The Student Room Group

What if all your workforce gets pregnant all at one?

Poll

How would you avert tons of your workforce being absent simultaneously?

Somehow, 10% of the staff at an Arizona ICU have become pregnant at the same time. Possibly there was a really hot patient a few months ago, or they coordinated it or something.

Imagine you are a business owner. You have a lot of female employees of childbearing age. In fact, so many that 10% (or higher) of your experienced workforce could be gone on maternity leave at the same time. This would obviously impact on your ability to trade, as you'd have to bring in temporary people who didn't really know what they were doing. In such a position, would you be tempted to hire men or older women for the next few positions that came available, even if the best candidate were a woman under 30?

You could even justify it by claiming diversity. What would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hire the best people. If they're noticeably better, then chances are years of more productive work from them will more than balance out 6 months or whatever at a slightly reduced efficiency.
I'm sure this happens all the time.

I wonder if hospitals have any choice anyway - nurses are in short supply in most places in the world (think NHS post Brexit, lmfao you guys have no idea what you are in for).
I'd congratulate them
Reply 4
There is no difference between men and women. Absolutely none.
This reminds me of the discovery of Japanese companies forcing women to get pregnant in turns on a tight schedule or risk getting fired if pregnant out of place. It also reminds me of the recent scandal of a Medical school deliberately manipulating entry exam scores to give females a low chance of being able to get accepted so that the country has more male doctors because females are unreliable with their pregnancies lol

I'm just a weeb passing through.
One of the patients must’ve had an unexpected time of their lives with all those nurses.
I suppose it depends where you are standing, I'd expect a larger company to be able to factor that into their long term expenses, it;s not like they aren't aware of the concept.

On the other hand to a small company it could almost immediately break them losing 2 or more members of staff at once, potentially bringing the business close to failure which is going to be far more concern to the owner who is likely to be heavily personally invested in the business and doesn't have same safety nets, after having that happen once I could understand a small business owner thinking 'that almost destroyed my livelihood, i've done my bit but this is not happening again'
Reply 8
Original post by Dheorl
Hire the best people. If they're noticeably better, then chances are years of more productive work from them will more than balance out 6 months or whatever at a slightly reduced efficiency.

So if a male candidate only slightly falls short of the best candidate who's a woman in her 20s, you'd hire the man?
Original post by Tawheed

Biology fail. I've even mentioned the biggest difference in the OP and poll.
Reply 9
Original post by ThomH97

Biology fail. I've even mentioned the biggest difference in the OP and poll.

I pray in the 22nd century people can be more open minded against the sexist idea that men and women have differences and perhaps there might be a system that is not sexist that recognises this compared to the bigotry in the 21st.

The reality is, men and women are different on a number of levels. Treating them identically is not true equality.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed

How about you rephrase your statement :colonhash: I could list a large number of differences.
Reply 11
Original post by ThomH97
So if a male candidate only slightly falls short of the best candidate who's a woman in her 20s, you'd hire the man?

I said noticeably. If I can notice the woman is better, I'd hire the woman.
It obviously does impact hiring decisions, which is why feminist groups should be emphasising equal parenting rights and paternity leave as a matter of priority. Beyond a couple weeks this does not have to represent a biological difference for a wiling woman.
Original post by ThomH97

Imagine you are a business owner. You have a lot of female employees of childbearing age. In fact, so many that 10% (or higher) of your experienced workforce could be gone on maternity leave at the same time. This would obviously impact on your ability to trade

Well clearly. But if you are a shrewd business owner you would be able to plan for this. I mean think about it - the weather probably has a more sizeable impact on profits than whether some of the workforce go off on maternity leave but we don't get all hot under the collar about that do we?

Schools are predominantly female and they manage just fine. In fact, ironically, the availability of maternity leave contracts allows those who have had kids to work more flexibly. Everyone wins. It is only a close minded, inward looking mentality that fails to see the massive benefit to all staff offering flexible working conditions can bring a business. Instead businesses prefer to have workers chained to their desks where they spend 60% of their time surfing the net and doing Facebook in the misbelief that it is the only way to keep productivity up.
(edited 5 years ago)
I rate the guy who got that many women pregnant at once. What a legend :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Dheorl
I said noticeably. If I can notice the woman is better, I'd hire the woman.
How about the benefits of diversity? If that much of your workforce is likely to get pregnant simultaneously then you probably have a disproportionate number of women.

Original post by ByEeek
Well clearly. But if you are a shrewd business owner you would be able to plan for this. I mean think about it - the weather probably has a more sizeable impact on profits than whether some of the workforce go off on maternity leave but we don't get all hot under the collar about that do we?

Schools are predominantly female and they manage just fine. In fact, ironically, the availability of maternity leave contracts allows those who have had kids to work more flexibly. Everyone wins. It is only a close minded, inward looking mentality that fails to see the massive benefit to all staff offering flexible working conditions can bring a business. Instead businesses prefer to have workers chained to their desks where they spend 60% of their time surfing the net and doing Facebook in the misbelief that it is the only way to keep productivity up.

So what would you suggest the person recruiting for the ICU do or should have done to plan for it? There aren't enough nurses and most applicants are female.
Reply 16
Original post by ThomH97
How about the benefits of diversity? If that much of your workforce is likely to get pregnant simultaneously then you probably have a disproportionate number of women.

If my team were lacking a particular character/personality, for instance a leader, or a problem solver or whatever, then I would hire someone who had that trait, regardless of gender.
Original post by ThomH97
So what would you suggest the person recruiting for the ICU do or should have done to plan for it? There aren't enough nurses and most applicants are female.

Yes. Because the applicant who might end up giving birth may be the best person for the job. Might be exceedingly loyal over the long run. Might be willing to put in the extra effort when required and might have friends / peers who they can also attract to the job. The problem with the blinkered like yourself is that you see a woman who gives birth as being a massive problem without looking at all the benefits or abilities that person can bring to a job. You see it as black and white. It is anything but. Like I said - there are benefits to all by employers being flexible about working hours. I can think of very few businesses that benefit from working 9-5. In fact if anything, businesses that employee people 9-5 are likely to be pretty miserable and unproductive places. I mean - if you had fought the rush hour to get to work on time, would you be in a good mood to do a productive days work? I wouldn't.
Devils advocate.
Original post by yudothis
I'm sure this happens all the time.

I wonder if hospitals have any choice anyway - nurses are in short supply in most places in the world (think NHS post Brexit, lmfao you guys have no idea what you are in for).

Assuming you’re right, why is that funny? Unless of course you’re just a sadistic monster

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending