The Student Room Group

Failed A Levels and I feel disgusted with myself!

So I've pretty much been a straight A*/A student throughout the year in all my subjects, earlier on getting B's but mainly A's and A*'s, I didn't care about academia as much at GCSE level or AS but this year I decided I needed to pull my weight and I did, I've always been intellectually able and have many times scored high/highest marks in exams/essays.

Come exam period, I was so stressed and worried about getting these grades in the exams and seeing all this effort go to waste, and coincidentally none of the exams went great. I don't think I had more than 5/6 hours sleep before any of my exams and I'm sure this must have had some affect on my overall performance. Furthermore, I'd never really gone through the proper exam period revision process before so it was completely overwhelming not knowing whether I was going to cover everything again (In GCSE and AS I mostly revised the day/few days before and that's what I thought was 'revision' so I was essentially re-learning all the AS content throughout the year as well). After each exam I would basically think about all the mistakes I probably made for hours/days and this was even more wasted time. But I figured maybe I was just overthinking it (for some of the exams I was, for others I wasn't, so that's that).

Then leading up to results day I kept imagining all the possible scenarios (perhaps not enough of the bad ones) so that they'd (not) come true, I was really hoping for straight A's/A*s as that's what I'm capable of and what I have gotten before, but the exam days were just bad. I didn't get what I wanted and what I deserved and now whenever I see a 'B' I feel it is actually a 'U' and when I see an 'A' I see that it is not an A* and I feel absolutely disgusted with myself and everything. I suppose I do have 'extenuating' or 'mitigating' circumstances throughout these years which I'd rather not go into detail about but despite going through all that and achieving much better than AS I am still disgusted and feel like my life and future has been tainted by these grades and will constantly be reminded that on paper my grades are 'just good/above average' or 'average' by some TSR users standards, is that what I survived hell for, to be called average? And it's the fact I know I am much better but can't do anything about it. Had I gotten straight A's even I wouldn't even feel like this, I just can't stand to see a 'B' at all and I don't know why, but I'm sure many other A grade student's probably feel the same, it's like I have some kind of grade dysmorphia and feel worthless because of it. I know resitting is an option but I'll have to put myself through that trauma and possibly failure again, I have no idea what to do.

I just know that on paper I'll never be able to compete with the A*A*A* high performing private/grammar school students even though they were better off than me, I know there grades are better than me on paper and there's no way I can show people I have the same intellectual ability, call me shallow but it's gotten to the point where I feel my grades determine my self worth (I don't generally feel this way towards other people though, only myself) and I know I am not average but how do I tell myself this and truly feel it! I know in my current situation my grades are 'good' but the fact that I'm limited on which firms/companies or grad schemes I can apply for disgusts me and makes me feel like I am worthless. I know some people are going to tell me to 'get over it' or 'that's just life' but it isn't fair and I have a right to be disappointed by this failure (which I don't entirely blame myself for, but of course I am ironically expected to take full account for). If there is anyone else who has experienced this kind of failure how did you get past it, I don't want this to haunt me but I feel it will and I am worried this mindset I have been put in is going to terribly affect me at university.

Scroll to see replies

I know tsr users don’t understand this but success in life isn’t purely determined by a couple letters on a piece of paper. Ok you didn’t get the grades you want but what will whining do? Concentrate on the future, get the best possible marks you’re able to get instead of thinking about those A*A*A yutes.

Success in a level doesn’t always translate to success in uni/outside world lmao
(edited 5 years ago)
OP, I've known many A/A* students who have struggled at university, have the last laugh kid.
What did u get tldr; tell me
Comparison is the killer of joy, trust me.
Reply 5
Original post by MajorFader
Comparison is the killer of joy, trust me.

But won't employers be making comparisons?
Original post by skdfvdfjs

no its not just academia in any interview you've got to sell they should pick an enthusiastic bright kid who could have received 3 B's over a boring person with no asset that could benefit a company who could have received 3 A's it doesn't really matter when it comes to academia. I know how you feel like all the hard work gone to waste that has happened to me too.

Listen sweetie - listen to the older and the wiser.

I got EEE at A level. I now have a degree and a professional qualification. Other people have said that having A* A* etc does not make you bright - it just means that you can regurgitate stuff.

Put the exams behind you. I am not quite sure what you got, but I can assure you that your results are better than mine. Regroup and make a plan - there is always a way to succeed in life. Self awareness of your weaknesses is a major part in moving forward. Know where you have to improve.
Reply 8
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
no its not just academia in any interview you've got to sell they should pick an enthusiastic bright kid who could have received 3 B's over a boring person with no asset that could benefit a company who could have received 3 A's it doesn't really matter when it comes to academia. I know how you feel like all the hard work gone to waste that has happened to me too.

I know, but I mean how can I compete with someone who has all A*s with the perfect personality and experience etc.
Reply 9
Go through the motions of this feeling. Like really engage with them then let it pass. Don't allow this to knock your confidence and to prevent you from blossoming into the student you are supposed to be. Whatever your future plans are, they are STILL possible. It's up to you. Yes you may not have the exceptionally high A-level grades but you can turn all of that around.
I know, but I mean how can I compete with someone who has all A*s with the perfect personality and experience etc.

But you got good grades yourself its not like you didn't so what if one set of exams didn't go well, you just need to sell yourself and like show that you have what it takes, the skills required, like teamwork leadership, and I guess then you should just hope, that you will be able to outcompete someone else, who has got all A*, there are always gonna be someone that is better than you in some aspects, that's just life but don't give up because part of life is picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. Getting bad grades isn't the end of the world, if it bothers you then just resit?
Reply 11
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Listen sweetie - listen to the older and the wiser.

I got EEE at A level. I now have a degree and a professional qualification. Other people have said that having A* A* etc does not make you bright - it just means that you can regurgitate stuff.

Put the exams behind you. I am not quite sure what you got, but I can assure you that your results are better than mine. Regroup and make a plan - there is always a way to succeed in life. Self awareness of your weaknesses is a major part in moving forward. Know where you have to improve.

I got A/B's and I'm worried it's going to limit the grad schemes/law firms I can apply for etc. Which implies I'm not good enough because of my grades.
Reply 12
Hi, so I received my results on Thursday and I don't think I have Ever felt so disappointed in my life , that day felt like everything fell apart for me . I took A level chemistry biology and psychology ( chemistry was a big mistake but I realised too late that it was not the subject for me however I took the risk because I really wanted to originally apply for dentistry ) I was predicted ABC but unfortunately came out with a D in psychology and U in bio and Chem. the biggest shock was biology and psychology because in past papers I used to get C or above . So yes basically I failed my a levels which none of my teachers understood as well as they always saw me working hard ,but during a levels I was very depressed and also struggled a lot and when it came to the end of year exams I stressed too much which may have been one of the reasons I did badly . I still would love to study something dentistry related or psychology related at university however both require very high grades , I don't know wether to repeat my A level exams or go to college because I think that the way students are examined at college might be more suitable for me personally , but some of the courses I have looked at only take in a level students . I am really stressed about what to do next any advice would be much appreciated !!
Reply 13
Original post by LM99+
Hi, so I received my results on Thursday and I don't think I have Ever felt so disappointed in my life , that day felt like everything fell apart for me . I took A level chemistry biology and psychology ( chemistry was a big mistake but I realised too late that it was not the subject for me however I took the risk because I really wanted to originally apply for dentistry ) I was predicted ABC but unfortunately came out with a D in psychology and U in bio and Chem. the biggest shock was biology and psychology because in past papers I used to get C or above . So yes basically I failed my a levels which none of my teachers understood as well as they always saw me working hard ,but during a levels I was very depressed and also struggled a lot and when it came to the end of year exams I stressed too much which may have been one of the reasons I did badly . I still would love to study something dentistry related or psychology related at university however both require very high grades , I don't know wether to repeat my A level exams or go to college because I think that the way students are examined at college might be more suitable for me personally , but some of the courses I have looked at only take in a level students . I am really stressed about what to do next any advice would be much appreciated !!

Maybe try and find a foundation year somewhere, or you can resit your a levels, one is moving on and one is staying where you are. It’s up to you 😊
Reply 14
Original post by Xzur
Maybe try and find a foundation year somewhere, or you can resit your a levels, one is moving on and one is staying where you are. It’s up to you 😊

I looked for foundation years But i Wasnt able to apply to any because I would need at least 2 a levels or enough points which I don't have ,even with my B form EPQ :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by LM99+
I looked for foundation years But i Wasnt able to apply to any because I would need at least 2 a levels or enough points which I don't have ,even with my B form EPQ :frown:

Ah, I’m sorry. Did you try all universities which offer the course with foundation year? If not, you can retake, as others have mentioned
We are our own harshest critics. Look at what you enjoy. Think about what you would like to do and go for it. Yes, A levels are an access course but not everyone can pass exams however brilliant and personality, enthusiasm and determination are probably a better measure of future success regardless. Good luck (And if you genuinely need better grades then get a job and retake. Look on it as an opportunity to gain a skill and earn some money. Always a good thing)
Reply 17
The first thing you should do is consider what your options and ambitions are. It's okay to feel down about your grades, but know that within a week after results day you should start making fast decisions on what you want to do and plan ahead.

If you want to go on to further studies, then consider either doing a foundation year (And then possibly transferring to a different uni if you're not happy there) or repeating a year in A-level.

Depends on what sort o field you want to work in. If it's competitive jobs in investment banking, corporate finance, law at a magic firm then your A-levels grade would hinder you. Some big companies tend to have a UCAS requirement (e.g. HSBC, although you can get in through an alternative route, as I had experienced), but there are far more companies out there with the same pay that will ignore your GCSE's and A-levels. Other than that, they are far more focused on what skills you have been nurturing and the amount of relevant experience you had accumulated.

Me and some friends were at the same situation as you 2/3yrs ago, but didn't let it be the end of the world for us. I have been working on myself and getting as much experience as I can whilst at uni to apply for graduate schemes this year. One of my friends decided to abandon the idea of uni, took the apprenticeship route and has recently became a chartered quantity surveyor recently making more than many graduates.

To summarise, there's so much you can do, so don't let your grades get the best of you.
Reply 18
Original post by kkboyk

Depends on what sort o field you want to work in. If it's competitive jobs in investment banking, corporate finance, law at a magic firm then your A-levels grade would hinder you. Some big companies tend to have a UCAS requirement (e.g. HSBC, although you can get in through an alternative route, as I had experienced), but there are far more companies out there with the same pay that will ignore your GCSE's and A-levels. Other than that, they are far more focused on what skills you have been nurturing and the amount of relevant experience you had accumulated.

Me and some friends were at the same situation as you 2/3yrs ago, but didn't let it be the end of the world for us. I have been working on myself and getting as much experience as I can whilst at uni to apply for graduate schemes this year. One of my friends decided to abandon the idea of uni, took the apprenticeship route and has recently became a chartered quantity surveyor recently making more than many graduates.

To summarise, there's so much you can do, so don't let your grades get the best of you.

What kind of grades do you need for magic firms or IB then?
Reply 19
What kind of grades do you need for magic firms or IB then?

High grades, bearing in mind that majority of the applicants applying have achieved As and they receive LOTS of applicants. These particular firms look at:
- degree result
- university attended
- Uni extra curriculars (includes part time jobs)
- A level results

Poor performance on one of those factors can be compensated by good performance on the others but there are some that can't be compensated i.e. a 2:ii will rarely be overlooked. Likewise, many firms won't consider graduates from certain institutions (notwithstanding anecdotal evidence), and some put greater emphasis on one of the criteria above compared to the rest.

Also this answer doesn't necessarily apply to other fields. Do you know what you want to do?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest