The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

History at Durham, should I take it?

I got my A level results which were A*A*A with A's in Politics and English, and an A in History. I've always been so comfortable with Politics - I feel like I didn't revise much and still got full UMS whilst actually really enjoying the content I was learning, but History was another story. I love the subject so much but I always put in so much more effort than other subjects and can never quite get the top marks. My place to study History at Durham was confirmed on results day but I'm having second thoughts - if I'm that much better at politics shouldn't I be studying that? I'm so conflicted because History at Durham is so respected and I worked so hard to get those grades for the sole purpose of being accepted onto that course, and I've heard the Politics/IR department at Durham can be considered poor compared to other top unis. I don't know if it's worth swapping courses/taking a year out - any advice?
Take the subject you're most interested in. At the end of the day, your grades in both were excellent and not very different (maybe if you had received a B/C/etc. in History I'd be saying something different) which suggests that you'll be able to succeed whatever you take. You're going to be doing the subject for (at least) 3 years, and only that subject, so it has to be something you're really interested in and wanting to do.

Best of luck! :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
You could ask to do a joint honours course? History & Politics? Pretty sure Durham will allow you to change since it's quite a minor change just email them.
The reputation of the Politics department has certainly improved, and it is now ranked at around 5th in the UK. It is relatively easy to change courses in similar areas, and I know a girl who moved from History to History and Politics with relative ease. Perhaps take a module in Politics if possible, and see how History goes, and if Politics is better then work to move to it properly?
Reply 4
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
You could ask to do a joint honours course? History & Politics? Pretty sure Durham will allow you to change since it's quite a minor change just email them.

I've inquired a few times about joint honours courses and they don't offer History and Politics - they suggested I swap to Liberal Arts, or just continue with History and make my modules 'political'. A joint honours would be so perfect but I don't think it's possible at the uni I want to go to :frown: thanks for your response though!
Original post by anna_00
I've inquired a few times about joint honours courses and they don't offer History and Politics - they suggested I swap to Liberal Arts, or just continue with History and make my modules 'political'. A joint honours would be so perfect but I don't think it's possible at the uni I want to go to :frown: thanks for your response though!

I would suggest going into clearing or taking a gap year.
Original post by anna_00

If you don't want to do the history course honestly I would take a year out, and do a history and politics course somewhere else.
Original post by anna_00

You can do Combined Honors and just do History and Politics. Liberal Arts is the same.
Original post by anna_00

I can assure you Durham do offer History & Politics as part of their combined honours in social sciences. I would know, I did extensive research on all the courses offered in this program before I applied.
If it's something you're interested in, do it, because you're worrying yourself about extremely marginal differences in outcome. From an employment point of view, all anyone is going to see is "Durham" and your grade. It's not like anyone is going to fuss over whether it's in History, Politics or both.
Original post by anna_00
I got my A level results which were A*A*A with A's in Politics and English, and an A in History. I've always been so comfortable with Politics - I feel like I didn't revise much and still got full UMS whilst actually really enjoying the content I was learning, but History was another story. I love the subject so much but I always put in so much more effort than other subjects and can never quite get the top marks. My place to study History at Durham was confirmed on results day but I'm having second thoughts - if I'm that much better at politics shouldn't I be studying that? I'm so conflicted because History at Durham is so respected and I worked so hard to get those grades for the sole purpose of being accepted onto that course, and I've heard the Politics/IR department at Durham can be considered poor compared to other top unis. I don't know if it's worth swapping courses/taking a year out - any advice?

For what it's worth, I really liked A level Politics, and found it easier than History, but I now study it at degree level (entering my third year, not at Durham though) and it's very different, content wise, from the A level. Whereas the course I did for A level Politics centred around UK and US Politics, the degree itself has large focuses on Political Theory (essentially philosophy, which I've realised I hate) and International Relations. The areas covered in the A level, and similar areas, are only a small part of the degree course.

Basically - don't rush a decision to switch, and pay attention to specifically what Politics modules you'd be studying at degree level. You may well like degree level Politics (I've grown to enjoy it more as I get to choose which modules I do, but first year modules were not fun), but don't fall into the trap of thinking it'll just be like A level, continued.

I initially studied Law but didn't like it so rushed to change degree, considered either History or Politics as they were my favourite A levels, chose Politics, then realised it's not entirely similar to past study of the subject. But don't let me put you off switching if you like the look of the modules!
Reply 11
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
I can assure you Durham do offer History & Politics as part of their combined honours in social sciences. I would know, I did extensive research on all the courses offered in this program before I applied.

Could you provide me with a link? I've contacted undergraduate admissions and the departments themselves but I've always been told it's one or the other, but I can possibly take 2/6 modules in another department
Reply 12
Original post by doctorwhofan98
For what it's worth, I really liked A level Politics, and found it easier than History, but I now study it at degree level (entering my third year, not at Durham though) and it's very different, content wise, from the A level. Whereas the course I did for A level Politics centred around UK and US Politics, the degree itself has large focuses on Political Theory (essentially philosophy, which I've realised I hate) and International Relations. The areas covered in the A level, and similar areas, are only a small part of the degree course.

Basically - don't rush a decision to switch, and pay attention to specifically what Politics modules you'd be studying at degree level. You may well like degree level Politics (I've grown to enjoy it more as I get to choose which modules I do, but first year modules were not fun), but don't fall into the trap of thinking it'll just be like A level, continued.

I initially studied Law but didn't like it so rushed to change degree, considered either History or Politics as they were my favourite A levels, chose Politics, then realised it's not entirely similar to past study of the subject. But don't let me put you off switching if you like the look of the modules!

Thank you, this is really helpful! I did initially think Politics would be just like the A Level - I'll look into the course a bit more before jumping into anything :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Trinculo
If it's something you're interested in, do it, because you're worrying yourself about extremely marginal differences in outcome. From an employment point of view, all anyone is going to see is "Durham" and your grade. It's not like anyone is going to fuss over whether it's in History, Politics or both.

That's true, thank you! I'd like to do a GDL or any other sort of law conversion course so I always just assumed History would be the best step forward
Original post by anna_00
Could you provide me with a link? I've contacted undergraduate admissions and the departments themselves but I've always been told it's one or the other, but I can possibly take 2/6 modules in another department

https://www.dur.ac.uk/liberal.arts/ (if you want more of a focus on History & less in Politics)

https://www.dur.ac.uk/chss/ (if you want more of a focus on Politics & less in History)
I was in exactly the same position. I applied to Durham for history and got and offer for 2018 entry. In about June I decided that I wanted to study politics as part of my degree. I’m now going to study Combined Honours in social sciences there. I had a similar dilemma as I thought the history degree would be more respected. However I think Combined Honours will work much better for me as you can pick the history and politics modules you want to do- there are no compulsory modules

Quick Reply

Latest