The Student Room Group

Can I continue to drive with my Indian license after provisional license?

Hi,
I am from India and driving here for the last 7 months with my Indian license, since as per rule I can drive with my non-GB license for the 1st 1 year. Now I want to apply for my provisional license. Can I continue to drive with my Indian license even after my provisional license arrives?

Thanks,
AD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by newintheuk2017
Hi,
I am from India and driving here for the last 7 months with my Indian license, since as per rule I can drive with my non-GB license for the 1st 1 year. Now I want to apply for my provisional license. Can I continue to drive with my Indian license even after my provisional license arrives?

Thanks,
AD

Interesting question.

I'd have thought that you could drive on your Indian licence until the 12 months is up, but if you were stopped by the Police you're going to flag up as being provisional licence holder on the DVLA system.

I wouldn't risk it, personally.
Aren't you supposed to surrender your Indian license / swap it FOR the provisional one?
Reply 3
Original post by nevershear
Aren't you supposed to surrender your Indian license / swap it FOR the provisional one?

There's not a swap procedure for an Indian licence because of how laughable the Indian test is.
Original post by IWMTom
There's not a swap procedure for an Indian licence because of how laughable the Indian test is.

I believe there are only very few countries which are allowed to swap/exchange their licenses with a UK one. If an Indian license would be so laughable, then UK Gov wouldn't have allowed Indian license holders to drive for one full year with the existing 'laughable' license.

Anyway, thanks all for your help, I called up DVLA today and figured out the answer.
Reply 5
I believe there are only very few countries which are allowed to swap/exchange their licenses with a UK one. If an Indian license would be so laughable, then UK Gov wouldn't have allowed Indian license holders to drive for one full year with the existing 'laughable' license.

Anyway, thanks all for your help, I called up DVLA today and figured out the answer.

It is laughable.. you literally drive down a road without crashing...

It's why India isn't on the list you refer to!

Correct & you can use pretty much every license in the UK, but there's a reason why many of them aren't straight swaps, we don't mean to offend you but yeah I would have done my test somewhere else, got back here and converted the license to an EU one as would many others because it'd be easier and probably cheaper to get a license abroad; I mean in South Africa you can pretty much just slide 3000 rand and buy one - then this country would be a bigger clown fiesta on the roads than it already is.
Original post by IWMTom
It is laughable.. you literally drive down a road without crashing...

It's why India isn't on the list you refer to!

I think it is designed to make sure that cows can pass it. It is certainly laughable, and the whole world laughs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfLNqjh4j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK7ZpwFU7fk

This chap apparently passed by driving foward for twenty yards and reversing back again. He didn't even show any signs he had seen the pedestrians that were in his way,and was driving a ta silly speed for such a manoeuvre. Having such unskilled people on British roads would be a nightmare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_aO8iHQJrk

Why do we let them drive for a year?
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke

Your guess is as good as mine :confused:
Guys, good job on all the RACIAL comments instead of helping out. Shows the real genuineness of this site.

Good Bye!
Original post by username4218334
Guys, good job on all the RACIAL comments instead of helping out. Shows the real genuineness of this site.

Good Bye!

No racist comments have been made. Comments have been passed on the fact that the Indian driving test is very easy and not fit for purpose. Race does not come into it. Obviously.
Reply 11
Original post by username4218334

Good Bye!

Could you point out where the racist comments are?
No racist comments have been made. Comments have been passed on the fact that the Indian driving test is very easy and not fit for purpose. Race does not come into it. Obviously.

OP has now deleted their account :laugh:
To be fair, how hard a test is has little relevance to whether you can exchange your licence. I've had a UK licence since I was 18 but I still had to do the full written and practical test to get a US licence, and the US test was far, far easier (well, except for the torrential rain!).
Original post by nevershear
Correct & you can use pretty much every license in the UK, but there's a reason why many of them aren't straight swaps, we don't mean to offend you but yeah I would have done my test somewhere else, got back here and converted the license to an EU one as would many others because it'd be easier and probably cheaper to get a license abroad; I mean in South Africa you can pretty much just slide 3000 rand and buy one - then this country would be a bigger clown fiesta on the roads than it already is.

I just checked out of curiosity, and interestingly South Africa is a swap country! :lol:

"Designated countries’ are: Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe."

I guess the relaxed rules for visitors exist as it would be impractical to test everyone, especially if they were only here for a short amount of time. Admittedly it doesn't make much sense if they're on a joke licence, but the alternative would be banning them completely. :s-smilie:
Original post by jameswhughes

Admittedly it doesn't make much sense if they're on a joke licence, but the alternative would be banning them completely. :s-smilie:

Well, the alternative sounds a damn site more sensible for a country like India where, judging by those videos, my grandmother could pass the test (and she died in 1983, never having driven in her life).
This went from 0 to 100... FAST
Original post by RoyalSheepy
This went from 0 to 100... FAST

Ye brb gonna go respond to everyone's posts asking "how quickly can I pass" "within 48 hours if you go to South Africa, buy a license, bring it back and change it."

Let the fun begin.
Hi. What was their response to that from dvla ? Even I’m in same situation. I got my provisional. I passed my theory test. I planned to take my own car for practical test. So can I go by myself driving to the test centre ? Am I allowed to drive with Indian license ?
Original post by IWMTom
Interesting question.

I'd have thought that you could drive on your Indian licence until the 12 months is up, but if you were stopped by the Police you're going to flag up as being provisional licence holder on the DVLA system.

I wouldn't risk it, personally.

This happenned with me i wonder what happens next now.

Quick Reply

Latest