The Student Room Group

Landlord won't give me my deposit?

(UPDATED)

Was just looking for some help on this as I don't post here much,

Moved into a student house (with the student house company SnugPads) and paid a deposit. At the end of my tenancy I find out they have deducted the full deposit due to a damaged bed and a table.

I asked them, what was wrong with the bed? "The frame was damaged" I disputed this and asked them if they had any further details or photographs. They said no.

I asked them, "and the table?" They said, we have no details, it was just damaged. I said no it wasn't, do you have any further details or photographs to back it up? They said no.

They have now told me that they are not going to respond to any of my emails and if I have a problem to hire a solicitor.

What steps can I take do get my deposit back because I feel like I'm being robbed.

***UPDATED***

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump

Turns out I was well in the right as the company got scared after I sent them a letter before court action giving them 10 days to respond or we go to the courts. They got scared it seems and paid up.

I will name and shame the company, they are called Snugpads who rent properties to students of the University Of Salford.

Thanks to everyone that posted and gave advice and if you are a student in the Salford area, DO NOT USE SNUGPADS

Peace
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mm...food
Was just looking for some help on this as I don't post here much,

Moved into a student house (with the student house company SnugPads) and paid a deposit. At the end of my tenancy I find out they have deducted the full deposit due to a damaged bed and a table.

I asked them, what was wrong with the bed? "The frame was damaged" I disputed this and asked them if they had any further details or photographs. They said no.

I asked them, "and the table?" They said, we have no details, it was just damaged. I said no it wasn't, do you have any further details or photographs to back it up? They said no.

They have now told me that they are not going to respond to any of my emails and if I have a problem to hire s solicitor.

What steps can I take do get my deposit back because I feel like I'm being robbed.

Have they put your deposit in a deposit protection scheme? You should be able to log in and contest their deductions. They will need to provide evidence. Do you have photos of when you moved in and when you moved out?

@Reue I seem to remember you know a lot about this stuff? :beard:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Have they put your deposit in a deposit protection scheme? You should be able to log in and contest their deductions. They will need to provide evidence. Do you have photos of when you moved in and when you moved out?

I believe it is not in a deposit protection scheme no. That is the question I keep emailing them about but I think they have blocked me.

They have now told me that they are not going to respond to any of my emails and if I have a problem to hire s solicitor.

I'd certainly call their bluff on this. If they have no evidence to prove the bed and table are damaged and you have proof otherwise, it'll fall in your favour.

Did you complete an inventory form/take photos of the student house at the beginning of your tenancy?

Could speak to your SU for legal advice before splashing out on a solicitor.
I believe it is not in a deposit protection scheme no. That is the question I keep emailing them about but I think they have blocked me.

In which case you can take them to court and claim compensation:
https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/if-your-landlord-doesnt-protect-your-deposit

I would speak to your SU as they may have services that can help you with this process.
Reply 5
Original post by CTLeafez
I'd certainly call their bluff on this. If they have no evidence to prove the bed and table are damaged and you have proof otherwise, it'll fall in your favour.

Did you complete an inventory form/take photos of the student house at the beginning of your tenancy?

Could speak to your SU for legal advice before splashing out on a solicitor.

Unfortunately I do not have photographic proof of the areas in question as I did not expect them to do this at the end of the tenancy :/ I just know for sure that they weren't damaged. Surely they have to have evidence before they make a deduction??
Unfortunately I do not have photographic proof of the areas in question as I did not expect them to do this at the end of the tenancy :/ I just know for sure that they weren't damaged. Surely they have to have evidence before they make a deduction??

Did you do an inventory form when you first moved in?
Reply 7
Original post by CTLeafez
Did you do an inventory form when you first moved in?

They didn't conduct one
Reply 8

Was the deposit held in a protection scheme? If you don't know you need to contact them and ask, there are only 3: https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection

If the deposit has not been protected then they have broken the law and you can sue. The judge must award you your full deposit amount back plus 1-3x the deposit about as a penalty against the landlord/agent.

So first step is finding out if it has been protected.
Reply 9
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump

Turns out I was well in the right as the company got scared after I sent them a letter before court action giving them 10 days to respond or we go to the courts. They got scared it seems and paid up.

I will name and shame the company, they are called Snugpads who rent properties to students of the University Of Salford.

Thanks to everyone that posted and gave advice and if you are a student in the Salford area, DO NOT USE SNUGPADS
Reply 10
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Thanks for this, please see above post

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending