Original post by alleycat393
Which course?

Psychology.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Psychology.

It's an academic course so you don't need work experience :smile:
It's an academic course so you don't need work experience :smile:

Okay thank you, what about English lit and law?

Work experience is definitely needed for law.
Original post by Grade A

Okay thanks. 👍😊

Nope and nope

Original post by Grade A

Law is an academic subject as well and doesn't train you to do a specific job so no you don't need work experience.
Law is an academic subject as well and doesn't train you to do a specific job so no you don't need work experience.

Thank you.

If OP is working towards a specific career as e.g a lawyer, then it would be good to have some work experience like working in a law firm.
Though, this isn't necessary, it would certainly enhance the OP's personal statement, and so I would certainly advise @TheAlchemistress to have some work experience if you are going for law.

I've watched this Cambridge University interview video about law, where they liked the fact that the student did work experience about law and had an interesting discussion about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npEcenV-Y08
Original post by Grade A
If OP is working towards a specific career as e.g a lawyer, then it would be good to have some work experience like working in a law firm.
Though, this isn't necessary, it would certainly enhance the OP's personal statement, and so I would certainly advise @TheAlchemistress to have some work experience if you are going for law.

I've watched this Cambridge University interview video about law, where they liked the fact that the student did work experience about law and had an interesting discussion about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npEcenV-Y08

Cambridge is one uni and this is one college of Cambridge and one example! I have been looking at PSs a long time including Oxbridge ones :smile:

Being able to discuss the law from an academic perspective and having work experience are two different things. If you write a statement that makes it look like you don't know that law is an academic subject and just trains you to be a lawyer you run the risk of coming across as someone who hasn't done their research. You can train to be a lawyer without a law degree and a law degree leads to a whole range of careers. You need to show that you have a realistic understanding of what a law degree is about and the bottom line is that it is an academic degree so no having work experience doesn't 'enhance' your application, sorry!

Ps:- in the video they talk about things in the PS which is typical. At no point has it been said that the work experience helped the application. In fact they've reiterated numerous times that no previous law knowledge or experience is required :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending