Can I still go to Cambridge with low AS Levels? Watch

Tiggy0
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just got my AS results back and I’m really disappointed. I only managed to get AAB- the B being in English Literature due to running out of time in a super hard paper. I’ve so fallen in love with Cambridge and the psychological and behavioural science course and I’m so scared to think that I’ve just ruined my chances with the B. Is it still worth me applying or is it a lost cause? Have I seriously damaged my chances?
Will they care much about my predicted grades if my AS grades aren’t as high?
Maths&physics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tiggy0)
Just got my AS results back and I’m really disappointed. I only managed to get AAB- the B being in English Literature due to running out of time in a super hard paper. I’ve so fallen in love with Cambridge and the psychological and behavioural science course and I’m so scared to think that I’ve just ruined my chances with the B. Is it still worth me applying or is it a lost cause? Have I seriously damaged my chances?
they know anyone can have a bad exam, so you can still get in but just make sure your predicated grades are what they want - in your case, A*A*A would be great, and even better if you managed to get those grades! just make sure you work your ass off! and start now, if you haven't already!

and make sure they see how much you love your course and the uni and you'll be fine.
username2289623
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m pretty sure there’s no harm in applying and your grades are extremely high for AS results just keep working on time management I guess. And Cambridge ofc keeps into account your predicted grades if they meet their entry requirements then ofc apply.
Tiggy0
Rep:
?
I deffo think I would be predicted A* A*A and I’m going to work so incredibly hard this year to make it happen for myself! I’ve begun a lot of the suggested reading for psychology at Cambridge and I’m all ready to start y13!! Thanks so much for your encouragement.
Naya104
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The top grade that you can get if you do external A-levels is an A, so AAB for AS-levels is good. It would be perfectly fine
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I deffo think I would be predicted A* A*A and I’m going to work so incredibly hard this year to make it happen for myself! I’ve begun a lot of the suggested reading for psychology at Cambridge and I’m all ready to start y13!! Thanks so much for your encouragement.
apply, you'll be fine. which college are you applying to?
Tiggy0
Rep:
?
not 100% sure yet, haven’t decided if I should choose one I think I’m most likely to get into (ie. less popular/ more places) or my genuine favourite one? What would you recommend?
(Original post by Maths&physics)
apply, you'll be fine. which college are you applying to?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved this to the Cambridge forum
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
not 100% sure yet, haven’t decided if I should choose one I think I’m most likely to get into (ie. less popular/ more places) or my genuine favourite one? What would you recommend?
if you actually look into it, there are not places that youre statistically more likely to get into - excluding maybe, the women's colleges.
I would 100% recommend going to the one that you love.
ReEhAhS2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got my results too today.
I want to apply for CompScience at Cambridge (Entry requirements are 2A* and 2A) but i got B in both Maths and FMaths! I think my predicted grades will probably be at least all As with maybe an A* in Physics or Computing. Are my chances ruined or should i still apply and focus on achieving higher than the requirements in the real thing? Unfortunately, my school has a reputation for trying to be 'realistic' with predicted grades and often predicts students too low. My teachers expected me to get an A* for Maths in A2 but i feel like, after the B, they'll only give me an A.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ReEhAhS2000)
I want to apply for CompScience at Cambridge (Entry requirements are 2A* and 2A) but i got B in both Maths and FMaths! I think my predicted grades will probably be at least all As with maybe an A* in Physics or Computing. Are my chances ruined or should i still apply and focus on achieving higher than the requirements in the real thing? Unfortunately, my school has a reputation for trying to be 'realistic' with predicted grades and often predicts students too low. My teachers expected me to get an A* for Maths in A2 but i feel like, after the B, they'll only give me an A.
You wont be predicted higher than an A for maths and probably further maths.
I know someone who got into cambridge to study maths with only an A for his A-level maths, although im sure they expected him to get an A* in FM and the usual step requirements. So its not the end of the world.
Im sure you made some mistakes in your AS year and you can put them right in A2, and get A*A*AA. So, you should still apply and if youre passionate enough and god enough, they'll let you in.
AmberStudies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In exactly the same situation! Love Cambridge (+ Newnham college), love PBS, and got AAB with the B in English.

I'd say you should NOT let AS put you off applying since your school is predicting you A*A*A and you are clearly dedicated, shown through you starting to work your way through the Cambridge reading list. You still have the academic year to grow your grades in, and results day wasn't the be all end all for you
Tiggy0
Rep:
?
Hey it’s so great to hear from someone in the same position as me! Which A Levels do you do? Congrats on your AS- AAB is still a strong set of results so we should be pleased! It’s just hard because cambridge is so competitive and filled with so many amazingly intelligent people!!
Good luck with y13, I’m sure you’ll do great gal!

(Original post by AmberStudies)In exactly the same situation! Love Cambridge (+ Newnham college), love PBS, and got AAB with the B in English.

I'd say you should NOT let AS put you off applying since your school is predicting you A*A*A and you are clearly dedicated, shown through you starting to work your way through the Cambridge reading list. You still have the academic year to grow your grades in, and results day wasn't the be all end all for you
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ReEhAhS2000)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8&postcount=12
AmberStudies
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey it’s so great to hear from someone in the same position as me! Which A Levels do you do? Congrats on your AS- AAB is still a strong set of results so we should be pleased! It’s just hard because cambridge is so competitive and filled with so many amazingly intelligent people!!
Good luck with y13, I’m sure you’ll do great gal!

(Original post by AmberStudies)In exactly the same situation! Love Cambridge (+ Newnham college), love PBS, and got AAB with the B in English.

hfjfjgjf I'm so bad at checking tsr notifs
i do psychology (AQA), sociology (AQA) and englit (Edexcel)!
AmberStudies
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also this is kind of cheeky but could you send me the psych reading list??
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AmberStudies)
also this is kind of cheeky but could you send me the psych reading list??
https://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/pro.../faq#section-8
Do you have a recommended reading list?

The following list of books will give you a good general background to the areas that the PBS Tripos will cover:

Pinker, S (2011). The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined (Viking).

Kahneman, D (2011). Thinking, Fast and Slow (Farrar, Strauss and Giroux).

Hrdy, S (2011). Mothers and Others: The Evolutionary Origins of Mutual Understanding (Harvard University Press).

Damasio, A. (2010). Self comes to mind: constructing the conscious brain. (Vintage Books).

LeDoux, J (2003). Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are (Penguin).

Also
https://www.library.psychol.cam.ac.uk/reading-lists

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads