The Student Room Group

Just qualified as a pharmacist, AMA

Recently I received my results and I am happy to say I passed my pharmacy pre-reg exam with flying colours (got 91% :biggrin:). After 5 years of hard work, I can now call myself a pharmacist. I will be happy to answer any question you have.

Scroll to see replies

Are you going into community or hospital pharmacy? (or industry?) :smile:

Do you believe in the big pharma conspiracy?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
Are you going into community or hospital pharmacy? (or industry?) :smile:

Do you believe in the big pharma conspiracy?

I will be based mostly in community. Will also be looking to start some sort of business in the pharmacy sector.

As for pharma conspiracy, I don't believe them. Having said that, at the end of the day, they are companies looking for a profit, but I don't believe some claims people have that these companies are hiding cures for cancer etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Optimist
Recently I received my results and I am happy to say I passed my pharmacy pre-reg exam with flying colours (got 91% :biggrin:). After 5 years of hard work, I can now call myself a pharmacist. I will be happy to answer any question you have.

Hey, congratulations! You still planning on going through Graduate Entry Medicine.
Congratulations.
I've just received an offer to study MPharm at Manchester. Was just wondering what the pay is like once you graduate. Also, how does the pay differ if your at a community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy or if you own your own pharmacy chain?
Original post by Black Water
Hey, congratulations! You still planning on going through Graduate Entry Medicine.

Thank you :smile:

I am still thinking about it, but I have had many doctors try to convince me not to. If I do GEM, I will be hit financially, socially etc. For example, in the jobs I will be working in a few weeks (in GP surgery), I will be on £30-35 an hour. Now compare that to the salary of junior doctors. Obviously money is not everything and if I do GEM, it means I have other reasons to do it.

I want to develop my diagnostic capabilities. As a pharmacist, my pharmaceutical knowledge is above what other courses like medicine can give, but pharmacy did not train us well in the diagnosis department. This is where medicine comes in. I wish to also train as a doctor to gain those skills.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mansoor-123
Congratulations.
I've just received an offer to study MPharm at Manchester. Was just wondering what the pay is like once you graduate. Also, how does the pay differ if your at a community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy or if you own your own pharmacy chain?

Congrats on your offer. Well community pharmacy is in a bad state at the moment so pay is not that great. Hospital pharmacy is inially not great but there is a structured pathway for you to start earning more. If you want to stay in pharmacy, the independent prescribing (IP) route is the way forward. Working as an IP in places like clinics can seriously increase your earning potential. You're still early in your career, just enjoy university for now :smile:
Reply 7

I am still thinking about it, but I have had many doctors try to convince not to. If I do GEM, I will be hit financially, socially etc. For example, in the jobs I will be working in a few weeks (in GP surgery), I will be on £30-35. Now compare that to the salary of junior doctors. Obviously money is not everything and if I do GEM, it means I have other reasons to do it.

I want to develop my diagnostic capabilities. As a pharmacist, my pharmaceutical knowledge is above what other courses like medicine can give, but pharmacy did not train us well in the diagnosis department. This is where medicine comes in. I wish to also train as a doctor to gain those skills.

is pharmacy a good career to pursue?
Original post by simran__
is pharmacy a good career to pursue?

Things are in a bit of an uncertain state at the moment, especially in the community. But pharmacy as a whole is a still a great degree. But my advice to people is , make sure you're 100% or almost 100% that pharmacy is what you want before doing it. It is a very intense course and takes a minimum of 5 years before you can become a pharmacist.
Reply 9
Things are in a bit of an uncertain state at the moment, especially in the community. But pharmacy as a whole is a still a great degree. But my advice to people is , make sure you're 100% or almost 100% that pharmacy is what you want before doing it. It is a very intense course and takes a minimum of 5 years before you can become a pharmacist.

Do you think the current situation of pharmacy will improve in the coming years?

do you flap splits or put crosses on them?
what made you want to become a pharmacist?

I am still thinking about it, but I have had many doctors try to convince me not to. If I do GEM, I will be hit financially, socially etc. For example, in the jobs I will be working in a few weeks (in GP surgery), I will be on £30-35 an hour. Now compare that to the salary of junior doctors. Obviously money is not everything and if I do GEM, it means I have other reasons to do it.

So you're earning over 60k in your first year after uni?

Yeah, that's way better than medicine lol. I'm surprised pharmacy is so well-paid straight out of uni though.

£30-35 an hour??? Damn that's crazy, hopefully the pay stays like that for if I graduate in 4 years :redface:

What is GEM? What’s your job role called that your going into? What were your modules in each year? I heard that the pre reg exams are so hard, is it really awful? It’s worrying that they have made it so solid, and what happens if you can’t pass the exam? Like, how does the gphc exam work? What routes can you go into if you fail that exam?
Original post by claireestelle
do you flap splits or put crosses on them?

Hahaha! I tried to be hardcore during my pre-reg and do both but I was told off :biggrin:

Now I just flap flip :frown:
Hahaha! I tried to be hardcore during my pre-reg and do both but I was told off :biggrin:

Now I just flap flip :frown:

I'm not surprised they got annoyed with that:P
Original post by simran__
Do you think the current situation of pharmacy will improve in the coming years?

I am optimistic that it will improve. There are interesting developments on the horizon. Always stay positive.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
what made you want to become a pharmacist?

I always wanted to a healthcare professional. Around the time I wanted to start applying to uni, my mothers health deteriorated. I became a carer for her and I almost did not go to university at all just to focus on her, but I did not want that on her conscious so I decided to go to university. I knew I could not move out and my sister was studying pharmacy at that time, so I ended up to applying to pharmacy. I also had a strong interests in medicines so that help narrow the decisions. Medicine was not really an option as I probably would have to move out to study.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
So you're earning over 60k in your first year after uni?

Yeah, that's way better than medicine lol. I'm surprised pharmacy is so well-paid straight out of uni though.

Well that's the issue with pharmacy, you can start off getting paid decent but the progression is not as well as it in medicine, so you can have people that have been on same salary for many years. I was fortunate to get offered a job in a surgery so that's why my pay is better than most pharmacists.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest