The Student Room Group

Sociology A Level

I've just received a bad A Level Grade in Biology which I expected, so hoping to replace this with an A Level in sociology instead.

I currently work full time, 40 hours a week, and hoping to complete the qualification to sit exam in 2019. I was thinking of doing AQA. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with sitting the a level and wonder how hard it is to do in a year?

For reference I have an A* in Business and B in psychology, so if they are similar style exams I'll probably be okay, but would like some advice :smile:

Also which text books are best?
do aqa and buy the rob et al books. i got a B in sociology and i self taught in 1 year and im unhappy cos i wanted an A so im resitting.

Make all your notes before April and make sure you learn ALL the content.

can you give me some tips for psychology a level? im hoping to self teach that too but what would you say makes sure you get an A/A* grade? x
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by alevelshelpit
do aqa and buy the rob et al books. i got a B in sociology and i self taught in 1 year and im unhappy cos i wanted an A so im resitting.

Make all your notes before April and make sure you learn ALL the content.

can you give me some tips for psychology a level? im hoping to self teach that too but what would you say makes sure you get an A/A* grade? x

I worked at a sold A* for two years and then got a B in the exam so I can kind of help but the exams let me down, just make sure you know the case studies in and out but more than anything practice on evaluating everything as this holds a lot of marks, if you have the knowledge then the other questions are easy. thanks for your help x
Original post by fxlloutboyy
I worked at a sold A* for two years and then got a B in the exam so I can kind of help but the exams let me down, just make sure you know the case studies in and out but more than anything practice on evaluating everything as this holds a lot of marks, if you have the knowledge then the other questions are easy. thanks for your help x

why do you feel they let you down? is it because it was hard to remember all the evaluation and content?

for soc this is how you answer each question:
4 and 6 marks no eval (2 points for 4) (3 points for 6)
10 markers (2 paragraphs and evaluate each paragraph)
20 markers (4 paragraphs with evaluation, try and do eval for each para)
30 markers: 5-6 paragraphs, intro and conclusion and try and eval every paragraph.

how do i answer each question in psychology? could you reply on my thread if you dm? x
(edited 5 years ago)
maximum marks for essays are 16 marks: usually try 10 evaluation points and 6 for knowledge and discussion.
evaluate on anything over 8 marks.
6 mark questions are asking for 3 points explained, 4 marks are asking for 2 explained. the one mark questions still need to be briefly explained.

I don't know what let me down as my knowledge and discussion was excellent through the two years at sixth form, I was 7 marks off an A so can't really remark it either
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by fxlloutboyy
maximum marks for essays are 16 marks: usually try 10 evaluation points and 6 for knowledge and discussion.
evaluate on anything over 8 marks.
6 mark questions are asking for 3 points explained, 4 marks are asking for 2 explained. the one mark questions still need to be briefly explained.

I don't know what let me down as my knowledge and discussion was excellent through the two years at sixth form, I was 7 marks off an A so can't really remark it either

so for 16 markers how many paragraphs do i do?

how did you find the exams? do you think it was evaluation?

Quick Reply

Latest