The Student Room Group

Alevel Business studies vs Physics

i’m just about to enter Alevels and im opting for Chemistry, Physics, Economics and business studies. i plan on doing a degree in business from Queen Marry or Kings College. i intend on dropping one subject later. which one should i drop? ps i’m not amazing at math (and i don’t have a mathematical mind) i can do good in it if i practice everyday so people are suggesting i shouldn’t keep physics however is economics and business together considered a good combo??
Reply 1
Economics and business is not normally considered a good combo for economic degrees, but it’s fine for business (I think). In my opinion, I’d say drop physics ( quite a hard a level to do without maths, especially in year 2 ). If you wanted variety between doing a science OR business degree, drop business.
Reply 2
if i take up sociology instead of physics will it still be considered a good combo?

(Original post by akpo)Economics and business is not normally considered a good combo for economic degrees, but it’s fine for business (I think). In my opinion, I’d say drop physics ( quite a hard a level to do without maths, especially in year 2 ). If you wanted variety between doing a science OR business degree, drop business.
Reply 3
Original post by mlshaai
if i take up sociology instead of physics will it still be considered a good combo?

You’d only have one facilitating subject if you do that, which is fine. But, can I ask why you intend on sitting four as levels? Three a levels is pretty much the requirement for all universities/equivalent. Majority of people who take sociology a level (tend to go upon a degree that is slightly related/(this is my opinion, may be wrong)). Overall, pick a levels your genuinely interested in, and will work hard to get a good grade in. It means nothing if your choices are “a good combo” because if you don’t enjoy them, you’ll be unbothered to revise the subjects.
Original post by mlshaai

(Original post by akpo)Economics and business is not normally considered a good combo for economic degrees, but it’s fine for business (I think). In my opinion, I’d say drop physics ( quite a hard a level to do without maths, especially in year 2 ). If you wanted variety between doing a science OR business degree, drop business.

Sociology and Business tend to be considered 'soft subjects.' They don't
look 'good.' More orthodox and well respected subjects would be Economics, Physics (and the other sciences), Psychology (kinda), Geography, History, Maths. Politics is in between, a semi-soft subject if you will

Some universities, if my memory serves me right, likewise do not accept an A-level combo of Business and Economics (so they'd only consider one of the two, and most such universities would completely ignore Business)

That's based on both: what I've read and what I've heard

You might want to email the admissions of the unis to see if you can squeeze out some info on their preference and view of subjects like Business Studies

Oh and Business absolutely does not require the same time investment as physics. If you've a mind for it you can get an A/A* with 3 days of studying (total) per paper
Reply 5
Original post by akpo
You’d only have one facilitating subject if you do that, which is fine. But, can I ask why you intend on sitting four as levels? Three a levels is pretty much the requirement for all universities/equivalent. Majority of people who take sociology a level (tend to go upon a degree that is slightly related/(this is my opinion, may be wrong)). Overall, pick a levels your genuinely interested in, and will work hard to get a good grade in. It means nothing if your choices are “a good combo” because if you don’t enjoy them, you’ll be unbothered to revise the subjects.

are school makes us take four in the beginning and allows us to drop one later but thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Caius Filimon
Sociology and Business tend to be considered 'soft subjects.' They don't
look 'good.' More orthodox and well respected subjects would be Economics, Physics (and the other sciences), Psychology (kinda), Geography, History, Maths. Politics is in between, a semi-soft subject if you will

Some universities, if my memory serves me right, likewise do not accept an A-level combo of Business and Economics (so they'd only consider one of the two, and most such universities would completely ignore Business)

That's based on both: what I've read and what I've heard

You might want to email the admissions of the unis to see if you can squeeze out some info on their preference and view of subjects like Business Studies

Oh and Business absolutely does not require the same time investment as physics. If you've a mind for it you can get an A/A* with 3 days of studying (total) per paper

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest