The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crash66
Hey!

Firstly, well done on your UKCAT! I did my BMAT last year and thankfully did really well.

Unlike the UKCAT, the BMAT is a lot more straightforward to revise for.

Firstly, since it's a normal paper and pen exam, there's no necessity to use a question bank from online. Secondly, unlike the UKCAT, BMAT past papers back to I think 2003 are available on their website.

When I started revising for the BMAT I also looked into different resources I could use, and I even got my hands on a couple of books!

However, I found that the absolute best way to revise was just using the past papers available. You have 16 years worth, and if you want to do every essay title for each year then you have loads to be getting on with!

The way I found best for revision was to do the papers, then go to my teachers/friends with questions I didn't understand. TSR is really good for this too! Make sure you really understand why you got a question wrong - understanding new ways of thinking is best form of revision!!!

Start off without giving yourself a time limit, then start timing yourself. Don't allow yourself too many untimed papers - you need to stick to time in the real thing! People often push paper 3 revision off - don't! The sooner you start, the better you'll get! Also remember that BMAT has a syllabus for the GCSE science that you have to know - even if you are doing all 3 sciences at A Level, it is worth going through the syllabus and writing notes on it, making sure you know all your equations etc

Finally, remember to give yourself breaks! You've just finished ukcat revision so make sure you don't get burnt out!

Also remember that if you did well in the UKCAT you have a really high chance of succeeding in the BMAT too!!

Good luck :smile:

Hey,

I was looking to apply to some unis in London, e.g. UCL, imperial and Kings. I'm doing my UKCAT soon but am getting fluctuating scores on medify so I just wanted to know how similar is VR and AR to the actual UKCAT because those are my weakest at the moment and with the BMAT did you only use past papers and do you think the textbook would be useful?
Thank you for such a helpful reply!

Original post by Crash66
Hey!

Firstly, well done on your UKCAT! I did my BMAT last year and thankfully did really well.

Unlike the UKCAT, the BMAT is a lot more straightforward to revise for.

Firstly, since it's a normal paper and pen exam, there's no necessity to use a question bank from online. Secondly, unlike the UKCAT, BMAT past papers back to I think 2003 are available on their website.

When I started revising for the BMAT I also looked into different resources I could use, and I even got my hands on a couple of books!

However, I found that the absolute best way to revise was just using the past papers available. You have 16 years worth, and if you want to do every essay title for each year then you have loads to be getting on with!

The way I found best for revision was to do the papers, then go to my teachers/friends with questions I didn't understand. TSR is really good for this too! Make sure you really understand why you got a question wrong - understanding new ways of thinking is best form of revision!!!

Start off without giving yourself a time limit, then start timing yourself. Don't allow yourself too many untimed papers - you need to stick to time in the real thing! People often push paper 3 revision off - don't! The sooner you start, the better you'll get! Also remember that BMAT has a syllabus for the GCSE science that you have to know - even if you are doing all 3 sciences at A Level, it is worth going through the syllabus and writing notes on it, making sure you know all your equations etc

Finally, remember to give yourself breaks! You've just finished ukcat revision so make sure you don't get burnt out!

Also remember that if you did well in the UKCAT you have a really high chance of succeeding in the BMAT too!!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by bobollybee
Wow congrats!! All the best for your first year as a med student!!

I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle and Manchester. What UKCAT score did you get? Cos I heard they wanted v good UKCAT scores....

I got 3120 (780 avg)... I'm fairly sure the high UKCAT helped me after interviews as well so I would say nail the UKCAT and you'll walk into an offer :smile:

If you want any specific tips about it hmu cause I still have my old notebook with my plan for each section in it - I don't need it anymore!
Original post by safa_k
what did u get in ukcat/bmat?

UKCAT my average was 705
BMAT section 1: 7.0, section 2: 6.5, section 3: 3A
Original post by Stewdet
I just got into my firm for 2018 med entry, I'd be happy to answer any questions!!!

Great news. Which uni made the firm offer? BMAT presumably? Thx
Original post by Crash66
UKCAT my average was 705
BMAT section 1: 7.0, section 2: 6.5, section 3: 3A

I only have 2 weeks left until BMAT? What would u recommend me doing? And how long did u revise for?
Hi all
I see that Bristol admission policy has changed this year and they look at UKCAT heavily now. Was it the same for 2018 entry?
Reply 407
Original post by Qweasdzxc2000
Great news. Which uni made the firm offer? BMAT presumably? Thx

Yes it was definitely BMAT ahaha. I am starting at UCL next month. However, I did get an interview at Cardiff even with the UKCAT score that I had.
Original post by RGaya3
Hi all
I see that Bristol admission policy has changed this year and they look at UKCAT heavily now. Was it the same for 2018 entry?

No that's new starting from this year. For the 2018 entry, Bristol was still PS heavy.
Original post by Zarx662
Qualifications:
Gcse - 9,8, 8A* 2A
AS - ( really badly messed these up as had a personal issue ongoing I didn't apply for extenuating circumstances and took my chances this will be stated in my reference)
A(bio) B(maths) C(chem)
Hopefully will be predicted: A*AA (music is my 3rd a a level but I didn't take the AS

Extra Curricular:
Grade 8 piano ( working to diploma)
Grade 5 singing
Play tennis for my local team
Played chess to national regional and county level
Member of high school sports teams for 5 years
Deputy Head Girl
Completing World challenge
Completing Gold Dofe
EPQ
Recieved highly commened in biology olympiad

Volunteering/work experience:
- 3 days with a pharmacist
- 3 weeks at GP practice
- Volunteered at a care home for over a year
- Currently run the school chess club
- maths mentor to a year 8 pupil

Looking at Bristol , Kings , Newcastle and Liverpool
Want to know what my chances are. I am very worried due to my AS results being so poor any help appreciated. :smile:)

Your AS grades won't be a problem at most Medical schools. If your A grades at A level include Chemistry and Biology you will have lots of choices.

You will get the best response in this thread, which has been really busy in previous years, but nobody has found this year yet
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1043586

You need to include our UKCAT score to get the best answers.
Original post by txo298
Hey so I'm currently in year 12 and I was just wondering if you think I have a chance of getting into medicine?

I'm thinking of applying to Bristol, Liverpool, Sheffield and Manchester

I have 2 9s, 1 7, 1 A*, 6 As at GCSE and am predicted 3 As in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

EXTRAs:
Head girl
Badminton and rounders teams for 5 years
10 months of volunteering at a school for kids with autism
4 days shadowing a consultant in various departments in obstetrics & gynaecology
1 day shadowing a medical team in cardiology
1 week in BCH (children's hospital)
1 week in a GP surgery
1 week in palliative care
Got into the Aspiring Doctor's Programme
Attended the Young Doctor's Programme

Three of those you mention rely on high UKCAT scores as their main criteria for interview. Try posting on this thread below when you know your UKCAT score

Hi I’m Ben

Just got my A levels of A*, A, A. Taking Gap year sitting UKCAT in Aug 30th, thinking of sitting BMAT later.

Firstly, I am re-sitting my GCSE English language over my GAP year which restricts me to some Unis (that allow re-sits). for reference I got 2A*(phy, chem), 4A (bio, math, business and English literature), 3B (Geo, I.C.T, R.E) and C in English language. I have done decent amount of work experience: 2 weeks in hospital, 6 weeks in cardiovascular rehabilitation unit.

My GCSE's for medicine are pretty weak, so far I know I can apply to after my resit and not get immediately rejected at (UKCAT Unis) KCL, St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth and East Anglia. (BMAT Unis) UCL, imperial college London. These Unis (I think) do not rank GCSE's if you pass minimum requirement which in most cases is a B in Maths and English language. But some C like Exeter, Bristol and Plymouth.

I am looking to apply to KCL, Bristol, Exeter/St Andrews and UCL/Imperial. This all depends on my UKCAT + BMAT score I get :/ However hopefully if i achieve 680+ do you recon i stand a chance of interview of my selected UKCAT Unis?

Also any advice on KCL apparently the typical applicant has 8A* GCSE’s! Does anyone know if they rank GCSE's in their selection process/ do I even stand a chance bro?? In an ideal world if I got my offers for UKCAT Unis I would go to KCL cos London. If I got all my offers most likely that tasty BMAT Uni but who knows >

Finally, any advice on how to decide between Exeter/ St Andrews and UCL/imperial. Plus with my stats is it even smart to apply to a high end BMAT Uni?

Thanks, needed to get this off my chest.
Reply 412
Original post by meddad
Three of those you mention rely on high UKCAT scores as their main criteria for interview. Try posting on this thread below when you know your UKCAT score

ah thanks, however that thread is from 2009 but i appreciate the comment
Original post by txo298
ah thanks, however that thread is from 2009 but i appreciate the comment

that's weird. I just checked the post I replied to and it says 07-07-2018.

Did you get in?
Reply 414
Original post by meddad
that's weird. I just checked the post I replied to and it says 07-07-2018.

Did you get in?

my apologies, my laptop just wasn't letting me see the recent comments.

I'm doing my UKCAT in 9 days and apply this October (:
what has everyone got for the UKCAT?
Original post by TomSmith12345
I got 3120 (780 avg)... I'm fairly sure the high UKCAT helped me after interviews as well so I would say nail the UKCAT and you'll walk into an offer :smile:

If you want any specific tips about it hmu cause I still have my old notebook with my plan for each section in it - I don't need it anymore!

I'm struggling with AR and VR, do you have any tips please?
Hi
I'm wondering what unis should I be applying to with my stats (2019 entry)

GCSEs : 10 A*s
Predicted A-level grades (bio, chem, maths): A*A*A*
EPQ: grade yet to be confirmed
UKCAT : 727.5 (2910), Band 2 SJT
BMAT : taking in October

Provided my personal statement and references are good, which unis do you think i should consider applying to?
Original post by pizza26
Hi
I'm wondering what unis should I be applying to with my stats (2019 entry)

GCSEs : 10 A*s
Predicted A-level grades (bio, chem, maths): A*A*A*
EPQ: grade yet to be confirmed
UKCAT : 727.5 (2910), Band 2 SJT
BMAT : taking in October

Provided my personal statement and references are good, which unis do you think i should consider applying to?

Literally anywhere you want. Your stats are amazing!
Fifth year medical student at Nottingham here, browsing the forums for the first time in a while!

If you're reading through this thread feeling disheartened by some people's stats/extra-curricular activities, don't worry about that too much! Focus on yourself and your own application and apply to your strengths.

Work hard on your A levels; you can do as much extra-curricular work as you want, but if you drop grades at A level, you won't secure a place.
There's alot of people who have great lists of volunteering/work experience placements but they fall short at A levels.

If you've not got the most extravagant list of extra-curricular activities (mine wasn't extensive), just work hard on flaunting what you have done in your personal statement. Simply listing your various achievements means nothing, reflecting on what you've gained from them is key.

Other than that, work smart, eat good food, exercise. Good luck!

Feel free to pm me if you've got any questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending