The Student Room Group

In a very difficult situation with not meeting my medicine offer....

So, I received an offer to study medicine at Cambridge and King's College London with the entry requirements of A*A*A and A*AA respectively. What happened is that I got AAA so I missed my offer. Cambridge have a system where they might still give you a place if you're close enough to your offer (e.g. A*AA). If I resit, my chances of getting into Cambridge is lowered. I have no offers and I would prefer to resit than do a degree like biomedical science and apply for postgraduate entry. Also, my grades are roughly in the middle of their boundary so a good remark would be unlikely. What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

I know these are really competitive, but is a medicine foundation year an option at this point?
Original post by asdfghjkl88
So, I received an offer to study medicine at Cambridge and King's College London with the entry requirements of A*A*A and A*AA respectively. What happened is that I got AAA so I missed my offer. Cambridge have a system where they might still give you a place if you're close enough to your offer (e.g. A*AA). If I resit, my chances of getting into Cambridge is lowered. I have no offers and I would prefer to resit than do a degree like biomedical science and apply for postgraduate entry. Also, my grades are roughly in the middle of their boundary so a good remark would be unlikely. What do I do?

What subjects did you do at A levels? and with AAA you could still apply to medicine at other medical schools... you wouldn't need to resit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by dirt consider
I know these are really competitive, but is a medicine foundation year an option at this point?

I think because my A level results are high enough for most unis, I can't do the foundation year:s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by wolfmoon88
What subjects did you do at A levels? and with AAA you could still apply to medicine at other medical schools... you wouldn't need to resit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done Maths, Biology and Chemistry. Is there any way I could still get into Cambridge?
Damn, life is over without Cambridge, get a grip.
I've done Maths, Biology and Chemistry. Is there any way I could still get into Cambridge?

With resits and reapplication probably not. If two of your grades come up from remarks before August 31st you would still get into Cambridge and if one goes up you would still get into King's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by wolfmoon88
With resits and reapplication probably not. If two of your grades come up from remarks before August 31st you would still get into Cambridge and if one goes up you would still get into King's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thank you
Reply 8
I had an interview with St George's and failed it, so unfortunately can't enter through clearing with them
Reply 9
Alright, thank you

Don't resit. Most universities don't accept A level re-sits for Medicine. If possible, take a gap year and apply to other unis (reapplicants for Medicines aren't usually considered by most unis). You don't HAVE to go to just cambridge or kcl. try other unis next year?
I had an interview with St George's and failed it, so unfortunately can't enter through clearing with them

Have you thought about going to study in Europe?
Reply 11

Don't resit, spend the year exploring medicine and applying to medschools that ask for AAA.
Edit: also check out Clearing as per @Anagogic below :smile:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Most medicine applicants are unsuccessful first time around so applying to more suitable universities (not Cambridge/KCL in your case) in a gap year is completely normal.
(edited 5 years ago)
Apparently Keele has medicine in clearing and is looking for grades as low as ABB. So they'll snatch you up so long as all the places haven't already been filled.
Reply 13
Hey,

I don't understand the current offer system as I did my A Levels a few years ago...

Saying that, I would go for what I desire! If that's a medicine degree, do that. You need to ask yourself what you really desire to do. In the past, I have been lazy about going after (or just too scared to pursue) what I'm capable of, and have regretted the decisions I've made.

Don't sell yourself short, only go after things you want to do, and be patient if it takes a bit of time to get what you want.

Good luck

Reply 15
Original post by SomMC1
They might have spacing for medicine, but they are way too low in the rankings; ~300+ in THE uni ranking system. It would be quite unpleasant and upsetting for OP to go from having Oxbridge medical offer to going to a relatively unknown ~300 ranked uni, in my opinion.

Although ranks dont matter as much for medicine, I'd personally feel humiliated to enter a ~300 uni when I had a uni in top 5 as firm and top 15 as insurance.

Medicine is a brand new course at ARU - world rankings are completely irrelevant!
You'd be the same doctor no matter if you graduate from Cambridge/KCL or ARU.
There are certainly plenty of medical schools that would take those grades provided the rest of your application was also up to standard
Now more than ever seen as they're starting to fill shortages with less than capable candidates :rolleyes:
I have no idea why people are suggesting a foundation year, or international study.

OP has the grades for alot of unis - just not cambridge / kcl etc

Whether you went to Cambridge or ARU - at the end of the day you're going to be a doctor.

AAA is still good.There are medicine clearing places at places such as St George's and your grades of AAA are good enough.Applying for clearing med places would be your first bet,second bet would be to reapply next year but not resit anything as most unis want med applicants A levels to be taken in two years.
Original post by SomMC1
I wasn't aware of that so that's true though; in a couple of years the ranking for medicine should increase but generally the overall rank may be lower than the 'standard' OP would want with his/her grades.

I understand what you're saying. I just think it's more of an ego oriented issue with not willing to accept Anglia Ruskin or Keele for medicine, rather than thinking you'd be disadvantaged as an ARU doctor compared to a Cambridge doctor.

Rankings aren't that relevant,all medical schools have to conform to GMC standards anyway so it shouldn't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending