The Student Room Group

why are stem cells in bone marrow?

can someone help me understand this because it doesn't say anything about it online or in my textbook :frown:

thanks
Original post by I'mComingOxford
can someone help me understand this because it doesn't say anything about it online or in my textbook :frown:

thanks

Hi

The stem cells in your bone marrow create blood cells. This is especially important as red blood cells have no nucleus and so can't replicate themselves in the normal way via mitosis.

The stem cells in your bone marrow can only develop into certain types of cell (multipotent) unlike the stem cells in embryos which can produce any type of cell found needed in the embryo (pluripotent).

Does this help a bit?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi

The stem cells in your bone marrow create blood cells. This is especially important as red blood cells have no nucleus and so can't replicate themselves in the normal way via mitosis.

The stem cells in your bone marrow can only develop into certain types of cell (multipotent) unlike the stem cells in embryos which can produce any type of cell found needed in the embryo (pluripotent).

Does this help a bit?

so stem cells need bone marrow to produce blood cells?

and red blood cells replicate when in bone marrow which is why stem cells are in bone marrow?

thanks for your h;lp
so stem cells need bone marrow to produce blood cells?

and red blood cells replicate when in bone marrow which is why stem cells are in bone marrow?

thanks for your h;lp

Bone marrow is made of stem cells- some of these produce blood cells, and some of these produce your bones and cartilage and other connective tissue.

Red blood cells can't replicate themselves, so they are only produced by stem cells in the bone marrow.
Bone marrow is made of stem cells- some of these produce blood cells, and some of these produce your bones and cartilage and other connective tissue.

Red blood cells can't replicate themselves, so they are only produced by stem cells in the bone marrow.

thank you ever so much :smile:

final question, what would you say is an effective way of revising for combined science. currently i use my textbook and Seneca learning and going to use flash cards when i get back to school. I aim to finish/cover the spec by november and make flashcards along the way. is this a good approach in getting atleast an 7.
thank you ever so much :smile:

final question, what would you say is an effective way of revising for combined science. currently i use my textbook and Seneca learning and going to use flash cards when i get back to school. I aim to finish/cover the spec by november and make flashcards along the way. is this a good approach in getting atleast an 7.

I did my GCSEs over 10 years ago, so take all of this with a pinch of salt.

I think what you have planned sounds like a good start. I think there are some great youtube videos out there now which may help you revise.

Also don't forget to look at past papers (use other exam boards as well) to get an idea of the exam technique you need- this can make a huge difference to getting the marks you need. Make sure you learn key definitions as often you can't get the marks if you don't use the right scientific language.
I did my GCSEs over 10 years ago, so take all of this with a pinch of salt.

I think what you have planned sounds like a good start. I think there are some great youtube videos out there now which may help you revise.

Also don't forget to look at past papers (use other exam boards as well) to get an idea of the exam technique you need- this can make a huge difference to getting the marks you need. Make sure you learn key definitions as often you can't get the marks if you don't use the right scientific language.

ok, thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest