The Student Room Group

Part time tuition loan - can I use it for FT study at the OU?

Hello. This is my first post. I am a 43 year old looking to study IT and Computing at The Open University. I match all the criteria for a part time tuition loan. What confuses me is this: on their website it says ‘even if you decide to study at full time equivalent intensity; you will still apply for a part time tuition fee loan.’ Does this mean The Open University is an exception and I can study full time with them, using the part time tuition loan? I’d love to do the course in 3 rather than 6 years. I cannot call them as they are closed today. Many thanks.
Original post by SophieWF
Hello. This is my first post. I am a 43 year old looking to study IT and Computing at The Open University. I match all the criteria for a part time tuition loan. What confuses me is this: on their website it says ‘even if you decide to study at full time equivalent intensity; you will still apply for a part time tuition fee loan.’ Does this mean The Open University is an exception and I can study full time with them, using the part time tuition loan? I’d love to do the course in 3 rather than 6 years. I cannot call them as they are closed today. Many thanks.

Is your funding body Student Finance England?
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Is your funding body Student Finance England?

Hi Blue Cow. Yes, it is Student Finance England
Hi Blue Cow. Yes, it is Student Finance England

I'll move this over to the Ask Student Finance England subforum :smile:

As far as I know, yes, you can study full-time with the OU but receive the part-time tuition fee loan. However, this does not apply to the maintenance loan which is unable for OU students. Simply put: You can study your degree in 3 years and get the part-time tuition loan. No matter the intensity of study at the OU, Student finance calls degrees at OU part-time.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
I'll move this over to the Ask Student Finance England subforum :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Miss_mischy
As far as I know, yes, you can study full-time with the OU but receive the part-time tuition fee loan. However, this does not apply to the maintenance loan which is unable for OU students. Simply put: You can study your degree in 3 years and get the part-time tuition loan. No matter the intensity of study at the OU, Student finance calls degrees at OU part-time.

That’s really good to hear! I’m pretty nervous about the whole thing as I’ve been a full time career for many years and now it’s my time to start over. Many thanks!
I have the exact same question as I want to transfer from evening uni to OU to study IT and Computing (Networking), although I am wondering is the mantainance loan available for OU students part-time at all ??
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NewGirlInTown78
I have the exact same question as I want to transfer from evening uni to OU to study IT and Computing (Networking), although I am wondering is the mantainance loan available for OU students part-time at all ??

Hi,

OU students can only receive the Part Time Maintenance Loan where they have a disability that prevents them from attending a university in person.

Thanks, Chanel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending