The Student Room Group

Physics or economics a level??

For anyone who did both, which one is easier?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I will tell you now physics is the second hardest alevel. Further maths is the hardest. 100% economics is easier. :biggrin:
Economics is a lot easier, especially if you did it for GCSE
Original post by Risk08
I will tell you now physics is the second hardest alevel. Further maths is the hardest. 100% economics is easier. :biggrin:

Ohh ok..But are the essays in econ hard and time consuming to prepare for? and do I have to know a lot about the government/politics? Also, if I'm good at maths would physics still be harder?
Original post by gotaDinmyartmock
Economics is a lot easier, especially if you did it for GCSE

I don't do it for gcse...is it easy to get the hang of?
Original post by Randomusername5
Ohh ok..But are the essays in econ hard and time consuming to prepare for? and do I have to know a lot about the government/politics? Also, if I'm good at maths would physics still be harder?

(Like, is it ok if i have not much prior knowledge about the government and politics, so i can just learn when i start the a level course?)
(Like, is it ok if i have not much prior knowledge about the government and politics, so i can just learn when i start the a level course?)

Yes reallly easy I started when starting a levels and got a B with not much work - just use economicshelp and Econplusdal on youtube
Original post by Risk08

This is nonsense. For some people, Maths and FM are the easiest A-levels available...because they have a strong background and interest in Maths. Equally Physics is considerably easier for some.

For anyone who did both, which one is easier?

More generally, you can't generalise which A-level is easier than another, because it entirely depends on individual preparation and motivation. If you are interested in and motivated to do Physics, and want to continue in a route which uses it (e.g. Physics, Engineering, etc) then you will likely find Physics "easier" than Economics if you have no specific interest in Economics (and vice versa, although there are no degree programmes which explicitly require A-level Economics to my knowledge).

Additionally, if you dislike writing essays and struggle generally to lay out long form prose arguments, then you will probably not do that well with Economics. Equally if you don't like performing lab experiments and writing them up and solving mathematical problems, you will probably dislike Physics. Finally in terms of "learning style" Economics is slightly more content focused while Physics is more process-oriented; in Physics you learn a toolbox of methods to solve problems, and how and when to use each. In Economics you learn information, and how to present that in a convincing and coherent way in an essay. While there is some overlap (there are some generalisable concepts in Economics you'll learn to apply to "problems") this is a fairly core difference between the two.

You should be choosing your options based on your strengths and interests, not what other people found. I picked Biology (in IB that is) because I had to choose between it and Physics, and one of the year 13 IB students told me "Physics is harder than Biology, choose Biology). I ended up loathing Biology, dropping it to SL towards the end of year 12, and later ended up on an Engineering degree where I did all the same Physics I would've in IB, and more, with no issues. Even then if I had dismissed what the other person had told me and spent a little time thinking about what I was good at, if not necessarily my interests, Physics would've been the obvious choice for me. Thus, as above, you need to figure out what you are good at and then make the decision based on that.
Reply 8

Maths helps with both. Depends which you actually prefer because physics can be easier than other subjects if you are only able to really motivate yourself with learning things you enjoy. It's just not a forgiving subject but usually if you keep going most do well in the end.
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
This is nonsense. For some people, Maths and FM are the easiest A-levels available...because they have a strong background and interest in Maths. Equally Physics is considerably easier for some.

More generally, you can't generalise which A-level is easier than another, because it entirely depends on individual preparation and motivation. If you are interested in and motivated to do Physics, and want to continue in a route which uses it (e.g. Physics, Engineering, etc) then you will likely find Physics "easier" than Economics if you have no specific interest in Economics (and vice versa, although there are no degree programmes which explicitly require A-level Economics to my knowledge).

Additionally, if you dislike writing essays and struggle generally to lay out long form prose arguments, then you will probably not do that well with Economics. Equally if you don't like performing lab experiments and writing them up and solving mathematical problems, you will probably dislike Physics. Finally in terms of "learning style" Economics is slightly more content focused while Physics is more process-oriented; in Physics you learn a toolbox of methods to solve problems, and how and when to use each. In Economics you learn information, and how to present that in a convincing and coherent way in an essay. While there is some overlap (there are some generalisable concepts in Economics you'll learn to apply to "problems":wink: this is a fairly core difference between the two.

You should be choosing your options based on your strengths and interests, not what other people found. I picked Biology (in IB that is) because I had to choose between it and Physics, and one of the year 13 IB students told me "Physics is harder than Biology, choose Biology). I ended up loathing Biology, dropping it to SL towards the end of year 12, and later ended up on an Engineering degree where I did all the same Physics I would've in IB, and more, with no issues. Even then if I had dismissed what the other person had told me and spent a little time thinking about what I was good at, if not necessarily my interests, Physics would've been the obvious choice for me. Thus, as above, you need to figure out what you are good at and then make the decision based on that.

Yes all true. There is tons of research on why some alevels are considered harder than others in general terms. I should have phrased differently.
Original post by artful_lounger

Additionally, if you dislike writing essays and struggle generally to lay out long form prose arguments, then you will probably not do that well with Economics. Equally if you don't like performing lab experiments and writing them up and solving mathematical problems, you will probably dislike Physics. Finally in terms of "learning style" Economics is slightly more content focused while Physics is more process-oriented; in Physics you learn a toolbox of methods to solve problems, and how and when to use each. In Economics you learn information, and how to present that in a convincing and coherent way in an essay. While there is some overlap (there are some generalisable concepts in Economics you'll learn to apply to "problems":wink: this is a fairly core difference between the two.

Thanks so much this was very useful. In terms of what you're saying, I think that I would be better at physics a level, however I'm looking at a possible career in accounting rather than engineering in which case economics may be more useful/relevant. Saying that, I've heard that physics is a highly regarded a level and you can still go into accountancy with the problem solving skills you develop from that? (not entirely sure though)
I don't do it for gcse...is it easy to get the hang of?

Yes, many people in my school who didn't take economics for GCSE perform better than those who did take economics A level and are able to achieve A's.
Thanks so much this was very useful. In terms of what you're saying, I think that I would be better at physics a level, however I'm looking at a possible career in accounting rather than engineering in which case economics may be more useful/relevant. Saying that, I've heard that physics is a highly regarded a level and you can still go into accountancy with the problem solving skills you develop from that? (not entirely sure though)

Economics isn't required for accounting (and honestly I can't even really see the relevance in terms of it as a profession, outside of maybe management accounting relating to managerial economics, which are both niche areas of the two fields), either to A-level or degree level. Most accounting/accountancy grad schemes just require any degree to an appropriate classification (i.e. 2:1 or above normally); some might prefer/require a numerate degree - a physics or engineering degree would eminently qualify for that however. I know someone who did an accounting grad scheme with a big 4 firm with a history degree (from Cardiff, so it's not like it was Oxbridge anyway).
physics is much more interesting :smile:

are you taking maths? if not I'd go for that instead as maths intersects both of those subjects, indicating you have an underlying interest in it.
[QUOTE=Risk08;79353804]I will tell you now physics is the second hardest alevel. Further maths is the hardest. 100% economics is easier. :biggrin:

Then why did I just that stupid f***ing A-Level

Great, now I know that, I'm also doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. Combine all of this and I have a recipe for suicide.
Original post by omarathon
physics is much more interesting :smile:

are you taking maths? if not I'd go for that instead as maths intersects both of those subjects, indicating you have an underlying interest in it.

I definitely know I'm doing maths and chemistry and I think I'll do further maths as well. The sixth form I'm applying for asks you to do 4 a levels then u can drop one after AS, so I still have one choice remaining for the 4th subject.
Reply 16
I’m doing further maths and find it easier than economics
(edited 5 years ago)
This year I have done Maths, Physics, Economics and Politics. Physics is by far the hardest subject that I do, even though I find maths relatively easier. I would say to do politics you need no prior knowledge as you will pick it up pretty quickly. Economics was easy enough to pick up, having previously never studied it before. I would also say politics essays are a lot more difficult than Economics. I hope this helps somehow, happy to answer any questions:smile:
I definitely know I'm doing maths and chemistry and I think I'll do further maths as well. The sixth form I'm applying for asks you to do 4 a levels then u can drop one after AS, so I still have one choice remaining for the 4th subject.

If you do take FM I'd say Physics is more fitting (despite the lack of maths, nevertheless, the mechanics is shared). However, two sciences can feel like an information overload (as there's a relatively large amount of content for the sciences), so taking Economics would be refreshing and add a level of diversity to your subject choices. I haven't done Economics so I can't really speak on behalf of it.
Original post by Hazelac
This year I have done Maths, Physics, Economics and Politics. Physics is by far the hardest subject that I do, even though I find maths relatively easier. I would say to do politics you need no prior knowledge as you will pick it up pretty quickly. Economics was easy enough to pick up, having previously never studied it before. I would also say politics essays are a lot more difficult than Economics. I hope this helps somehow, happy to answer any questions:smile:

Did economics and politics overlap a lot? Is it ok if you don't have much prior politics knowledge?

Quick Reply

Latest