The Student Room Group

My Comprehensive Guide to the RAF CBAT

I have made a blog with far too much information about the RAF CBAT. It has information about what actually happens at Cranwell, and detailed write-ups about each test you will encounter.

My hope is to help as many people prepare for the test as possible.

Here's the blog! https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/ I hope it helps some of you, any questions or advice let me know.

And of course, the disclaimer: This is a guide for candidates who seek further information regarding the RAF CBAT. I took the test in Q1 of 2018 and successfully passed for several of the aptitude-based roles. Remember that this guide only gives my personal experiences and thoughts on the CBAT and should not be interpreted as fact. Tests, scores and any other information given here may have changed by the time you take your test. This guide is NOT a replacement document for the official Candidates CBAT guide provided by your local RAF AFCO; you should read the official information in detail in order to have a basic understanding of the tests, and most importantly to ensure that the information you have is accurate and up-to-date.

The information here may also be helpful to Royal Navy, British Army, RCAF and AAF/ADF Pilot applicants as all of these services use the same or similar tests to the RAF CBAT.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just saw this quickly before bed, thanks for taking the time to make this! I've just had a very quick skim over the site and it definitely explains the tests a lot better than the RAF document does which is helpful! I'll definitely check it out fully tomorrow morning
Reply 2
Original post by dannyoboy007
Just saw this quickly before bed, thanks for taking the time to make this! I've just had a very quick skim over the site and it definitely explains the tests a lot better than the RAF document does which is helpful! I'll definitely check it out fully tomorrow morning

Thanks very much for looking at it, glad to know my two days of writing actually might help someone, haha. If you have any questions that I haven't answered in the blog then let me know. Good luck with your test!
Reply 3

Deciphering the RAF document is the first aptitude test.
Reply 4
Original post by NFI
Deciphering the RAF document is the first aptitude test.

Turning up to the right place at the right time is the first planning exercise, as well.

(And we're not even joking...)
Original post by vodapo
I have made a blog with far too much information about the RAF CBAT. It has information about what actually happens at Cranwell, and detailed write-ups about each test you will encounter.

My hope is to help as many people prepare for the test as possible.

Here's the blog! https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/ I hope it helps some of you, any questions or advice let me know.

I can also upload this as a huge 25 page PDF if preferred.

And of course, the disclaimer: This is a guide for candidates who seek further information regarding the RAF CBAT. I took the test in Q1 of 2018 and successfully passed for several of the aptitude-based roles. Remember that this guide only gives my personal experiences and thoughts on the CBAT and should not be interpreted as fact. Tests, scores and any other information given here may have changed by the time you take your test. This guide is NOT a replacement document for the official Candidates CBAT guide provided by your local RAF AFCO; you should read the official information in detail in order to have a basic understanding of the tests, and most importantly to ensure that the information you have is accurate and up-to-date.

This is bloody brilliant. Good work.
Reply 6
Original post by 0902
This is bloody brilliant. Good work.

Thanks, good luck if you've got a CBAT coming up!
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
Turning up to the right place at the right time is the first planning exercise, as well.

(And we're not even joking...)

People maxed out opening the gate to cross the road going from candidates mess to the test centre.
Reply 8
Original post by NFI
People maxed out opening the gate to cross the road going from candidates mess to the test centre.

Sweet memories :moon:
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Sweet memories :moon:

Six months on EFT watching candidates going through the same struggle on a weekly basis was sweet, sweet schadenfreude.
Original post by NFI
Six months on EFT watching candidates going through the same struggle on a weekly basis was sweet, sweet schadenfreude.

😂😂
Just got back from my CBAT, been a very long day indeed but pleased to say I passed! I'm applying for pilot and got a borderline pass, so not a competitive score unfortunately (although the reviewing officer made no mention of a competitive score to me), but still happy. However, I definitely wasn't expecting to pass, especially since I thought I did very badly on the CLAN (I pressed a few wrong buttons/missed a few), so I got a bit disheartened after that and tried less because I thought I failed - so don't make this mistake!

If anybody would like to ask me about the experience or day whilst it's still fresh in my mind, feel free!
Reply 12
Just got back from my CBAT, been a very long day indeed but pleased to say I passed! I'm applying for pilot and got a borderline pass, so not a competitive score unfortunately (although the reviewing officer made no mention of a competitive score to me), but still happy. However, I definitely wasn't expecting to pass, especially since I thought I did very badly on the CLAN (I pressed a few wrong buttons/missed a few), so I got a bit disheartened after that and tried less because I thought I failed - so don't make this mistake!

If anybody would like to ask me about the experience or day whilst it's still fresh in my mind, feel free!

Well done for not losing the mental game - I know I had a few tests which had me considering giving up. But you've got to be in it to win it, haha.

Don't worry about not having the highest score. You can impress in the interview and at OASC. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Reply 13
Dannyoboy007 how long was the CBAT and is the test same for every trade or different for depending on the trade that someone is applying for ?
Original post by vodapo
Well done for not losing the mental game - I know I had a few tests which had me considering giving up. But you've got to be in it to win it, haha.

Don't worry about not having the highest score. You can impress in the interview and at OASC. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Thanks, I was very very close to asking if I could leave during lunch, I felt awful! I knew I did badly on a test that I needed which didn't help at all, and I think in this respect if you do too much research and work into the CBAT it can actually hinder you I suppose? You'll end up fixated on scores and which tests you need to do particularly better on. Keep your cool.

And that's exactly what I intend to do hopefully!

Original post by grg007
Dannyoboy007 how long was the CBAT and is the test same for every trade or different for depending on the trade that someone is applying for ?

I started just after 7 and finished sometime during 4pm if I remember correctly, so a very long day. I think there was a couple of people who were sitting a shorter version of the CBAT (I forgot to the reason, maybe they were already in the service or they were slightly older and applying for a different branch). However the majority of people sit the same batch of tests regardless of their chosen trades, because if you do better they may suggest you apply for an additional trade, and vice versa if you do worse than predicted.
Hey, could you PM me pdf?☺️
Reply 16
Thanks, I was very very close to asking if I could leave during lunch, I felt awful! I knew I did badly on a test that I needed which didn't help at all, and I think in this respect if you do too much research and work into the CBAT it can actually hinder you I suppose? You'll end up fixated on scores and which tests you need to do particularly better on. Keep your cool.

And that's exactly what I intend to do hopefully!

I started just after 7 and finished sometime during 4pm if I remember correctly, so a very long day. I think there was a couple of people who were sitting a shorter version of the CBAT (I forgot to the reason, maybe they were already in the service or they were slightly older and applying for a different branch). However the majority of people sit the same batch of tests regardless of their chosen trades, because if you do better they may suggest you apply for an additional trade, and vice versa if you do worse than predicted.

Thank you very much for the info.
Anyone got a CBAT coming up on the 24th September 2018?
Reply 18
Original post by devattwell
Hey, could you PM me pdf?☺️

Hi, sorry I didn't see this until now. Please could you PM me your email address and I will send you the PDF
Thanks Vodapo, it won’t let me PM you. my email is [Mod edit - please do not post email addresses on the site]

Quick Reply

Latest