The Student Room Group

Hello smart people, I need ur hel🅱️

I’ve been struggling a bit with revision ever since I got back my less than stellar a level predicted grades and now going into year 13 I really need to go that extra mile if I want to get to where I want 😔

What’s your best revision tips? 📝 Your favourite Spotify playlist? 🎧 How do you take notes? (Do you have bio/chem 🔬 notes you’d be happy to give out to a intellectually crippled child? Think of it as make a wish or whatever).

Pls halp.

👉👉👉👉 I’ve also decided that for every comment, I’ll make a conscious effort to spend 1 whole hour revising ‼️with NO distractions ‼️ which is going to KILL ME bc I’m addicted to twitter & IG 👈👈👈👈

It’s not much but it’s a start I guess 😅
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What subjects are you doing ?
Reply 2
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
What subjects are you doing ?

Biology, chemistry, maths. Regrettable.
(edited 5 years ago)
I hardly ever make notes for revision, I just try and do as many past paper questions as possible to get a sense of what the mark scheme would be for the exam, (at GCSEs I basically learnt the mark scheme to all the regular occurring questions, got straight A*s), however with the reformed A-Levelsthere are less of these to actually use to practice, so this method may no be suitable for the current year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Willanator
I hardly ever make notes for revision, I just try and do as many past paper questions as possible to get a sense of what the mark scheme would be for the exam, (at GCSEs I basically learnt the mark scheme to all the regular occurring questions, got straight A*s), however with the reformed lessons there are less of these to actually use to practice, so this method may no be suitable for the current year.

Thank u 4 ur hel🅱️ mother Theresa may but there’s limited pp qs due to the new linear spec and I don’t want to use them all up right at the start. I’ll just sleep on my textbook and try to learn through osmosis or smth
Reply 5
- Make really simplified notes in your own words for all the content in your bio and chem modules (ideally start now). Try to teach yourself everything within the next 2-3 months (dw, it's easy once you get used to it, you'll be flying through the content). Write your notes in your own words, don't just copy. Write bio notes on word document, not paper as you'll want to edit them later to simplify them even more. Make chem notes on paper as you can't really write equations on a word document. Use a CGP book alongside your standard textbook and make notes for each topic using BOTH books

- Any material you don't understand, look it up on youtube or google, or look at a google image

- After you've got all your notes, go through your specification to see if you've missed anything out

- If you follow the above steps, you'll have over 6 months to do practice questions and perfect your exam technique. And 6 months to revise your notes. And integrate exam style answers into your notes. I.e. if the exam wants you to talk about nerve 'impulses', and not use the word 'signal', then make sure you write 'impulses' in your notes, and not 'signal'

I got ABBC in AS, but used the methods above, and got A*AA in A2
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by i cry a lot
Thank u 4 ur hel🅱️ mother Theresa may but there’s limited pp qs due to the new linear spec and I don’t want to use them all up right at the start. I’ll just sleep on my textbook and try to learn through osmosis or smth

I agree! I wouldn't use up your only past papers. Use old spec questions for biology and chemistry until you feel 100% ready to sit a paper. That's what I did.
Now to answer your question :biggrin: I can give tips for Bio and Chem 😅.

I dont listen to music whilst doing work because it is distracting and I want to concentrate fully when I'm studying.

I dont make notes, I made some for Bio but it was useless. The information just doesn't stick in my head .

Revision tips :for Chem watch Machemguy videos and just practice questions. Make sure you understand the concepts, chemistry is not about memorisation but about understanding.

For Bio, I watch snap revise, I have a spreadsheet of questions and answers based on the specification. I learn mark scheme answers. If there are processes to memorise like steps of mitosis, I try and understand it and then write the steps out over and over again until I can regurgitate them easily I use the Kerboodle textbook and this other one the school gave us.

General tips : get rid of all your distractions, if it means giving your phone to a sibling or parent to hide from you whilst you study to avoid you using it, do it. Use the pomodoro method - 25 minutes work and 5 minute break. Use the specification to know exactly what you need to know. Learn the work as you go along and don't leave it last minute and cram. Don't burn out.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by HGS345
- Make really simplified notes in your own words for all the content in your bio and chem modules (ideally start now). Try to teach yourself everything within the next 2-3 months (dw, it's easy once you get used to it, you'll be flying through the content). Write your notes in your own words, don't just copy. Write bio notes on word document, not paper as you'll want to edit them later to simplify them even more. Make chem notes on paper as you can't really write equations on a word document. Use a CGP book alongside your standard textbook and make notes for each topic using BOTH books

- Any material you don't understand, look it up on youtube or google, or look at a google image

- After you've got all your notes, go through your specification to see if you've missed anything out

- If you follow the above steps, you'll have over 6 months to do practice questions and perfect your exam technique. And 6 months to revise your notes

I got ABBC in AS, but used the methods above, and got A*AA in A2

First of all, congrats on your amazing grades! You definitely deserved it based of off how you revised. Thanks you for all those hel🅱️s, and out of curiosity, how many hours per day would you study during year 13?
Reply 9
Now to answer your question :biggrin: I can give tips for Bio and Chem 😅.

I dont listen to music whilst doing work because it is distracting and I want to concentrate fully when I'm studying.

I dont make notes, I made some for Bio but it was useless. The information just doesn't stick in my head .

Revision tips :for Chem watch Machen guy videos and just practice questions. Make sure you understand the concepts chemistry is not about memorisation but about understanding.

For Bio, I watch snap revise, I have a spreadsheet of questions and answers based on the specification. I learn mark scheme answers. If there are processes to memorise like steps of mitosis, I try and understand it and then write the steps out over and over again until I can regurgitate them easily I use the Kerboodle textbook and this other one the school gave us.

General tips : get rid of all your distractions, if it means giving your phone to a sibling or parent to hide from you whilst you study to avoid you using it, do it. Use the pomodoro method - 25 minutes work and 5 minute break. Use the specification to know exactly what you need to know. Learn the work as you go along and don't leave it last minute and cram. Don't burn out.

Thank you so much!! Very useful hel🅱️s!! Did you buy a subscription to snaprevise? Do you think it’s worth it??
Reply 10
First of all, congrats on your amazing grades! You definitely deserved it based of off how you revised. Thanks you for all those hel🅱️s, and out of curiosity, how many hours per day would you study during year 13?

Thank you. I can assure you if you follow that method you will be hard pressed not to get A*/A's. My method basically goes against the school method lol. As the school method is designed for the average student, so don't expect above average grades following an average system.

I would say 3/4 hours per day. However, if you teach yourself everything within 2-3 months, the rest of your year will be very relaxed as all you'll be doing is exam practice, and exam technique comes from spending a little bit of time each day over a long period of time, as opposed to cramming 6 hours a day over 2-3 weeks. Make sure when you self mark your practice questions, you check where you went wrong and also where you went right. As you may have fluked some of the areas you got right, so you want to make sure you know exactly why you got the marks you did, from the positive and negative perspectives.
Original post by HGS345
Thank you. I can assure you if you follow that method you will be hard pressed not to get A*/A's. My method basically goes against the school method lol. As the school method is designed for the average student, so don't expect above average grades following an average system.

I would say 3/4 hours per day. However, if you teach yourself everything within 2-3 months, the rest of your year will be very relaxed as all you'll be doing is exam practice, and exam technique comes from spending a little bit of time each day over a long period of time, as opposed to cramming 6 hours a day over 2-3 weeks. Make sure when you self mark your practice questions, you check where you went wrong and also where you went right. As you may have fluked some of the areas you got right, so you want to make sure you know exactly why you got the marks you did, from the positive and negative perspectives.

Do you really thinks it’s possible to fit a whole year and half worth of content into 2 months for the more...uh.... academically challenged individuals? I was under the notion that they took months to learn?
Thank you so much!! Very useful hel🅱️s!! Did you buy a subscription to snaprevise? Do you think it’s worth it??

Yes I did buy the subscription. It was worth it for me because I personally learn very well with the use of videos and there are not many biology videos online for a level. It depends what your learning style is. I watch the videos to help me understand a topic at the beginning but then I also use biology notes I find online and the textbook to help me fully understand the topic, so the videos give me a good basis. Also snap revise, gives you notes as well which are quite good which I use.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Do you really thinks it’s possible to fit a whole year and half worth of content into 2 months for the more...uh.... academically challenged individuals? I was under the notion that they took months to learn?

Yeah, I did it myself and sciences are my weakness lol. If you're studying Biology and Chemistry then it's highly unlikely you're academically challenged, so don't undermine yourself, you're more capable than you know it.
I am more adept at the languages and liberal arts. There's a few topics that initially seem very challenging, but eventually you realise it's easy, but most of the topics you'll find are fairly straight forward. You'll find that once you're used to teaching yourself, you process information much easier. As most people's brains are used to having everything explained to them by a teacher as opposed to learning it themselves. Also, textbooks, especially school ones, tend to make things overly complicated. E.g. usually, a biology textbook will have 3-4 pages just covering action potentials, when you can just watch a 5 minute youtube video and learn it in 5 minutes lol
Yes I did buy the subscription. It was with worth it for me because I personally learn very well when using videos and there are not many biology videos online for a level. It depends what your learning style is. I watch the videos to help me understand a topic at the beginning but then I also use biology notes I find online and the textbook to help me fully understand the topic, so the videos give me a good basis. Also snap revise, gives you notes as well which are quite good which I use.

Ah I see. Their videos and notes seem good from what I’ve seen but I wasn’t sure if they were worth paying for. I’ll definitely check it out as well as try all your other tips. Truly, thank you for taking time to answer so thoughtfully and in detail. Much appreciated 😁
Original post by HGS345
Yeah, I did it myself and sciences are my weakness lol. If you're studying Biology and Chemistry then it's highly unlikely you're academically challenged, so don't undermine yourself, you're more capable than you know it.
I am more adept at the languages and liberal arts. There's a few topics that initially seem very challenging, but eventually you realise it's easy, but most of the topics you'll find are fairly straight forward. You'll find that once you're used to teaching yourself, you process information much easier. As most people's brains are used to having everything explained to them by a teacher as opposed to learning it themselves. Also, textbooks, especially school ones, tend to make things overly complicated. E.g. usually, a biology textbook will have 3-4 pages just covering action potentials, when you can just watch a 5 minute youtube video and learn it in 5 minutes lol

I totally agree, the textbooks do sometimes overcomplicate things and have too much waffle. So watching a video about a topic can be quite a good idea. I use 2 textbooks and different online notes which I compare to see which information is relevant and what is waffle. Also look at past paper questions to see what kind of stuff they ask about certain topics because sometimes the questions for some topics are very similar every time!
Ah I see. Their videos and notes seem good from what I’ve seen but I wasn’t sure if they were worth paying for. I’ll definitely check it out as well as try all your other tips. Truly, thank you for taking time to answer so thoughtfully and in detail. Much appreciated 😁

No problem :smile: Glad you find my tips helpful.
Imagine being smart....can’t relate
I’ve been struggling a bit with revision ever since I got back my less than stellar a level predicted grades and now going into year 13 I really need to go that extra mile if I want to get to where I want 😔🔫

What’s your best revision tips? 📝 Your favourite Spotify playlist? 🎧 How do you take notes? (Do you have bio/chem 🔬 notes you’d be happy to give out to a intellectually crippled child? Think of it as make a wish or whatever).

Pls halp.

👉👉👉👉 I’ve also decided that for every comment, I’ll make a conscious effort to spend 1 whole hour revising ‼️with NO distractions ‼️ which is going to KILL ME bc I’m addicted to twitter & IG 👈👈👈👈

It’s not much but it’s a start I guess 😅

Delete twitter and ig
Reply 19
dont take it too srs what grades u get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending