The Student Room Group

Need help on my academic situation, what can I do to get in to IB?

Hiiii everyone, I am just wondering what are my chances of getting in to Investment Banking and if you have any suggestions on ways I could improve my chances, what kind of stuff could I do in uni to enhance my CV?

Bearing in mind I went to a fairly inadequate school for secondary, I am also from a deprived area which has a very low progression to higher Education.

My academic timeline so far is as follows;

In year 10 I achieved 2Bs for GCSEs

In year 11 I achieved 2A*5As for GCSEs

I chose to study Mathematics, Economics, Physics (a big mistake) for A levels and I was able to get in to a top Grammar sixthform, overall the transition was difficult. I do have some mitigating circumstances which made me underperform during my A levels such as increased responsibilities at home due to poor health running in my family, unfortunately my mother is suffering from a brain problem and my elderly father who requires support as well as my younger brother who’s recovering from a stroke.

So, in year 12 I achieved BCC in those subjects for AS

In year 13 I achieved AAC in those subjects for my A levels.

I have got in to A&F at Warwick University and I opted to do a foundation year to make up for my C in physics A level. I had the opportunity to go through clearing to other top universities but my heart was set on warwick as I loved it there during my interview, plus it’s a target university. I’m quite unsure whether the foundation year would be able to compensate for my grade in physics or should I choose to pick up an easy subject like business studies for A levels (as well as doing my foundation year) and aim to get an A/A* in it. I know physics is unrelated to IB/ A&F but it is important I demonstrate a strong educational background. Do A levels matter as much? I hope to work hard and build on many of my subject skills which would help me gain a 2:1 or a 1st. I also plan to join many societies as I can. I notice I lack work experience and I am also wondering what could I do to gain some? The university course is 4 years in total including the foundation year and 5 years with a Placement year, is the Placement year worth it to get in to IB?

What else do I need to do to improve the attractiveness of my CV to get easily recruited by a top investment firm?

Thank you for all the help in advance

Scroll to see replies

You can sell your soul.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yudothis
You can sell your sole.

I appreciate your efforts to help.
given you love warwick, i would say take the foundation year (only if its guaranteed you will start first year at warwick). no bank cares. use the year to grow your ib knowledge and collect some experience in order to make good spring week apps for the following year as well as getting high marks so you can get into warwick UG.

alongside the foundation would you be willing to retake physics to an A/A* level?

your gcses are good too.
Reply 4
Original post by lowwkey
given you love warwick, i would say take the foundation year (only if its guaranteed you will start first year at warwick). no bank cares. use the year to grow your ib knowledge and collect some experience in order to make good spring week apps for the following year as well as getting high marks so you can get into warwick UG.

alongside the foundation would you be willing to retake physics to an A/A* level?

your gcses are good too.

An advantage of the FY is that it gives me the opportunity to apply to study at LSE, which I may consider doing. Tbh im not entirely sure whether I should take the opportunity bc LSE offers no Placement year. I’ve been told by career advisors that my C in physics does not matter as I do have the standard UCAS points needed 120+ to apply to top banking firms.

I honestly hated studying physics at A levels and I underperformed because I lacked the practical experience which I needed from Ks3/ GCSEs to help me understand the A level practical content which I was assessed in during my exams and I achieved an E in that paper lol (this was bc I attended a very poor secondary school) but I managed to achieve Bs in other papers.

I really don’t want to retake my physics a level as I lack the motivation for it and my passion lies in a completely different field, are there any other options or am I panicking too much?

Thank you for all the help :smile:))
Original post by rhxo1259
An advantage of the FY is that it gives me the opportunity to apply to study at LSE, which I may consider doing. Tbh im not entirely sure whether I should take the opportunity bc LSE offers no Placement year. I’ve been told by career advisors that my C in physics does not matter as I do have the standard UCAS points needed 120+ to apply to top banking firms.

I honestly hated studying physics at A levels and I underperformed because I lacked the practical experience which I needed from Ks3/ GCSEs to help me understand the A level practical content which I was assessed in during my exams and I achieved an E in that paper lol (this was bc I attended a very poor secondary school) but I managed to achieve Bs in other papers.

I really don’t want to retake my physics a level as I lack the motivation for it and my passion lies in a completely different field, are there any other options or am I panicking too much?

Thank you for all the help :smile:))

from what ive seen, banks/consultancies/law firms all require 128/136 (ABB/AAB) ucas points minimum so i would really promote the idea of you retaking.

and if you prefer LSE over warwick, then that is more reason to retake because ik loads of guys who have retaken and have been accepted my LSE (you just need a strong personal statement) + you already have 2 A's which makes predictions easier.

i do understand your frustrations with alevel physics as i also did the course, but you have all year which is plenty of time to really understand the basics and work your way up to the more difficult application questions.

taking a gap year over a FY means it will be free, you'll have loads of time to focus on physics, earn some money and also prep for banking apps.
Reply 6
Original post by lowwkey
from what ive seen, banks/consultancies/law firms all require 128/136 (ABB/AAB) ucas points minimum so i would really promote the idea of you retaking.

and if you prefer LSE over warwick, then that is more reason to retake because ik loads of guys who have retaken and have been accepted my LSE (you just need a strong personal statement) + you already have 2 A's which makes predictions easier.

i do understand your frustrations with alevel physics as i also did the course, but you have all year which is plenty of time to really understand the basics and work your way up to the more difficult application questions.

taking a gap year over a FY means it will be free, you'll have loads of time to focus on physics, earn some money and also prep for banking apps.

AAC is also equivalent to 128 UCAS points so should I still consider retaking physics? I can put in the work but the foundation year is pretty intense especially because you actually need no academic requirements (only extenuating circumstances, a well rounded PS to get in and an interview) In the end, you need to be at the same level of A level students who are achieving AAA/A*AA by scoring a high % when assessed for examinations so do you think it’s still worth it to retake? The foundation year is also free, I just need to repay my maintenance loan.

I appreciate all your advice.
(edited 5 years ago)
AAC is also equivalent to 128 UCAS points so should I still consider retaking physics? I can put in the work but the foundation year is pretty intense especially because you actually need no requirements (only extenuating circumstances and a well rounded PS to get in), you need to be at the same level of A level students who are achieving AAA/A*AA so do you think it’s still wort h it to retake ?? The foundation year is also free, I just need to repay my maintenance loan

i would say given you have the opp, go for boosting your alevels as high as possible... AAA* or AAA potentially :P

Even though the FY is free technically, explaining why you're at a university already on your personal statement will be quite challenging, so i would say either go down the gap year route or fully focus on the FY

and if you can handle retaking both physics & business/accounting alevel why not
Reply 8
Original post by lowwkey
i would say given you have the opp, go for boosting your alevels as high as possible... AAA* or AAA potentially :P

Even though the FY is free technically, explaining why you're at a university already on your personal statement will be quite challenging, so i would say either go down the gap year route or fully focus on the FY

and if you can handle retaking both physics & business/accounting alevel why not

Say if I retook my physics a-level and achieved only a slightly higher grade, a B and I did very well during my FY, am I on a par with someone who did not go through the FY at all and got 3As in the eyes of a recruiter at a top Investment bank? I’m hoping they would show some sympathy to my reasons behind my average performance at A-levels
Hiiii everyone, I am just wondering what are my chances of getting in to Investment Banking and if you have any suggestions on ways I could improve my chances, what kind of stuff could I do in uni to enhance my CV?

Bearing in mind I went to a fairly inadequate school for secondary, I am also from a deprived area which has a very low progression to higher Education.

My academic timeline so far is as follows;

In year 10 I achieved 2Bs for GCSEs

In year 11 I achieved 2A*5As for GCSEs

I chose to study Mathematics, Economics, Physics (a big mistake) for A levels and I was able to get in to a top Grammar sixthform, overall the transition was difficult. I do have some mitigating circumstances which made me underperform during my A levels such as increased responsibilities at home due to poor health running in my family, unfortunately my mother is suffering from a brain problem and my elderly father who requires support as well as my younger brother who’s recovering from a stroke.

So, in year 12 I achieved BCC in those subjects for AS

In year 13 I achieved AAC in those subjects for my A levels.

I have got in to A&F at Warwick University and I opted to do a foundation year to make up for my C in physics A level. I had the opportunity to go through clearing to other top universities but my heart was set on warwick as I loved it there during my interview, plus it’s a target university. I’m quite unsure whether the foundation year would be able to compensate for my grade in physics or should I choose to pick up an easy subject like business studies for A levels (as well as doing my foundation year) and aim to get an A/A* in it. I know physics is unrelated to IB/ A&F but it is important I demonstrate a strong educational background. Do A levels matter as much? I hope to work hard and build on many of my subject skills which would help me gain a 2:1 or a 1st. I also plan to join many societies as I can. I notice I lack work experience and I am also wondering what could I do to gain some? The university course is 4 years in total including the foundation year and 5 years with a Placement year, is the Placement year worth it to get in to IB?

What else do I need to do to improve the attractiveness of my CV to get easily recruited by a top investment firm?

Thank you for all the help in advance

since when does Warwick uni do interviews for A&F?
Why would you want to retake your physics if youre already at uni?
Original post by lowwkey

I think that the OPs circumstances may differ. If they get full loans, and possibly some university bursary for being from a low income household they could be far better off taking the year at Warwick and getting a part time job than trying to find work in a low income area (although Warwick is also in a low income area but they would have some cash already). Far more likely to get decent careers advice from the university and other students - many of which will be very focused in similar careers and well connected. Plenty of societies to join - much more fun than collecting glasses in a pub on a zero hours contract.
Reply 11
Original post by SomMC1
since when does Warwick uni do interviews for A&F?
Why would you want to retake your physics if youre already at uni?

For the foundation year, IB is very competitive and many firms look for candidates with a strong academic background. I achieved AAC at A levels please read original post
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
I think that the OPs circumstances may differ. If they get full loans, and possibly some university bursary for being from a low income household they could be far better off taking the year at Warwick and getting a part time job than trying to find work in a low income area (although Warwick is also in a low income area but they would have some cash already). Far more likely to get decent careers advice from the university and other students - many of which will be very focused in similar careers and well connected. Plenty of societies to join - much more fun than collecting glasses in a pub on a zero hours contract.

You took the words right out of my mouth!
Reply 13

In a good way btw
I know nothing about IB requirements, but would look at the exam styles and papers for , say, accounting, business, whatever and see what suits your skillset and is somewhat accessible for self studying. Also check the percentages of people getting A's and B's - I'd be a bit concerned about studying from textbooks for courses where not many people get high grades. You also need to check availability of exam centres and the dates of the exams - it would be a bit of a disaster if they clashed with university exams.

I think this forum is a bit strange at times. Its very different finding and enjoying work in richer parts of the country than many other areas. Lots of people - if they boxed clever - would be better off taking a university course in a place with reasonable rents and working part time/ summer jobs that sweating in an Amazon warehouse being treated like cr*p. Whereabouts are you from?

Oh, as a wild idea, have you looked into army reserves type schemes? They used to be a good way to gain skills and earn some money. A bunch of mates of mine at university (too long ago to be worth anything as advice) joined the navy reserves, loved it, and found it worked well when they applied for banking jobs. Two from very working class families (which is why they needed the money) are pretty rich now - as in buy parents a house and fly them business class to see you in Singapore wealthy.
Reply 16
Original post by ajj2000
I think this forum is a bit strange at times. Its very different finding and enjoying work in richer parts of the country than many other areas. Lots of people - if they boxed clever - would be better off taking a university course in a place with reasonable rents and working part time/ summer jobs that sweating in an Amazon warehouse being treated like cr*p. Whereabouts are you from?

Oh, as a wild idea, have you looked into army reserves type schemes? They used to be a good way to gain skills and earn some money. A bunch of mates of mine at university (too long ago to be worth anything as advice) joined the navy reserves, loved it, and found it worked well when they applied for banking jobs. Two from very working class families (which is why they needed the money) are pretty rich now - as in buy parents a house and fly them business class to see you in Singapore wealthy.

Thank you so much for all the advice on self studying. Do you think retaking my physics a level to improve my grade C to at least a B or studying a whole new subject is worth it? I have prior knowledge in physics and I know how to find its resources.
I am from the West Midlands, in the same region as Warwick but also intend to move out for university and about navy reserves that’s a fantastic idea but I can’t swim to save my life haha and wow I would love to do that for my parents as I haven’t been abroad since I was 9!! 😭

Thank you for the help
(edited 5 years ago)
Experience, networking and getting an internship before spring weeks/summers is key imo. Will make up for the C.
Reply 18
Just a small input. Placements are amazing. Any work experience you can get really. As it shows you have an understanding of the job role and you will learn more real life situations. It’s getting to the point where all industries are loving work experience if you can do it.

It will even get you meeting people it that industry that you could stay in touch with and get advice from
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by rhino552
Experience, networking and getting an internship before spring weeks/summers is key imo. Will make up for the C.

Say I do this, would I still be ‘filtered out’ before they view my applications due to the C or is it a TSR myth ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending