The Student Room Group

Biomedical sciences degree?

Should I bother doing this degree? I have an offer to study this at a top UK universty but don't know if I should. I don't want to become a biomedical scientist but I am interested in the learning of biology and learning how it applies in the real word. I originally chose this course as I thought it would give me a lot of opportunities as it is so broad so I could go onto undertake jobs in the finance sector for example by a graduate scheme once I had gained enough experience. Is it even possible to do this? I don't know if this is right for me. I don't want to start uni or work so hard for a degree that in the ends it's difficult to find a job. Any advice is appreciated thanks.
Original post by mansnothot
Should I bother doing this degree? I have an offer to study this at a top UK universty but don't know if I should. I don't want to become a biomedical scientist but I am interested in the learning of biology and learning how it applies in the real word. I originally chose this course as I thought it would give me a lot of opportunities as it is so broad so I could go onto undertake jobs in the finance sector for example by a graduate scheme once I had gained enough experience. Is it even possible to do this? I don't know if this is right for me. I don't want to start uni or work so hard for a degree that in the ends it's difficult to find a job. Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Biomedical science can obviously lead to lots of great opportunities, but if you're not feeling enthusiastic about the degree right now, that may be a sign it's not right for you.

What would you do instead in September?
There are very few non-biomed graduate prospects after doing a biomedical science degree. Most people who study biomed end up doing either a PhD to work as a post doc researcher in a laboratory, go into school teaching biology or end up doing a non graduate job.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Biomedical science can obviously lead to lots of great opportunities, but if you're not feeling enthusiastic about the degree right now, that may be a sign it's not right for you.

What would you do instead in September?

Get a job, improve my skills, apply to relevant work experience. The thing is i got given this offer even though I missed entry requirements so I may not get this chance again.
Reply 4
Original post by La Mallorquina
There are very few non-biomed graduate prospects after doing a biomedical science degree. Most people who study biomed end up doing either a PhD to work as a post doc researcher in a laboratory, go into school teaching biology or end up doing a non graduate job.

Examples of non graduate jobs? And when u mean there are very few that is a choice right? Are you saying its is difficult to get jobs not related to biomed after completion of degree course?
Get a job, improve my skills, apply to relevant work experience. The thing is i got given this offer even though I missed entry requirements so I may not get this chance again.

I think this is a great plan. Probably part of the reason you got in even though you missed your offer, is because competition for places is lower this year- mainly due to UK demographics and lower numbers of mature applicants. It's very likely the situation would be similar next year. You could also ask about deferring your place for a year to explore your options.

FWIW, I disagree with the other poster. There are lots of grad schemes out there where they don't care which degree you have done, so it's not true that there are no "non-biomedicine" opportunities out there. There are also laboratory career options in the NHS and private industries, or you could possibly go into pharma.
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think this is a great plan. Probably part of the reason you got in even though you missed your offer, is because competition for places is lower this year- mainly due to UK demographics and lower numbers of mature applicants. It's very likely the situation would be similar next year. You could also ask about deferring your place for a year to explore your options.

FWIW, I disagree with the other poster. There are lots of grad schemes out there where they don't care which degree you have done, so it's not true that there are no "non-biomedicine" opportunities out there. There are also laboratory career options in the NHS and private industries, or you could possibly go into pharma.

Thank you but its also I want to go to uni this year and it feels a waste if I'm not productive. I also got an offer to study Chem Eng at Surrey but I just called them up and see if they would offer me and they did. Then again I don't want to just jump onto any course without researching into it. I think with biomed atleast I will find it interesting. Its just after completion of the course that worries. But if that is the case that there are grad schemes available then I wouldn't mind studying biomed as long as I can get onto a grad scheme and work for a company. How difficult would getting onto one be?
Thank you but its also I want to go to uni this year and it feels a waste if I'm not productive. I also got an offer to study Chem Eng at Surrey but I just called them up and see if they would offer me and they did. Then again I don't want to just jump onto any course without researching into it. I think with biomed atleast I will find it interesting. Its just after completion of the course that worries. But if that is the case that there are grad schemes available then I wouldn't mind studying biomed as long as I can get onto a grad scheme and work for a company. How difficult would getting onto one be?

I'm afraid I couldn't say how competitive particular grad schemes are. I imagine it's commercially sensitive information, so the exact figures may not be widely available.

It's natural to worry about not getting a job, but at the moment, employment prospects are as good as they have been for a long time. However, who knows where we will be in 3 years time? All you can do is make yourself as employable as possible- and getting a degree in any subject is only one part of this.
I graduated from UCL with a first in Biomedical Sciences last year. I have found it particularly difficult to find a job, and have had to resort to working part-time in retail until I find something like a research assistant position or can save up for a Master's (hopefully 2019 now). It's soul destroying and depressing to say the least. I have applied for numerous research assistant roles and other scientific jobs, where I meet the essential and some of the desirable criteria, and have not even been shortlisted. I have had my CV and cover-letter checked via Careers, and they are both fine.

Yes, biomedical science is interesting, challenging and broad. However, competition is very high for graduate schemes afterwards too. If you do pursue this degree, make sure you try and get experience in any way possible, as it might help. Apply for internships for your second year summer (I applied for three in the UK and wasn't lucky, although a few friends applied abroad and got them), volunteer, join a society ( become a president of one in your last year). Anything that will make you stand out, go for it!
(edited 5 years ago)
Examples of non graduate jobs? And when u mean there are very few that is a choice right? Are you saying its is difficult to get jobs not related to biomed after completion of degree course?

Like working in a shop or cleaning etc. Things that don’t require a degree.

There are so many people I know who have 1st class degrees in biomedical sciences and either cant get a job or are doing a non graduate job. There are ofcourse opportunities for biomedical scientists but guess what? The market is saturated with biomedical science graduates. Every Tom, **** and Harry has a biomed degree nowerdays and therefore the competition even for a rubbish lowly paid lab tech job is immense. It’s slave labour even if you do get it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I just don’t want you going into a degree that you are not extremely passionate about and ending up with a pretty useless degree
(edited 5 years ago)

Moved to bio sciences courses :smile:

There are many non-biomed career paths post-degree, including all of the careers that require a degree, or the vast array that specific 'life science degree'.

there is a whole universe of jobs between phd/teaching and a non-grad job that a motivated biomed grad can take up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RegisteredBMS
There are many non-biomed career paths post-degree, including all of the careers that require a degree, or the vast array that specific 'life science degree'.

Sure, you are correct that there are many non biomed career paths. But that’s like saying there are many career paths post A-level. Lets be honest it’s not really the best degree to have if you want to go into non-biology related posts or finance (like the OP wants). There would be far more relevant degrees to undertake for non biology related jobs ofcourse.

The market is saturated with biomed graduates unfortunately. So many of them just end up doing dead end jobs. The lack of training posts for the biomed related careers like the Scientist Training Programme or working as a BMS are absurdly competitive (which is a massive shame since we really need these these professions urgently). The number of stories you hear from biomed graduates like post number 9 above is worryingly high.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sure, you are correct that there are many non biomed career paths. But that’s like saying there are many career paths post A-level. Lets be honest it’s not really the best degree to have if you want to go into non-biology related posts or finance (like the OP wants). There would be far more relevant degrees to undertake for non biology related jobs ofcourse.

The market is saturated with biomed graduates unfortunately. So many of them just end up doing dead end jobs. The lack of training posts for the biomed related careers like the Scientist Training Programme or working as a BMS are absurdly competitive (which is a massive shame since we really need these these professions urgently). The number of stories you hear from biomed graduates like post number 9 above is worryingly high.

Can you give me a very clear explanation why biomed would not be ideal for career paths that don't require a specific degree? Like.. i don't know finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Can you give me a very clear explanation why biomed would not be ideal for career paths that don't require a specific degree? Like.. i don't know finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I simply stated that there are more relavant degrees to undertake for non bio related jobs. Not a particularly controversial or difficult concept to grasp?

If you want to work in finance (or accounting and finance) then an accounting and finance degree would be more appropriate and valuable in terms of knowledge, skills, contacts and exposure to the finance sector.
Sure, you CAN do a biomed degree then go into finance. But if you really want to go into finance it’s better to do a degree related to finance.
I simply stated that there are more relavant degrees to undertake for non bio related jobs. Not a particularly controversial or difficult concept to grasp?

If you want to work in finance (or accounting and finance) then an accounting and finance degree would be more appropriate and valuable in terms of knowledge, skills, contacts and exposure to the finance sector.
Sure, you CAN do a biomed degree then go into finance. But if you really want to go into finance it’s better to do a degree related to finance.

it's actually better to do a degree you find interesting and will do well in than to do a degree "related to finance".

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm always annoyed when the admissions/marketing team tells me that "the mass communication/biomedical sciences program is great, it teaches you all the basic skills you need to solve problems and opens doors to a range of jobs, blah blah blah." In other words, these types of degrees don't teach you anything, and you won't get a job.

Quick Reply