The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DB is one of those politicians whose subsistence is entirely derived from racial issues. A bit like DL or DA, really.

Doesn’t Dawn Butler have anything better to do with her time?
No and we have to give it to her that it has taken her places within the party, even if being a woman helped too.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Andrew97
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45246009

What a load of crap

Doesn’t Dawn Butler have anything better to do with her time?

Absolute load of ballcrap. The whole concept of cultural appropriation is a load of rubbish.
If it doesn't have any jerk seasoning in it, why the hell is he calling it jerk rice? That's like me saying I'm making apple pie out of oranges 😂
'Jerk Rice' isn't a thing, though. Jamie Oliver just chucked the word on a recipe that contains two or three ingredients vaguely associated with jerk seasoning, to make it sound more 'exotic'.
Sadly this country is becoming more and more like the USA every day.

Do people think stories like this do anything to improve race relations?
Reply 6
How is it rubbish if it’s true. Jerk rice doesn’t exists in Jamaican culture so why does Jamie put his name on something so ridiculous, because he is uneducated so this is cultural appropriation and anyone even Dawn butler should have an oppinion even if she is an MP tbh
These are the same people who are all about multiculturalism and everyone joining together in harmony, but then in the same breath say if anyone takes on any aspects of anyone else's culture, it's 'cultural appropriation'. Although seems to only be an issue when it's a white person taking on cultural aspects of a non-white culture?

Just to add some wood to the discussion, why aren't people claiming cultural appropriation when the eastern world wears jeans; a product of the western world and culture?

The left needs to decide what they want! Do you want us all to mix together or do you want rigid, separate cultures?

Surely someone embracing your culture so much they want to include it in their lives, it's the ultimate compliment :P I say as long as you're not trying to be offensive and genuinely enjoying this cultural aspect, leave them be...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Leky100
How is it rubbish if it’s true. Jerk rice doesn’t exists in Jamaican culture so why does Jamie put his name on something so ridiculous, because he is uneducated so this is cultural appropriation and anyone even Dawn butler should have an oppinion even if she is an MP tbh

It's rubbish because it shouldn't even be a news story. Why do you think this is newsworthy?
Reply 9
Anything can be news worthy. It caused enough outrage and got the right attention. It’s an issue because it’s wrong in my opinion, taking someone’s culture, and getting it wrong for financial gain for themselves and not investing it back into the culture u got it from.
I wouldn't be surprised if she complained that Ainsley was sexualising Jamaican food when he gave that jerk chicken a good ol' rub. oh yeah boiii
Original post by Leky100
Anything can be news worthy. It caused enough outrage and got the right attention. It’s an issue because it’s wrong in my opinion, taking someone’s culture, and getting it wrong for financial gain for themselves and not investing it back into the culture u got it from.

Load of nonsense. Absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever. If you don't like it don't buy it.
Reply 12
That’s what I’m gonna do tho. I mean u can stay in ur own lane I guess and carry on thinking that people aren’t affected by other people actions because at the end of the day mr Oliver is selling something to the masses that isn’t authentic and then we’ll see how that affects how the majority see what jerk really is because it does have an affect on the public’s view other people’s cultures.
Reply 13
Do you mean rice-ipe :ahee:

I think he copped more sh*t for that time he made a paella with chorizo
(edited 5 years ago)
THIS. Why does that seem so difficult for some to comprehend ?
Original post by Leky100

I've never read anything so ridiculous, and I wonder how anyone could agree, so why your post has three reps as I write this is beyond me. You can make Jerk anything. We, as Brits, make our own versions of international dishes all the time. For example, according to famous Italian chef Gino D'Acampo, spaghetti bolognaise is a British dish, as nobody in Italy eats spaghetti bolognaise - if they're going to have bolognaise, they have it with tagliatelle. So, next time you eat spaghetti bolognaise, by your logic, you're guilty of cultural appropriation because you're eating a dish that you'd claim is Italian that the Italians don't even eat.
Original post by Leky100
That’s what I’m gonna do tho. I mean u can stay in ur own lane I guess and carry on thinking that people aren’t affected by other people actions because at the end of the day mr Oliver is selling something to the masses that isn’t authentic and then we’ll see how that affects how the majority see what jerk really is because it does have an affect on the public’s view other people’s cultures.

So? Do you know how many foods are sold in supermarkets that aren't authentic?
Reply 17
Might as well change it to British jerk then because there’s nothing Jamaican about that rice 😂
You're essentially promoting ethnic stereotypes and segregation by saying that certain races should act a certain way and wear and eat certain things.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I've never read anything so ridiculous, and I wonder how anyone could agree, so why your post has three reps as I write this is beyond me. You can make Jerk anything. We, as Brits, make our own versions of international dishes all the time. For example, according to famous Italian chef Gino D'Acampo, spaghetti bolognaise is a British dish, as nobody in Italy eats spaghetti bolognaise - if they're going to have bolognaise, they have it with tagliatelle. So, next time you eat spaghetti bolognaise, by your logic, you're guilty of cultural appropriation because you're eating a dish that you'd claim is Italian that the Italians don't even eat.

Agree with every word. And yeah I was gonna mention that dish and it's authenticity.

Latest

Trending

Trending