The Student Room Group

Any predictions for Grade Boundaries since it’s being lowered?

Bump
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

no one really knows. you might wanna adjust last year's boundary by +/-5 marks but even then it's not likely to be accurate. i wouldn't really trust the article tbh.
Original post by Cman8172
Yeah they don’t seem that reliable tbh but hopefully I do get a 7 in maths.

i hope you do also- good luck for results day but remember it's not the end of the world if you don't get a 7!
So I’m seeing articles like some ones linked below and they are stating that grade boundaries will be lower than previous years. Last year, the new GCSE was done for Maths and English so even the grade boundaries for those subjects are going to be lower than last year but we don’t know to what extent. So since the grade boundaries are lower according to these articles, what are the predictions for grade boundaries this year? Mainly interested in Maths and Computing if someone can give a prediction of Grade Boundaries for them.

Articles:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gcse-grade-boundaries-to-be-lower-7qdmz9zvf
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6072741/amp/The-tough-new-GCSE-needs-just-17-score-C.html

Article applies to newly reformed subjects such as history and science etc; to be frank it’s common sense these boundaries would be lower than the old specs. Maths and English is bound to be slightly higher than last years due to increased specification familiarity as well as past paper resources being available for June and November 2017 papers
Original post by Shalommmmmmmm
Article applies to newly reformed subjects such as history and science etc; to be frank it’s common sense these boundaries would be lower than the old specs. Maths and English is bound to be slightly higher than last years due to increased specification familiarity as well as past paper resources being available for June and November 2017 papers

Another article did also say Maths would be lower, but I really wouldn't trust these. Just wait until results day when boundaries are released, or the day before if you're Edexcel due to there being a very high chance of a leak.
Original post by Goldfish4343
Another article did also say Maths would be lower, but I really wouldn't trust these. Just wait until results day when boundaries are released, or the day before if you're Edexcel due to there being a very high chance of a leak.

No way I’d be extremely surprised if Maths went down. The general consensus is that the exam went well so perhaps a 2-3 marks increase. However, here’s hoping English language goes down 😩
No way I’d be extremely surprised if Maths went down. The general consensus is that the exam went well so perhaps a 2-3 marks increase. However, here’s hoping English language goes down 😩

I think 2-3 marks increase is more sensible than the 10 plus marks people have been saying. People, I think at least, have been overconfident with Maths this year. When people have "bragged" about answers, a lot of them have been wrong, sadly.

I really want English Lit to decrease though, what do we know about surfing?! The questions were just vague and there was very little to actually talk about. I do think the creative writing questions were good, especially when I could basically just copy my answer from a previous mock :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I’ve seen that happen with my friends, a lot of their answers turned out to be incorrect. If, god forsake, the boundaries jump up by 10+ for edexcel, they would most likely be fined for presenting an exam of lower standard and for a lack of consistency
I think 2-3 marks increase is more sensible than the 10 plus marks people have been saying. People, I think at least, have been overconfident with Maths this year. When people have "bragged" about answers, a lot of them have been wrong, sadly.
I’ve seen that happen with my friends, a lot of their answers turned out to be incorrect. If, god forsake, the boundaries jump up by 10+ for edexcel, they would most likely be fined for presenting an exam of lower standard and for a lack of consistency

Really don't want Maths jumping too much. From the unofficial mark schemes, I've got around 195 so might be safe (or completely wrong and a massive overestimation of what I got, now that would be embarrassing :smile: )
Really don't want Maths jumping too much. From the unofficial mark schemes, I've got around 195 so might be safe (or completely wrong and a massive overestimation of what I got, now that would be embarrassing :smile: )

If you’ve calculated it correctly, I guess congratulations are in order for that grade 9 :smile:. I myself managed a 187 so narrowly missing that 9 😫. But a grade 8 will still allow me to pick double maths so it’s all good
Maths grade boundary will be going up, the harder exam was in 2017.
English probably about the same.

All other reformed subjects will see a decrease in grade boundaries, because 9-1 is harder.
If you’ve calculated it correctly, I guess congratulations are in order for that grade 9 :smile:. I myself managed a 187 so narrowly missing that 9 😫. But a grade 8 will still allow me to pick double maths so it’s all good

Well thank you even if I don't end up getting it :smile:

You could still get a 9, you never know the grade boundaries. Plus, you could have calculated it wrong unless you have the mark scheme somehow.

Think of an 8 as an A*, and you'll remember how good it is :smile: I'll be thinking this exact thought as well.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well thank you even if I don't end up getting it :smile:

You could still get a 9, you never know the grade boundaries. Plus, you could have calculated it wrong unless you have the mark scheme somehow.

Think of an 8 as an A*, and you'll remember how good it is :smile: I'll be thinking this exact thought as well.

That’s exactly how I’m thinking :smile:. Besides I’ll hopefully have my 9’s in Physics and chemistry to keep me content 😂
That’s exactly how I’m thinking :smile:. Besides I’ll hopefully have my 9’s in Physics and chemistry to keep me content 😂

Hope you do get those 9s! It would be so good! Be sure to tell me how you do, and hope it is good news!

I could never imagine getting a 9 in physics, I just don't understand some of the topics. Chemistry I'm hoping for an 8, but I would die if I saw a 9!
Hope you do get those 9s! It would be so good! Be sure to tell me how you do, and hope it is good news!

I could never imagine getting a 9 in physics, I just don't understand some of the topics. Chemistry I'm hoping for an 8, but I would die if I saw a 9!

Thank you so much and I’ll be sure to let you know; likewise I’d be very interested to learn of your results too!

With physics I’ve always been good but I’ve had my struggles in chemistry. Thankfully I was aided by a rather easy chemistry exam (cheers OCR)
Thank you so much and I’ll be sure to let you know; likewise I’d be very interested to learn of your results too!

With physics I’ve always been good but I’ve had my struggles in chemistry. Thankfully I was aided by a rather easy chemistry exam (cheers OCR)

Will definitely tell you!

AQA Chemistry wasn't too bad if you did enough work, the other sciences though, absolute madness!!!
The articles are unreliable: they claim that there is 'evidence' for lower boundaries however the only thing mentioned in those articles are the fact that it was only 17% to pass in Maths last year.

I wouldn't trust those articles if I were you. I do think the boundaries will be low, because students may have performed poorly due to bad teaching and unfamiliarity of the new specification, but not just because those articles say so. Just because the Maths boundaries were low last year, it does not mean boundaries will be low in all new-spec subjects this year.

Best of luck for results day everyone :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi
The articles are unreliable: they claim that there is 'evidence' for lower boundaries however the only thing mentioned in those articles are the fact that it was only 17% to pass in Maths last year.

I wouldn't trust those articles if I were you. I do think the boundaries will be low, because students may have performed poorly due to bad teaching and unfamiliarity of the new specification, but not just because those articles say so. Just because the Maths boundaries were low last year, it does not mean boundaries will be low in all new-spec subjects this year.

Best of luck for results day everyone :smile:

It's almost a given that in first year new spec subjects, the boundaries will be lower than the previous year.

If they're not, it defeats the entire point of the 'more challenging' new spec.
So what are you guys saying would be a Grade 6 and Grade 7 for Edexcel Maths this year? I’m seeing some mixed responses that Grade boundaries will be high or low so I’m very interested about it on results day.

Hopefully not many more marks than last year - I need at least a 6 which from memory was around 96 last year. I think it will have increased by maybe 5 or so marks due to 'easier' papers. I'm just praying rn :biggrin:

Nice, care to link the article that states that Maths would be lowered? I highly doubt that will be the case. None of the sources directly provided here mention that maths would be lowered.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest