The Student Room Group

Should Programming replace History in schools?

Should History be replaced by Programming for GCSEs? Considering how pretty much every company is using technology/software now, it seems this would have much more real - world value.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
An interesting quote by Steve Jobs was:

"Everybody should learn to program, because it teaches you how to think"
Reply 2
No. History shouldn't be replaced. Many kids really enjoy history and it teaches you how to think critically. I personally love finding out about how people used to live and what life was like.

Why should kids be denied the opportunity to do something they enjoy just because it might not be strictly useful in the world of work? Although I do work. I use history much more than I use computers. I don't need to know how to program. I need to know how to empathise. I also need an ability to piece together a story.

I don't have some niche job. I work in social care.
I think programming should be taught more, but I don’t think it should replace History; that’s an important topic too.
Why nuke history specifically for it over the vast myriad of other subjects kids do?
Original post by Jauikq6
An interesting quote by Steve Jobs was:

"Everybody should learn to program, because it teaches you how to think"

^- This. This is the point. Not the programming as a means to an end. I set my Y7 and Y8 students the task of writing out the steps required to draw a rectangle. They could use forward, left and right. It made their brains bleed. Students in most schools are not used to thinking. They are used to selecting the algorithm / process that allows them to answer the question. It is learning by rote disguised as problem solving. Maths is full of it. There is little problem solving in school maths.

Employers don't want programmers. They want problem solvers. Programming might be one of the solutions - but it might not be.
When we still have lessons like art and music compulsory till year 9, don't think history should be the lesson to bite the biscuit.
Reply 7
Original post by Guru Jason
When we still have lessons like art and music compulsory till year 9, don't think history should be the lesson to bite the biscuit.

Art and music aren't any less valuable than programming. ICT should really be the programme to bite the bullet. If it's anything like how it was when I was at school, it's completely worthless.
Original post by katf
Art and music aren't any less valuable than programming. ICT should really be the programme to bite the bullet. If it's anything like how it was when I was at school, it's completely worthless.

I think most schools are changing ICT to Computing which involves a slight bit of programming
No.
Why does history out of all subjects have to be replaced? I think ICT is more useless nowadays - though there should be lessons on how to use Excel formulae etc. I like programming, but it's not cumpolsory and shouldn't be for anyone unless you're taking a very mathematical or computing subject.
Reply 11
Not while Latin is still taught
Original post by Jauikq6
Should History be replaced by Programming for GCSEs? Considering how pretty much every company is using technology/software now, it seems this would have much more real - world value.

No and it shows you have a fundamental failing in understanding why History is important the the skills it teaches us.
I am surprised that everybody here has defended History in terms of its utility and the transferable skills it teaches and have not mentioned the fundamental value in understanding the past.
Original post by Alexnicklen96
I am surprised that everybody here has defended History in terms of its utility and the transferable skills it teaches and have not mentioned the fundamental value in understanding the past.

Didnt want to do the big history speech for an OP like this.
Original post by Alexnicklen96

I agree, I think it’s super important that children know our past, so for that reason alone it’s important that it stays.
I also think ICT is important, because you’d be surprised by the number of people that would no nothing about the basic use of microsoft office without it. If anything they should find a way to roll it into the ICT curriculum. Learn microsoft office by year 8, and spend the rest of the time on basic programming.
Reply 16
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”

- Edmund Burke (possibly, the history of the quote isn't, er, clear...)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jauikq6

The heck?

I did History GCSE and CompSci GCSE with a heavy programming element to it and it was absolutely fine. I enjoyed History a lot which reflected in my marks..

Not entirely sure why one needs to replace the other.
No i think both bc history develops critical thinking and analysis skills that many subjects dont
Don't history and computing have a similar status in most schools? As in they are optional for GCSEs?

I do think it's really good to have the chance to learn some programming at school, as it is needed for a lot of jobs.

However, history is also a really valuable subject. I think without history, it's hard to place our current politics in context, and understanding how historical events shaped the world is really important- to stop ourselves repeating it and to understand why, for example, certain groups are disadvantaged in society.

It also teaches useful skills, such as how to evaluate a source and structure an essay.

Why specifically instead of history? Why not instead of geography or MFL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending