure if it's legal or possible to be preparing for A level whilst you are at a different Institute! Secondly,the work load would be massive.

See that's the 'problem'; theyd only offer you an interview and most probably decline you anyways. And what happens after they decline you? Do you get transferred over to a biochem course within the same uni?
For that legal reason I've booked an appointment with my Career Adviser to discuss in further detail.

The same Foundation Course I've referred too also applies to transfer on to Biomed and MPharm degree as well as a Physician Associate program. I'll have to ask the university about that question --> "And what happens after they decline you? Do you get transferred over to a biochem course within the same uni?".
Yes indeed the work load would be massive and a schedule would definitely, be needed to manage all that along with good old motivation:smile:

Good idea for the meeting.

And maybe the Foundation year without the A levels retake is a good idea, IF the uni transfers you to Biomed or something you like instead. Thats some crucial info to know.
Great suggestion:smile:

I can't seem to get my head around the Undergraduate entry that you've recommended after obtaining the MPharm Degree (1st Class honours degree). Wouldn't I be classed as a Postgraduate after obtaining the MPharm Degree? Hence having to apply for Postgraduate Medicine and not Undergraduate
Thanks
Original post by psdg1397
If you do really well at Manchester Uni (1st class honours degree) you might be considered for medicine if you reapply (no need to resit a-levels) along with more personal experience and maturity. Also, if you do apply, you can still go for undergrad entry (less competitive statistically than grad entry). It is longer, but in the end, if you want to study medicine, its a long process anyway. Either way, studying pharmacy probably isn't a bad plan b either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending