The Student Room Group

Jack's A-level journey

Hello everybody!

I couldn't come up with a better title so it's literally just straight to the point. I'm sure everybody reading this knows what I'm about to do here, so I'll just go ahead and announce my grades/where I'm at before discussing some more underneath.

GCSE grades

Spoiler

AS grade

Spoiler

A-level predicted grades

Spoiler

Aiming for

Spoiler

I want to do a BSc in Computer Science (love it), and at the moment I'm thinking of aiming for Durham (just leaving Y12), as I went to the open day and found it to be great, before doing further research and liking it even more :smile:. I have a strong personal statement with a lot of 'super curricular' CS activities, although I am disappointed with my initial predicted grade in Maths and am going to attempt to get this changed, as I've had a lot of personal issues this year to deal with meaning my grades have slipped.

Furthermore, in Maths specifically, I've had an incapable private tutor (who we kept on from GCSE) and haven't been putting in the effort required, somewhat due to the issues mentioned above. If I'm honest, I didn't even revise for the AS internal mock exam that this predicted grade is based off, because despite being able when I put my mind to it I knew I couldn't boost myself up to an A in a matter of days (finally got motivated at the end).

Also worth noting that I'm somewhat worried about my B in Physics (downward trend?), and wondering what impact this will actually have in terms of applying to uni.

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this so hopefully some people are interested in following along, that'd mean I'm not alone on this thread. :tongue:

If you have any questions/feel there's something I've not covered here/wish to offer advice, or just want to come along for the ride, please post below. Thanks! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck:hugs:
Edit: just moved this to grow your grades 2018-2019
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Toastiekid
Best of luck:hugs:
Edit: just moved this to grow your grades 2018-2019

Thank you.
Original post by Jackudy3

Hello everybody!

I couldn't come up with a better title so it's literally just straight to the point. I'm sure everybody reading this knows what I'm about to do here, so I'll just go ahead and announce my grades/where I'm at before discussing some more underneath.

GCSE grades

Spoiler

AS grade

Spoiler

A-level predicted grades

Spoiler

Aiming for

Spoiler

I want to do a BSc in Computer Science (love it), and at the moment I'm thinking of aiming for Durham (just leaving Y12), as I went to the open day and found it to be great, before doing further research and liking it even more :smile:. I have a strong personal statement with a lot of 'super curricular' CS activities, although I am disappointed with my initial predicted grade in Maths and am going to attempt to get this changed, as I've had a lot of personal issues this year to deal with meaning my grades have slipped.

Furthermore, in Maths specifically, I've had an incapable private tutor (who we kept on from GCSE) and haven't been putting in the effort required, somewhat due to the issues mentioned above. If I'm honest, I didn't even revise for the AS internal mock exam that this predicted grade is based off, because despite being able when I put my mind to it I knew I couldn't boost myself up to an A in a matter of days (finally got motivated at the end).

Also worth noting that I'm somewhat worried about my B in Physics (downward trend?), and wondering what impact this will actually have in terms of applying to uni.

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this so hopefully some people are interested in following along, that'd mean I'm not alone on this thread. :tongue:

If you have any questions/feel there's something I've not covered here/wish to offer advice, or just want to come along for the ride, please post below. Thanks! :smile:

Good luck with your journey!! Hope you get the maths predictions at least to an A! Are your teachers *****y and purposefully predict badly or na?
Be sure to tag me - make a tag list @SomMC1 and copypaste people's names into each post/update you do. A good way would be to look at the maker's of GYG's and tagging them - usually really nice people, like for example the perfect human @MaizieAmyr
Reply 4
Original post by SomMC1
Good luck with your journey!! Hope you get the maths predictions at least to an A! Are your teachers *****y and purposefully predict badly or na?
Be sure to tag me - make a tag list @SomMC1 and copypaste people's names into each post/update you do. A good way would be to look at the maker's of GYG's and tagging them - usually really nice people, like for example the perfect human @MaizieAmyr

I respect their prediction given the data that they have to hand, they're not being evil. It's just I know that this year I am capable of - and fully intended to get - an A, basically due to the things I wrote in the original post.

Hopefully they agree to boost it up once they hear what I have to say, and thanks for your advice :smile:
I respect their prediction given the data that they have to hand, they're not being evil. It's just I know that this year I am capable of - and fully intended to get - an A, basically due to the things I wrote in the original post.

Hopefully they agree to boost it up once they hear what I have to say, and thanks for your advice :smile:

Well I guess if they still wont improve predictions, you could just apply with your final A levels and a gap year. That option is always available, should it be needed! GOod luck:smile:
Original post by SomMC1

I'm going to have so many GYG to follow now that you are mentioning me in all of these. You're too nice, if you knew the mess I really am you wouldn't call me perfect... or even human... :ninja: @Jackudy3 Please tag me. :biggrin: I know someone who is doing computer science and I know a lot of unis want further maths, idk if that will help you now that you are starting year 13 but maybe it will. Good luck!
Original post by MaizieAmyr
I'm going to have so many GYG to follow now that you are mentioning me in all of these. You're too nice, if you knew the mess I really am you wouldn't call me perfect... or even human... :ninja: @Jackudy3 Please tag me. :biggrin: I know someone who is doing computer science and I know a lot of unis want further maths, idk if that will help you now that you are starting year 13 but maybe it will. Good luck!

I'm sure it'll help Jack considering he's entering Y13 with no FM. :rofl

Youre probably right but thankfully I only have to deal with you and your mess when I please; If i had to deal with you in real life 24/7, i'd probably run the other direction, js😊😁
Reply 8
Original post by SomMC1

Youre probably right but thankfully I only have to deal with you and your mess when I please; If i had to deal with you in real life 24/7, i'd probably run the other direction, js😊😁

I have Physics to AS level, hopefully they won't mind too much about the missing FM. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by SomMC1
Well I guess if they still wont improve predictions, you could just apply with your final A levels and a gap year. That option is always available, should it be needed! GOod luck:smile:

Haven't tried to get them raised yet but will definitely give it a stab in September. :h:
I have Physics to AS level, hopefully they won't mind too much about the missing FM. :smile:

Good point; and I mean unis just recommend FM and dont necessarily require them. For example even LSE's Economics degree doesnt require FM, just 75% of all offers are given to people with FM. Doesnt mean it's impossible without it!!
Original post by SomMC1

Very true. @Jackudy3 It's more that FM will give you an advantage but my friend has still managed to get into the most prestigious unis without it. Sorry, I'm sometimes not the most helpful, regardless of what @SomMC1 says. :sorry: It's just something to look out for when applying to certain unis. Good luck again.
Reply 12
Original post by SomMC1
Good point; and I mean unis just recommend FM and dont necessarily require them. For example even LSE's Economics degree doesnt require FM, just 75% of all offers are given to people with FM. Doesnt mean it's impossible without it!!

I'd be interested to know the statistics for Durham CompSci admissions for candidates with and without FM, if you can pull them out of your magic statistics tree of course :biggrin:.
I'd be interested to know the statistics for Durham CompSci admissions for candidates with and without FM, if you can pull them out of your magic statistics tree of course :biggrin:.

Im not even joking about the 75% tho hahah:biggrin: whatdotheyknow.com <- find Durham uni and ask them for the %. they will reply within 20 working days. Might be kinda useless if you apply before then but at least you'll know! I've asked a bunch of questions for a bunch of unis!! Give it a shot:tongue:

@MaizieAmyr might be of interest for you too
Original post by SomMC1
Im not even joking about the 75% tho hahah:biggrin: whatdotheyknow.com <- find Durham uni and ask them for the %. they will reply within 20 working days. Might be kinda useless if you apply before then but at least you'll know! I've asked a bunch of questions for a bunch of unis!! Give it a shot:tongue:

@Jackudy3 I know little bits from what my friend told me. I think for certain unis you also have to do a STEP test as an enterance exam so keep an eye out for that.
@Jackudy3 I know little bits from what my friend told me. I think for certain unis you also have to do a STEP test as an enterance exam so keep an eye out for that.

basically the UKCAT but for comp Sci?
Original post by SomMC1
basically the UKCAT but for comp Sci?

Think so, like MAT (I think it's called) for mathematics.
Reply 17
Original post by SomMC1

Thanks for this link, I'm placing my request now.

I was under the impression that STEP was like an additional Maths thing, similar to the MAT? Not seen it required for CompSci courses.
Thanks for this link, I'm placing my request now.

I was under the impression that STEP was like an additional Maths thing, similar to the MAT? Not seen it required for CompSci courses.

I know Oxford make my friend do it when he applied but I'm not sure how many others use it. I think imperial as well? I'm not sure about Warwick. Can't remember which others. Don't trust me 100% on this though. It's only a few unis that require it. For CS the requirements are wierd, many don't even require CS but do require/prefer FM. But there are many that don't require either if step papers aren't your thing.
Reply 19
I know Oxford make my friend do it when he applied but I'm not sure how many others use it. I think imperial as well? I'm not sure about Warwick. Can't remember which others. Don't trust me 100% on this though. It's only a few unis that require it. For CS the requirements are wierd, many don't even require CS but do require/prefer FM. But there are many that don't require either if step papers aren't your thing.

I'm lucky that the unis you mentioned I'm not considering, besides a Warwick a little.
A-level Maths is hard enough for me, STEP would just be a waste of my time. I can do the Maths required for CompSci (and yes, I've read ahead to degree level).

Quick Reply