The Student Room Group

Dentistry Resit 2019

hey guys, is anyone else resitting any a level exams because i missed my grades for my firm uni (KCL) for dentistry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bubble20
hey guys, is anyone else resitting any a level exams because i missed my grades for my firm uni (KCL) for dentistry?

I got rejected on results day by my firm after I got ABB. Im thinking of taking a gap year and re applying but what unis will consider resits and won't it make it harder to get in?
Reply 2
Original post by james1267
I got rejected on results day by my firm after I got ABB. Im thinking of taking a gap year and re applying but what unis will consider resits and won't it make it harder to get in?

yooo im so glad im not the only one, i'm reapplying to kings and sheffield, what are you thinking of? also what are you gonna do on your gap year ( apart from resits ofc) ?

Moved to the Dentistry forum :smile:
yooo im so glad im not the only one, i'm reapplying to kings and sheffield, what are you thinking of? also what are you gonna do on your gap year ( apart from resits ofc) ?

Thinking of applying to Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds and Plymouth. What did you get on ur a levels?

I'll defo get a job but also do volunteering and try get some more work experience done. What are you thinking?
Reply 5
I got 3As but Kings wanted A*AA :frown: And yeah that sounds good! I'm going to learn to drive and the same tbh. Currently I'm prepping for my UKCAT though
Reply 6
Hi, I'm currently thinking of re-siting as well I got AAB. I'll probably apply to sheffield, plymouth, kings and bristol. Where you guys planning on volunteering?
Reply 7
Original post by NG26
Hi, I'm currently thinking of re-siting as well I got AAB. I'll probably apply to sheffield, plymouth, kings and bristol. Where you guys planning on volunteering?

I'm going to continue volunteering at my local care home and SNAP, what subject/s are you all resitting?
Reply 8
I'm going to continue volunteering at my local care home and SNAP, what subject/s are you all resitting?

I'm Just resitting maths, I don't know whether I should join a gap year program or just find more volunteering experiences around my area
Reply 9
omg... I am in the exact situation as you and I can painfully relate! My offer was A*AA but I missed it and got AAA. I'm an international student so it was extremely competitive to get an offer! :frown: was absolutely gutted as it was my dream uni for dentistry. I'm going to take a gap year...learn how to drive, retake the UKCAT and maybe get more work experience to reapply.

I was thinking of re-sitting as well, however after speaking to quite a few of my school counsellors as well as emailing the admission tutor/director for dentistry at KCL. I don't think I'll resit. I was going to resit because I missed my grades and I really wanted to reapply esp. to kings. but if you resit, you'll be competing against this years batch of students who will get A*AA or A*A*A* on their first try. Furthermore, some unis will not take students who have achieved their A level result in more than a 2 year sitting. Plus, AAA is still a pretty good result and you'll be able to apply to many other unis in the UK whose offer is AAA and you might have a better chance especially if you get a good result in UKCAT. The only few unis whose offer is A*AA would be KCL and queen Mary I think (there are a few more so you might have to do your research).

This is my personal reasoning that I have come to... anyways I can understand how disappointing it must be but remember AAA is still an amazing result so be proud!!
Reply 10
Original post by BenicioDelToro
Got an AAA offer from Manchester but only got BBC on results day: sent them in to be remarked and now currently on BBB, waiting on Chemistry to come back. Manchester say, now that I have BBB, that I can reapply there. I assume that once my application's been sent in that they'll give me an offer without asking for interview. That's my safest option but also thinking of applying to King's and Plymouth too.

How would you get offer with BBB?
I thought manchester isn't very lenient with grades
Original post by NG26
How would you get offer with BBB?
I thought manchester isn't very lenient with grades

I should've mentioned that I'll be doing resits: they accept resits from BBB students if they attain A*AA in the end, which is honestly entirely doable.
Original post by BenicioDelToro
Got an AAA offer from Manchester but only got BBC on results day: sent them in to be remarked and now currently on BBB, waiting on Chemistry to come back. Manchester say, now that I have BBB, that I can reapply there. I assume that once my application's been sent in that they'll give me an offer without asking for interview. That's my safest option but also thinking of applying to King's and Plymouth too.

Can you give me any advice as how you got an offer from Manchester last year. Like work exp, extra-curricular etc. I applied to Manchester last year but got rejected pre-interview because my application wasn't strong enough.
What unis accept resits? I really wanted to go to Barts but didn't get the grades so ahhh BUT IM THINKING OF TAKING A GAP YEAR AND APPLYING AGAIN or going Bulgaria otherwise. HELP MEE
Reply 14
Original post by Zaibmalik
What unis accept resits? I really wanted to go to Barts but didn't get the grades so ahhh BUT IM THINKING OF TAKING A GAP YEAR AND APPLYING AGAIN or going Bulgaria otherwise. HELP MEE

Heyy, I know KCL, Sheffield, Bristol and Plymouth, I think there may be a few others but maybe call up unis
Reply 15
Original post by minsani
omg... I am in the exact situation as you and I can painfully relate! My offer was A*AA but I missed it and got AAA. I'm an international student so it was extremely competitive to get an offer! :frown: was absolutely gutted as it was my dream uni for dentistry. I'm going to take a gap year...learn how to drive, retake the UKCAT and maybe get more work experience to reapply.

I was thinking of re-sitting as well, however after speaking to quite a few of my school counsellors as well as emailing the admission tutor/director for dentistry at KCL. I don't think I'll resit. I was going to resit because I missed my grades and I really wanted to reapply esp. to kings. but if you resit, you'll be competing against this years batch of students who will get A*AA or A*A*A* on their first try. Furthermore, some unis will not take students who have achieved their A level result in more than a 2 year sitting. Plus, AAA is still a pretty good result and you'll be able to apply to many other unis in the UK whose offer is AAA and you might have a better chance especially if you get a good result in UKCAT. The only few unis whose offer is A*AA would be KCL and queen Mary I think (there are a few more so you might have to do your research).

This is my personal reasoning that I have come to... anyways I can understand how disappointing it must be but remember AAA is still an amazing result so be proud!!

Aw just saw this, so glad someone properly relates! Personally I just cannot give up on kcl so I have decided to resit and reapply but I hope everything works out well for you!
Reply 16

Hey I got AAB and just missed my firm too. Are you resitting through a college or as an external candidate?
Reply 17
Original post by fXaith
Hey I got AAB and just missed my firm too. Are you resitting through a college or as an external candidate?

I am resitting as an external at my own sixth form :smile:
Reply 18
I am resitting as an external at my own sixth form :smile:

Oh same!! Are you completely rewriting your personal statement or just adding gap year plans to the end of ur original one?
has anyone had an interview at KCL

does anyone have an interview tomorrow at KCL

Quick Reply

Latest