The Student Room Group

I'm a Vet Student - Ask Me Anything

"I'm a Vet Student - Ask Me Anything!"

Whether you're a prospective vet student wanting to make sure that all the universities you apply to have an ultimate frisbee team (can confirm for RVC), or if you're a general passer by that's always wanted to know why vets have a reputation for sticking their hands up cows' bums (there's a real reason I swear), or even if you're stalking me in particular and want to ask some personal questions, vet related or otherwise (bank card number and mother's maiden name unfortunately cannot be divulged), go ahead and ask anything*! :awesome:

Of course, this isn't just about me! There are lots of vet students and even qualified vets on here that might be willing to answer your questions. Feel free to tag any of us if your question relates to a specific vet school:

@Little Tail Chaser - fourth year at the Royal Veterinary College
@Louiseee_ - fourth year at Nottingham
@Angry cucumber - graduated from Nottingham
@VMD100 - second year at Liverpool
@Lizziefickling - fourth year at Liverpool (studying as a postgrad)
@SilverstarDJ - graduated from Liverpool
@skatealexia - graduated from Liverpool
@animalmagic - graduate vet
@bristolvet94 - fourth year at Bristol
@lwescott - final year at Kosice, Slovakia (studying as a postgrad)

(If I've tagged you please let me know if I've got your information wrong or if you'd prefer not to be listed here :ninja: . Likewise if I've forgotten you and you'd like to be included )

Ask away! :awesome:

Have a question for a student on another course? Have a look here.

*Anything except for medical advice for your pet. Yes, even to those of us that are qualified. Yes, even if it's an emergency. Seriously. Take them to an emergency clinic.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Would it be better to research two or three topics in depth (e.g. brachcephalics, Addison’s, and TB testing/badger culling) or research 10+ common problems with less depth (knowing the basics but couldn’t stand to further questioning)? This is for interview/personal statement
I would recommend you have some knowledge of all current contentious issues in vet med to a basic degree, no need to know everything in depth about them but if you can hold some sort of conversation about them that would be perfect.
Original post by stimtothesky
Would it be better to research two or three topics in depth (e.g. brachcephalics, Addison’s, and TB testing/badger culling) or research 10+ common problems with less depth (knowing the basics but couldn’t stand to further questioning)? This is for interview/personal statement

My interviews went all over the place, not just focussed on things that had been mentioned in my application or by me. The BVA website has a news section which can be quite good for getting an overview of things currently impacting the profession.

They don't expect you to be experts, you aren't a vet yet, just have an understanding and if it is a more political based stance like brexit or badger culling an opinion. Provided you can back up why you think something and point out there is an alternative school of thought you are on the right track :smile:
Do any of you have pets? (If so, what?)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

Whether you're a prospective vet student wanting to make sure that all the universities you apply to have an ultimate frisbee team (can confirm for RVC), or if you're a general passer by that's always wanted to know why vets have a reputation for sticking their hands up cows' bums (there's a real reason I swear), or even if you're stalking me in particular and want to ask some personal questions, vet related or otherwise (bank card number and mother's maiden name unfortunately cannot be divulged), go ahead and ask anything*! :awesome:

Of course, this isn't just about me! There are lots of vet students and even qualified vets on here that might be willing to answer your questions. Feel free to tag any of us if your question relates to a specific vet school:

@Lizziefickling - final year at Liverpool (studying as a postgrad)

(If I've tagged you please let me know if I've got your information wrong or if you'd prefer not to be listed here :ninja: . Likewise if I've forgotten you and you'd like to be included )

*Anything except for medical advice for your pet. Yes, even to those of us that are qualified. Yes, even if it's an emergency. Seriously. Take them to an emergency clinic.
I’m starting at RVC in September and I’m super excited however I was just wondering what the timetable for a first year is like? Especially on a Friday, is it always 9-5? Thank you :smile:
Within a couple of months of graduating (back in the 80s) I adopted a dog and a cat! Since then I have always had dogs and cats and other pets of various species and we currently have a mini zoo as we have quite a few exotics along with the normal domestic pets.
Reply 7

@Lizziefickling - final year at Liverpool (studying as a postgrad)

I'm 20 and have A's at GCSE but circumstances meant I didn't do A-levels and had a couple of years out of education. In June of this year I finished an Access to HE course in Bio and Chem and got the maximum grades (45/45 Distinctions), but I'm curious as to how realistic a qualification it is to apply with. Quite obviously it's inferior to A-Levels but I'm hoping that experience and motivation can somewhat compensate?
(edited 5 years ago)

I would personally suggest picking a couple of topics to research in reasonable detail (anything you mention on your PS really), and then just try to keep up to date with vetty news. Even the stuff that you learn in depth doesn't have to be PhD level research :wink: They're not necessarily testing your knowledge at this point (save that for vet school finals!), but that you've paid attention and had a keen interest.

Original post by Toastiekid
Do any of you have pets? (If so, what?)

Vet student life doesn't really lend itself to having pets (I'm away from my house far too often for placement, like now :tongue: ) but I do manage to have a little Syrian hamster. Her name is Siri ('cos she's Syrian... I'm hilarious I swear) and she was rescued from a hoarding situation. I've had her almost two years now. I love her even if she keeps me up at night with her nocturnal hamstery ways. Her cage is a converted Ikea cabinet that is as long as I am tall, she's a spoilt little thing :tongue:

Of course I would love to have a doggo or a moggo one day, but realistically that won't happen for a good few years.

Original post by Doglover200
I’m starting at RVC in September and I’m super excited however I was just wondering what the timetable for a first year is like? Especially on a Friday, is it always 9-5? Thank you :smile:

I've already answered your thread but in the interests of keeping the AMA complete and in case anyone else reading has the same question; it's not 9-5 every day in first year no. Of course you're expected to work outside of class hours but you'll either start or finish early most days in first year. The timetable varies weekly so the time you finish on a Friday will vary.

Original post by magna1
I'm 20 and have A's at GCSE but circumstances meant I didn't do A-levels and had a couple of years out of education. In June of this year I finished an Access to HE course in Bio and Chem and got the maximum grades (45/45 Distinctions), but I'm curious as to how realistic a qualification it is to apply with. Quite obviously it's inferior to A-Levels but I'm hoping that experience and motivation can somewhat compensate?

Firstly, holy **** well done on getting the maximum grades!

In response to your question, the bottom line is that if a vet school accepts a qualification, that's that. If you meet the minimum requirements then there are no qualifications that confer any advantage over others. If your course is considered by a university to be sufficient to ensure you can join the first year of the course then it isn't inferior to A levels at all! You shouldn't be so harsh on yourself! :nah:

To my knowledge not all of the vet schools accept Access to HE diplomas (double check on their websites), but for those that do you'll absolutely be on even footing with applicants that did A levels :smile:

Best of luck with your application!
Reply 9

Firstly, holy **** well done on getting the maximum grades!

In response to your question, the bottom line is that if a vet school accepts a qualification, that's that. If you meet the minimum requirements then there are no qualifications that confer any advantage over others. If your course is considered by a university to be sufficient to ensure you can join the first year of the course then it isn't inferior to A levels at all! You shouldn't be so harsh on yourself! :nah:

To my knowledge not all of the vet schools accept Access to HE diplomas (double check on their websites), but for those that do you'll absolutely be on even footing with applicants that did A levels :smile:

Best of luck with your application!

Thank you, much appreciated.

I had interviews at Surrey and the RVC and I got asked almost nothing about animal care or medicine.

It's primarily tests of basic aptitudes, general intelligence, communication skills, common sense etc. rather than your knowledge of animal care, and most of it won't even be vaguely related to vet med. Really, you could go in there knowing essentially nothing about animal care and not having prepared whatsoever and get an offer.

To be honest, interviews are a bit of a sausage factory and aren't at all personalised (going on my experience at least). I expected to be asked about stuff on my personal statement, but it didn't happen: you're just going round stations doing stuff. Likely nobody you speak to will have even seen your personal statement.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by magna1

I applied with an Access to HE diploma in combined science (ended up getting 42/45 at distinction - would have been 45 if I'd not had a brain fart and written an equation wrong in one physics exam. Grumble grumble. Anyway, irrelevant).

I got offers from Surrey and the RVC and have elected for the RVC. I've heard that unis actually prefer Access courses for some reason but to be honest it sounds like rubbish.

But yeah, Access courses are fine.
Reply 12
Original post by charlyrabbit
I applied with an Access to HE diploma in combined science (ended up getting 42/45 at distinction - would have been 45 if I'd not had a brain fart and written an equation wrong in one physics exam. Grumble grumble. Anyway, irrelevant).

I got offers from Surrey and the RVC and have elected for the RVC. I've heard that unis actually prefer Access courses for some reason but to be honest it sounds like rubbish.

But yeah, Access courses are fine.

Thanks for the reply. How much experience did you have at the time if you don't mind me asking? I have a feeling I may be overthinking the experience aspect as I have noticed one or two vet schools mention that a person with more experience than the minimum will not receive extra credit. However, others seem to take a 'the more the better' approach.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by magna1
How much experience did you have at the time if you don't mind me asking? I have a feeling I may be overthinking the experience aspect as I have noticed one or two vet schools mention that a person with more experience than the minimum will not receive extra credit. However, others seem to take a 'the more the better' approach.

Five weeks I think? Two weeks at a small animal surgery, a week at a stables, a week at a wildlife rescue place, a few days at a kennels, a week at a dairy farm - something like that.

If I was doing my work experience again I'd try and find some that drew in more hot-button veterinary issues (for instance at a dairy farm with a current TB outbreak). But I got offers without that, so yeah.

Provided you've got a good spread of stuff and at least four weeks or so I think you should be okay.
Original post by magna1
Thanks for the reply. How much experience did you have at the time if you don't mind me asking? I have a feeling I may be overthinking the experience aspect as I have noticed one or two vet schools mention that a person with more experience than the minimum will not receive extra credit. However, others seem to take a 'the more the better' approach.

Oh, something I should have said before - I don't know if you've found this out yourself but generally I found that the Access to HE grades required are 15 at Distinction each for bio and chem and a variable amount for physics: Surrey wanted at least 9 at Distinction and the RVC were content with just merits.

So you're fine :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by magna1

Do you remember which vet schools said that any work experience above the minimum won't be advantageous?
Reply 16
Original post by 6573282
Do you remember which vet schools said that any work experience above the minimum won't be advantageous?

I'm sure I saw something about extra experience not receiving additional credit on one of the websites.

Having had a quick look on the websites of each vet school though, it appears I was talking complete nonsense. :smile:
Original post by 6573282

I applied to Nottingham, RVC, Bristol and Liverpool in 2017 and Nottingham was the only one which had a maximum of 6 weeks to fill out on the form. Anything above that couldn’t be included (so wouldn’t be considered as an advantage). However, more is advantageous for the most part (if it doesn’t affect studying and your grades etc.) because you can talk about it at interview.
Bork?
Original post by TheHonestLad
Bork?

Awooooooo

Quick Reply

Latest