A*A*A* at A-Level - should I reapply for Cambridge Medicine? Watch

Username1502
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

After receiving a post-interview rejection from an unfortunately competitive Cambridge college earlier this year, I was understandably very upset.

I was over the moon to find out that I had achieved grades A*A*A* on Thursday, meeting the conditions of my offer to study Medicine at UCL this September (A*AA).

When I was rejected from Cambridge, I used the thought that "I would miss an A*A*A offer anyway - that's too high to achieve" as a coping mechanism to help me get over it lol. Sitting here now with my achieved grades I can't help but think I might have a shot if I reapplied, now knowing the application process better.

I am stoked to study at UCL, and I know for a fact that my time there will be more chilled out, social and fun. And taking a year out just for Cambridge does seem very silly, given I have got a spot in med school.

Opinions please?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Username1502)
Hi,

After receiving a post-interview rejection from an unfortunately competitive Cambridge college earlier this year, I was understandably very upset.

I was over the moon to find out that I had achieved grades A*A*A* on Thursday, meeting the conditions of my offer to study Medicine at UCL this September (A*AA).

When I was rejected from Cambridge, I used the thought that "I would miss an A*A*A offer anyway - that's too high to achieve" as a coping mechanism to help me get over it lol. Sitting here now with my achieved grades I can't help but think I might have a shot if I reapplied, now knowing the application process better.

I am stoked to study at UCL, and I know for a fact that my time there will be more chilled out, social and fun. And taking a year out just for Cambridge does seem very silly, given I have got a spot in med school.

Opinions please?
Stay with UCL - there is no advantage in Cambridge for medicine. Please don't waste a year.
samaiyahaniff
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's your choice, but I feel like its just a really long process to go through writing a new personal statement, BMAT etc.
And plus, UCL is a really good university for medicine, but if Cambridge is really where you want to go, I'd say go for it.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Opinions please?
Medical school places are hard enough to get as is. Please stay with UCL :yep: especially because it seems like you are excited and will be happy there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vennessa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i say go for it you have nothing to lose. as you have actually got the grades now they are more likely to accept you
Izzythestudent
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would stay at UCL- if you don’t get in next year to Cambridge then you’ll be even more disappointed. They know what they want after the interview. But, follow your heart- if you really want to go to Cambridge, take a year out. ALso, UCL is excellent! Hope you come to a decision you’re happy with :-)
lia12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Firstly, congratulations! Those are some fantastic grades and you should be super proud of yourself

Alot of people miss out on getting even one medicine offer, so the fact that you managed to meet your UCL one is great. It's a lovely medical school (certainly not Cambridge) but truth be told medicine is one field where university rankings don't even matter.

You answered your question yourself, it is pretty silly to take an year off just to try your hand once again for Cambridge. What if you get rejected again? What if you get rejected from all your other choices too? There's so many risky variables involved, you cannot guarantee a success always. I would definitely grab that UCL offer... you make your own university experience!
HopelessMedic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would be madness in my opinion, you should know how uncertain getting offers are for medicine and to risk all for no real benefit doesn't make sense.
hannah00
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seems like a bad decision for a very marginal reward.with high risk

Alot can happen in 1 year, tuition fees may go up, cambridge may change the admission system etc
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you do decide to take a year out, try working as a care assistant. It'll give you a better understanding of the system. And more empathy with carers when you do work as a doctor. I've known some who really ignore the opinions of carers, whether professional or informal, and act like they automatically know best. And learning to listen will really help. I've known several doctors who don't know how to listen. Plus hands on experience will look really good on an application form.
orangegoat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hannah00)
Seems like a bad decision for a very marginal reward.with high risk

Alot can happen in 1 year, tuition fees may go up, cambridge may change the admission system etc
^this
Ecds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Opinions please?
Heya - I was in a very similar situation last year. I applied to Oxford and was rejected pre-interview due to a bad BMAT score (4.2, 4.5) as I panicked in the exam. It had been my life's dream to study medicine at Oxford and I was crushed. Later in the year I got two offers to study medicine at Bristol and UCL. On results day I was accepted into my firm choice of Bristol however my A level grades were 3A*s and an A plus and A* in the EPQ. I decided to re-apply for Oxford as I knew my GCSEs were strong enough (12A*s) and that I could do better in the BMAT.

I was called crazy by a couple of people and some people got annoyed that I turned down two medical schools but in the end it was worth it. My BMAT improved to 5.4 and 5.7 and I got an interview. Having had the beginnings of a gap year and having been through the UCAS process once before I felt a lot more confident as I just wanted to try and get an interview. I got an offer for Oxford along with two other medical offers and an offer to study biomedical sciences.

I would 100% recommend re-applying if it is your dream to go to Cambridge. Obviously the application process is very different to Oxford but I still think it is worth it.

My gap year has been very difficult mentally - I had to watch all of my friends go off to university, I went through a tough break up, and I honestly felt very lost at times. I had to receive NHS treatment for my anxiety. If you do decide to do this then be prepared for it to be a tough process. You will have to learn to be alone and how to be happy in a very different environment.

Although it was tough, I am so glad I re-applied. Medicine at Oxford was my dream course and I can't believe I'm going there in October. After Christmas everything became a lot easier and I am now able to cope with my anxiety and I am back with my boyfriend.

Some people will call you ungrateful, crazy, or just odd for re-applying but ultimately it is your choice. If you want to PM feel free. I completely understand your position.
Ecds
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In short - be prepared for the worst but ultimately if it's your dream then go for it!
Ecds
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by samaiyahaniff)
It's your choice, but I feel like its just a really long process to go through writing a new personal statement, BMAT etc.
And plus, UCL is a really good university for medicine, but if Cambridge is really where you want to go, I'd say go for it.
You don't need to write a new personal statement; if it's strong enough then you can just use the exact same one 😊
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've answered your own question.
yoyomynameis...
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Opinions please?
which college did you apply to?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads