The Student Room Group

Do not be disappointed with an 8

For starters, it is an A* which used to be the best you can get. Just because it isn't the best now, it is absolutely brilliant.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no
Original post by Your Local Cat
no

Are you saying people should be disappointed?
Reply 3
I just hope universities think that way too.
Some people are going to be disappointed with an 8 and that's perfectly acceptable. You can't tell people not to be disappointed with an 8- some people may have been working at a grade 9 all year, just to find out that they got a grade lower.
Reply 5
Original post by Goldfish4343
Are you saying people should be disappointed?

no
Original post by dvx
Some people are going to be disappointed with an 8 and that's perfectly acceptable. You can't tell people not to be disappointed with an 8- some people may have been working at a grade 9 all year, just to find out that they got a grade lower.

My school never predicted anyone a 9, which is the right thing to do. In most subjects, we have no idea what a 9 will be. It is unfair for the students to expect to get a 9, and be disappointed if they don't. It is still an A*, which was the best, nothing to be disappointed about.
i wish a 9 didn’t exist because it makes an 8 look bad :frown:
It depends on the person. I'd be disappointed with an 8 in some subjects.
Reply 9
Bro I'd be disappointed with a grade 9 because I wanted a grade 10. :s-smilie:
Original post by 3pointonefour

May I ask why? An 8 is an A*. The best you could have got. In most subjects, no one really knew what a 9 would have been, so it is also unfair to predict it.
(edited 5 years ago)
My school never predicted anyone a 9, which is the right thing to do. In most subjects, we have no idea what a 9 will be. It is unfair for the students to expect to get a 9, and be disappointed if they don't. It is still an A*, which was the best, nothing to be disappointed about.

Which brings us to the stupid way which exams are now graded. They should be done on the content of the paper, not how well everyone does.
Original post by Your Local Cat
Bro I'd be disappointed with a grade 9 because I wanted a grade 10. :s-smilie:

Most universities and employers will be booking for a grade 10 at minimum, I'd aim for at least a grade 12 :tongue:
For starters, it is an A* which used to be the best you can get. Just because it isn't the best now, it is absolutely brilliant.

It's not an A*, it's actually less than that. If you look at the tables, an A* is equivalent to an 8.5, so an 8 is actually between an A and an A*.
Well if the student is aiming for the best, they have every right to be disappointed with an 8. An 8 is no longer the best grade, for there is a superior grade above it. Those who are truly aiming for the top in any particular subject (or all of them) will be expecting 9s, and can definitely be dissatisfied with an 8, especially if they exerted an immense amount of effort into trying to attain it. People with extremely high standards can be a little crestfallen with an 8, it is understandable.
(edited 5 years ago)

Same, I think it's kinda rude for somebody to criticize somebody else for being disappointed (as long as they aren't rubbing it in or something). If you've been working for a grade 9 all year, it's only natural to feel disappointed with an 8, even though it's still a really good grade :smile:
May I ask why? An 8 is an A*. The best you could have got. In most subjects, no one really knew what a 9 would have been, so it is also unfair to predict it.

It's the work I put into certain subjects that mean if I got an 8, it wasn't worth the amount of work I did. But that's only for like 3 or 4 subjects. Most of my subjects a 9 would be great but an 8 is still ok.
It's not an A*, it's actually less than that. If you look at the tables, an A* is equivalent to an 8.5, so an 8 is actually between an A and an A*.

Which is still brilliant.

My school only predicted me one 9 in Maths, one of the sixth forms I appled to rejected me because they were looking for predictions of at least four grade 9s, even though my school refused to predict grade 9s in any other subjects. I hope that in the future universities view an 8 and a 9 as being similar.
Which is still brilliant.

It may be brilliant for some, but it's not the top. Some people will want to aim for the top grade since a 9 says much more about the person than an 8 does.

Quick Reply

Latest