The Student Room Group

Can I resist A Levels that I did in 2015?

I have been trying to find a university place via clearing and have tried calling unis but my grades are quite poor (EEC) and they have advised me to re do my A Levels. The problem I have is I did my A Levels in 2015. I’ve heard about the a level reforms that have taken place but I do not fully understand what it means for students such as myself who did A Levels before the reform took place. Can I retake them this year? The subjects I did were chemistry history and maths. Somebody please help me. Thank you.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
bumping it and also because i want to know if you can
If the specification has changed for the exam boards you did, then you will have to do the new ones unfortunately. If it was 2016 and they changed the spec for that new year then you would have been able to do the old spec (the 2015 spec) as they make retake papers for 1 year extra. But since its been 3 years since you did them you will most likely have to do the new ones.
Also, are there not any foundation years you can do? I mean, you didn't fail I'm sure it is possible that there will be a uni that would take you for a foundation year.
Original post by pearl_rose
I have been trying to find a university place via clearing and have tried calling unis but my grades are quite poor (EEC) and they have advised me to re do my A Levels. The problem I have is I did my A Levels in 2015. I’ve heard about the a level reforms that have taken place but I do not fully understand what it means for students such as myself who did A Levels before the reform took place. Can I retake them this year? The subjects I did were chemistry history and maths. Somebody please help me. Thank you.

You would be able to resit maths in 2019; the last year when the modules are offered.

Original post by Muttley79
You would be able to resit maths in 2019; the last year when the modules are offered.

Let me point out that you can't if you have already cashed in and since you already have your grades it seems likely to be the case.
Original post by Quantum Horizon
Let me point out that you can't if you have already cashed in and since you already have your grades it seems likely to be the case.

Sorry that is wrong - you can unlock modules and resit :smile: I'm a teacher and this is common.
Reply 8

You can't do the same type of A levels that were taken back in 2015. I sat my A levels in 2016 and I had a friend who failed that year. She did them again in 2017 and failed. She was later told that if she were gonna do A levels again then she is gonna have to do the new spec. In 2017 the old spec was only available for those who wanted to retake and not for new students. And it is now no longer available

In your case if you want to do A levels you have to do the new spec and you are going to have to sit all the papers in one summer. I think its 3 papers per subject in some cases 4. But I would advise against doing a levels again. The new spec is hard and there are some things on there that you wouldn't probably be familiar with. Its honestly hard work

I'm assuming you're like 21? do correct me if I'm wrong. But you can do an access course. Depending on the degree you want to do at uni, I think it would be much easier for you. And since you have done A levels before it shouldn't be hard at all. You can basically get into any uni you want depending on the grades that they require. Feel free to ask any questions :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by noey123
You can't do the same type of A levels that were taken back in 2015. I sat my A levels in 2016 and I had a friend who failed that year. She did them again in 2017 and failed. She was later told that if she were gonna do A levels again then she is gonna have to do the new spec. In 2017 the old spec was only available for those who wanted to retake and not for new students. And it is now no longer available

In your case if you want to do A levels you have to do the new spec and you are going to have to sit all the papers in one summer. I think its 3 papers per subject in some cases 4. But I would advise against doing a levels again. The new spec is hard and there are some things on there that you wouldn't probably be familiar with. Its honestly hard work

I'm assuming you're like 21? do correct me if I'm wrong. But you can do an access course. Depending on the degree you want to do at uni, I think it would be much easier for you. And since you have done A levels before it shouldn't be hard at all. You can basically get into any uni you want depending on the grades that they require. Feel free to ask any questions :smile:

Hey thanks for the response I really appreciate that, I'm 22 at the moment. I actually don't mind doing A Levels again and would rather do that as opposed to doing an access course. However, i did chemistry at A Level so will I have to take part in the practical element of the course? And would I have to do the coursework again? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Hey thanks for the response I really appreciate that, I'm 22 at the moment. I actually don't mind doing A Levels again and would rather do that as opposed to doing an access course. However, i did chemistry at A Level so will I have to take part in the practical element of the course? And would I have to do the coursework again? Can anyone shed some light on this?

hey there

In your original post you mentioned that you got a C in one of the subjects. Was that chemistry? if your are gong to to do chemistry you are going to have to do the whole thing from scratch. This means taking part of the practice element of the course or any coursework. You have to start everything from the beginning. if you know what exam board you are doing you can go on the exam boards website and see what are the main things you need to cover. Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest