The Student Room Group

gateway medicine or 5 year with retakes?

I applied to 6 year courses this year and received an offer to study med at Southampton. I missed the grades of BBB so I was unsuccessful. It has been a rough time for me and my family as my mother passed away during my application so this severely affected my results.
I got BCC the Cs in biology and chemistry.
I am remarking biology as I was only 2 marks away from a B, however even if the grade does change there is only one 6 year course that will take me - Bristol.
If I take resit in bio and/or chem to get Bs I can apply to hull york gateway as they take resit applicants. I called southampton and they said that I can retake as they allow mitigating circumstances.
Do you think its hopeless to apply to 6 year courses that only 10-11 places available? Southampton has 30 places but its a chance that they will give me an offer a second time round.
I am sure there a those of you that are wondering why I am even trying for medicine with my grades. But I am passionate about medicine and coming from a disadvantaged background with such circumstances has lead me to such a position. Everything that has happened to me unexpectedly has only made me want to fight harder for this career.
My GCSEs are 3A* 6As and 3Bs last year ukcat 612
Do you think applying to 5 year courses would be more feasible as there is a greater number of places? I am going to retake my subjects anyway.
There is also lancaster foundation ABB that may take me with retakes with mitigating circumstances. But it is a BMAT uni and I have no experience. There is 54 places up for grabs, do you think it would be worthwhile. How hard is it?
There is also GEM but from the stories I have heard I dunno if this would be feasible for me in a couple of years. I also have no idea about medicine abroad.
Has anyone been in my position? Advice?
Reply 1
Thank you for your advice, yeah I read about GEM and the entry requirements seem improbable for me to get onto right after graduation. The course is also quite intensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending