The Student Room Group

AS grades too low for Cambridge???

Hi need some advice pls! I got my AS results on thursday and received AAB. I had visited Cambridge with my college and loved the university and had been encouraged throughout the year to apply for Classics. Although I am soo pleased with my results, I realise applying to Cambridge is probably unrealistic. My parents are still keen on me applying with the predicted grades A*A*A, but would it be a waste of a choice putting forward an uncompetitive application? :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellasmith25
Hi need some advice pls! I got my AS results on thursday and received AAB. I had visited Cambridge with my college and loved the university and had been encouraged throughout the year to apply for Classics. Although I am soo pleased with my results, I realise applying to Cambridge is probably unrealistic. My parents are still keen on me applying with the predicted grades A*A*A, but would it be a waste of a choice putting forward an uncompetitive application? :/

why tf are you doing AS levels? cambridge don't look at them any more to my knowledge because of the new a levels. I'm guessing you go to a private school then as most students haven't taken as levels this year.
Yeah, apply if your predicted grades meet entrance requirements
Reply 3
Original post by jonjoshelvey21
why tf are you doing AS levels? cambridge don't look at them any more to my knowledge because of the new a levels. I'm guessing you go to a private school then as most students haven't taken as levels this year.

I don't know either, I go to a state college and we were told we weren't doing them at the start of the year. Then they changed their minds :frown:
I don't know either, I go to a state college and we were told we weren't doing them at the start of the year. Then they changed their minds :frown:

ah ok. I'm not an expert on classics in particular at Cambridge but they have quite a high admissions rate for that course. cambridge doesn't look at predicted grades in great detail as they're unreliable. I think if you have a good number of as and a* at gcse and a good combination of a level subjects you're likely to get an interview.

With those predictions you are likely to get an interview.
Original post by ageshallnot
With those predictions you are likely to get an interview.

cambridge doesn't value predicted grades very much at all as they're usually wrong. they just have to meet the standard entry requirement for the course.
cambridge doesn't value predicted grades very much at all as they're usually wrong. they just have to meet the standard entry requirement for the course.

And how is anyone supposed to 'meet the standard entry requirements' prior to A2???

Yes, I know full well that Cambridge ATs are aware of the weakness of predicted grades. However, in the absence of more concrete evidence predicted grades are used to help decide who will be invited to interview.
Original post by ageshallnot
And how is anyone supposed to 'meet the standard entry requirements' prior to A2???

Yes, I know full well that Cambridge ATs are aware of the weakness of predicted grades. However, in the absence of more concrete evidence predicted grades are used to help decide who will be invited to interview.

because the predicted grades have to meet the entry requirements. if the course needs AAA you need to be predicted at least AAA. anything above that they basically don't care about. And predicted grades aren't used to select for interview, they're just a requirement you have to fulfil in order to be eligible for an interview. They take much more notice of achieved grades e.g. gcses and the admissions exam.
well do you know how predicted grades in your school work? ours is our internal summer exams which is such a pain in the bum, because if you **** up on em then you get **** grades as a result, what you need to do is perhaps make it obvious to your teachers that your thinking of applying to cambridge and see what they say. And just wait until your predicted grades come out which I'm pretty sure it's feasible if you were predicted A* A* A because schools tend to predict a grade higher than your AS usually, this isn't the case for some schools. If your predicted isn't that then maybe you should speak to your teachers see if they could raise your grades higher, prove to them that you can be a hardworking student and stuff.
Reply 10
why tf are you doing AS levels? cambridge don't look at them any more to my knowledge because of the new a levels..

They most certainly do. They encourage you to take them if your school allows it, and especially if you have "poor" GCSEs. It helps provide a formal exam data point in your application and can help support predicted grades.

AAB at AS-Level with A*A*A predictions is perfect for this stage of your application.

You will also have the CAA and almost certainly an interview to further strengthen your application.

Good luck.

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum
because the predicted grades have to meet the entry requirements. if the course needs AAA you need to be predicted at least AAA. anything above that they basically don't care about. And predicted grades aren't used to select for interview, they're just a requirement you have to fulfil in order to be eligible for an interview. They take much more notice of achieved grades e.g. gcses and the admissions exam.

I refer you to the post by @Doonesbury who knows more about Cambridge admissions than anyone on TSR bar the ATs.]
Original post by Doonesbury
AAB at AS-Level with A*A*A predictions is perfect for this stage of your application.

You will also have the CAA and almost certainly an interview to further strengthen your application.

Good luck.

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum

you're getting yourself all confused mate. they most certainly DONT. Most people don't get the opportunity to take them, and they certainly DO NOT put a big emphasis on predicted grades at all. they even say it on their website.

Why are you talking like the CAA is easy and will strengthen their application? you're just assuming they'll do well?

so don't try correcting me if you don't really know you're stuff.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Doonesbury lad you're getting yourself all confused mate. they most certainly DONT. Most people don't get the opportunity to take them, and they certainly DO NOT put a big emphasis on predicted grades at all. they even say it on their website.

Predictions are important if they are below the required grades. The OPs aren't below, so they are good to go on that requirement.

And yes AS grades are also still used by Cambridge where they are available. Show me where it says otherwise.

Where did I say the CAA is easy? Where did I say an interview is easy? They are both opportunities, it's up to the OP to do well.

Also please be constructive and treat others with respect. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Predictions are important if they are below the required grades. The OPs aren't below, so they are good to go on that requirement.

And yes AS grades are also still used by Cambridge where they are available. Show me where it says otherwise.

Where did I say the CAA is easy? Where did I say an interview is easy? They are both opportunities, it's up to the OP to do well.

Also please be constructive and treat others with respect. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

mate I've literally just said that about predicted grades. use your initiative thanks.

And show me where it says they're used. the new reformed a level system literally means that as levels aren't required any more.

you insinuated that the op would do well because you stated that it's result would support their application, again something I have already mentioned.

as for your last comment, you're the one who started patronising me first, so you treat me with respect . I'm not entirely happy thay you're supplying incorrect information too.
Reply 15
mate I've literally just said that about predicted grades. use your initiative thanks.

And show me where it says they're used. the new reformed a level system literally means that as levels aren't required any more.

you insinuated that the op would do well because you stated that it's result would support their application, again something I have already mentioned.

as for your last comment, you're the one who started patronising me first, so you treat me with respect . I'm not entirely happy thay you're supplying incorrect information too.

Advice from Dr Mike Sewell, Cambridge's Director of Admissions:
"We strongly encourage potential applicants to take AS Level examinations in at least three, and preferably four, subjects, whether reformed or not, at the end of Year 12."
And
"[AS Levels] provide unarguable validation and encouragement in advance of university application for the bright but under-confident, or for those on a sharply upward academic trajectory."

But note, the ATs active on TSR have made it very clear that students will NOT be disadvantaged by their school's AS or A-level policy. So if the school doesn't offer AS-levels, or doesn't encourage 4 subjects that's absolutely fine.
Reply 16
ah ok. I'm not an expert on classics in particular at Cambridge but they have quite a high admissions rate for that course.

Just a point on that. Yes Classics has a relatively high admittance rate but back when UMS was a thing (eg 2014) the average UMS achieved by offer holders was 95.2% - that's higher than Law, Engineering or most other courses. Only Medicine and Economics were higher.
Reply 17

I didn't know Cambridge had courses with an AAA requirement - link please...
Just a point on that. Yes Classics has a relatively high admittance rate but back when UMS was a thing (eg 2014) the average UMS achieved by offer holders was 95.2% - that's higher than Law, Engineering or most other courses. Only Medicine and Economics were higher.

what are you on about? 2 applicants per place for classics mate. your point is irrelevant because of the recent reformed a levels btw
I didn't know Cambridge had courses with an AAA requirement - link please...

I never said cambridge had a course that needed AAA. I just used it as an example, and was saying if a course needed AAA you would need to be predicted at least that.

stop trying to be clever with me and get a grip. you're starting to embaress yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending