The Student Room Group

How will a third year at college effect my chances of uni?

i want to study music at uni.
in year 12, i took music tech AS, english lit AS and french AS.
i got an E in eng lit so i had to drop it, and i picked up music a-level, meaning i'd have to take a third year to complete the course.
in year 13, i did music tech A2, french A2 and music AS.
for my results, i got C in music tech, D in french and B in music.
next year i want to retake french and maybe get my music tech coursework (70% of the grade) remarked.
originally, bristol looked like my best bet for a uni because i could get onto the music course with BBC as the contextual offer.
i'm really worried that no unis will take me, or i'll have to go to a uni that isn't as good or doesn't want people with grade 8 on an instrument (i'm currently working towards grade 8 for piano and plan to take it in winter).
i expect myself to get a B or an A for music A2 next year and a C for french - does anyone have any advice or alternative unis i could take a look at? i'm really worried and i really want to go to uni to learn more about music!
thanks
Original post by chargooch
i want to study music at uni.
in year 12, i took music tech AS, english lit AS and french AS.
i got an E in eng lit so i had to drop it, and i picked up music a-level, meaning i'd have to take a third year to complete the course.
in year 13, i did music tech A2, french A2 and music AS.
for my results, i got C in music tech, D in french and B in music.
next year i want to retake french and maybe get my music tech coursework (70% of the grade) remarked.
originally, bristol looked like my best bet for a uni because i could get onto the music course with BBC as the contextual offer.
i'm really worried that no unis will take me, or i'll have to go to a uni that isn't as good or doesn't want people with grade 8 on an instrument (i'm currently working towards grade 8 for piano and plan to take it in winter).
i expect myself to get a B or an A for music A2 next year and a C for french - does anyone have any advice or alternative unis i could take a look at? i'm really worried and i really want to go to uni to learn more about music!
thanks

There aren't that many unis that are bothered about level 3 qualifications over 3 years anymore. It's mostly just Oxford/Cambridge and med schools really.

So don't worry, there will still be lots of options open to you- especially if you have grade 8 too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending