The Student Room Group

How do i learn Korean?

First lemme just say im addicted to everything to do with Korea. The culture, history, scenery and entertainment. I find Korea as one of the countries i would moe to in a heartbeat if i had the money to. But i have a bugging annoying problem. I can not speak or even understand korean!

i watch these thing and two second later it leaves my mind. I also have the attention span of a three year old. So everytime ive wanted to learn korean it goes down the drain. And im not exactly as clever as Namjoon who became fluent off watching Friends and as soon as i look at Hangul Characters i give up because it doesn't even get into my head. It used to be easy for me to remember stuff like that having learnt Japanese in the past however they are not similar at all. Sometimes i just wanna give up and not even bother, but why would i do that to a country i love learning about. Does anyone have any methods of learning Korean or any tips and stuff? Most appreciated x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
weeb spotted
LMAO, pay for professional classes?
Damn, I love anime but I don't really care for Japanese culture. I can't imagine being addicted to a country XD
Reply 3
Original post by Taz554:-)
First lemme just say im addicted to everything to do with Korea. The culture, history, scenery and entertainment. I find Korea as one of the countries i would moe to in a heartbeat if i had the money to. But i have a bugging annoying problem. I can not speak or even understand korean!

i watch these thing and two second later it leaves my mind. I also have the attention span of a three year old. So everytime ive wanted to learn korean it goes down the drain. And im not exactly as clever as Namjoon who became fluent off watching Friends and as soon as i look at Hangul Characters i give up because it doesn't even get into my head. It used to be easy for me to remember stuff like that having learnt Japanese in the past however they are not similar at all. Sometimes i just wanna give up and not even bother, but why would i do that to a country i love learning about. Does anyone have any methods of learning Korean or any tips and stuff? Most appreciated x

Get a tutor.

Or buy books and revise. Learning a language should be normal like how we learnt english. Theres no right or wrong just do until you can speak comfortably. And theres some international chat apps on appstore where u can talk to others who know the language you’re learning and they want to learn your main language. Forgot what the apps called. 😂

I’m also currently learning korean and viet to benefit my self for when i travel to asia for a holiday, and to communicate with some family back there. If you want to learn the language no ones stopping you its just you. But i talk to my mates sometimes in another language so the words stick, even tho they dont have a clue what im saying but they figure it out, lmao. I have books and revise/learn from them alongside ill watch yt vids/shows with subtitles to keep it fresh.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Thumbed up just from your profile pic.
Hmm I'd say if you can't force yourself to do it alone, then you should actually hire a tutor, or a friend. That way you have a set class to go to and "homework". If you go to a university they do language classes there, or in your city as well. If you really want to commit, then moving to Korea isn't a bad option :smile: you'll pick up Korean in no time but it can be hard I heard.
Just drop a pan from a flight of stairs and repeat the sound it makes.
Reply 6
Original post by PetrolHead26
Just drop a pan from a flight of stairs and repeat the sound it makes.

woooow!
Reply 7
Get a tutor and watch bts music videos with english subtitles ya koreaboo
Reply 8
Original post by Zasty
Get a tutor and watch bts music videos with english subtitles ya koreaboo

shhh i know i am :smile:. i do that on a daily basis
Reply 9
Original post by Satori Tendō
LMAO, pay for professional classes?
Damn, I love anime but I don't really care for Japanese culture. I can't imagine being addicted to a country XD

Ive asked my parents and they said i can if i find one. But i study spanish and i hate listening but due to me anting to learn i would actually commit myself to it thank you
Reply 10
Original post by JXN
Get a tutor.

Or buy books and revise. Learning a language should be normal like how we learnt english. Theres no right or wrong just do until you can speak comfortably. And theres some international chat apps on appstore where u can talk to others who know the language you’re learning and they want to learn your main language. Forgot what the apps called. 😂

I’m also currently learning korean and viet to benefit my self for when i travel to asia for a holiday, and to communicate with some family back there. If you want to learn the language no ones stopping you its just you. But i talk to my mates sometimes in another language so the words stick, even tho they dont have a clue what im saying but they figure it out, lmao. I have books and revise/learn from them alongside ill watch yt vids/shows with subtitles to keep it fresh.

Thank you so much! i Heard of the international chat apps but knowing me i probably forgot ill dive into that soon. Thats really true i just need to commit myself i also have a friend who is obsessed like me and is learning korean but she picks up stuff faster ill ask for her support in the future. Thank you once again!
Reply 11
Original post by amywhy
Thumbed up just from your profile pic.
Hmm I'd say if you can't force yourself to do it alone, then you should actually hire a tutor, or a friend. That way you have a set class to go to and "homework". If you go to a university they do language classes there, or in your city as well. If you really want to commit, then moving to Korea isn't a bad option :smile: you'll pick up Korean in no time but it can be hard I heard.

im actually planning to move to korea in the future but not look stupid by just knowing how to say anneyong. I know my pp is ace isnt it, Kookie meme face :smile:. I have a friend who is also learning so it would be helpful for us to work together. I have also heard its one of the most complex but imma put my head to it thank you!
If you can't afford a tutor, do most of your studying in a library at first. The reason for this, is because there's very little to distract you, especially considering you wont have wifi for your phone. Either learn hangul by reading it a lot, or by writing it out loads (if you learnt hiragana and katakana, just do the same thing)
I'd recommend Memrise for learning vocab, and to put Korean in your everyday life (put your phone settings in Korean, try to think in Korean, label random things in your house in their Korean word), immersion is the best language learning tactic, and if you can't live in Korea rn, those are the ways to get around it
You could also sign up for a language school in Korea when you've left college

What do you see with your future and Korea anyway? Do you want to go to uni there, live there, or just visit when you can?
Korean teacher.
Podcasts
Books
Videos
And for the characters - one at a time. And sit down and write them carefully.

Luckily Korean is an alphabet script, like Latin. So there is a limited number of characters, not tens of thousands like in Chinese.
Reply 14
Original post by doodlegg
If you can't afford a tutor, do most of your studying in a library at first. The reason for this, is because there's very little to distract you, especially considering you wont have wifi for your phone. Either learn hangul by reading it a lot, or by writing it out loads (if you learnt hiragana and katakana, just do the same thing)
I'd recommend Memrise for learning vocab, and to put Korean in your everyday life (put your phone settings in Korean, try to think in Korean, label random things in your house in their Korean word), immersion is the best language learning tactic, and if you can't live in Korea rn, those are the ways to get around it
You could also sign up for a language school in Korea when you've left college

What do you see with your future and Korea anyway? Do you want to go to uni there, live there, or just visit when you can?

Thank you so much! i feel like it could be a good idea to start learning independently in a library because i have toooo many distractions and i can leave stuff like my phone at home and study. I do find it quite easier visually so i draw out things that look like the letters. Those are all really good methods and ill try to implement them soon! Really, i want to move to korea and possibly go to uni there and live there. I see my future in Korea i plan to work in Korea or visit in the near future. Thats why i find so integral for me to learn korean because i want to be able to integrate and live there well, as a Korean even though im not stuff like making Korean friends and taking korean is just so cool in my opinion . Thank you so much for your really helpful reply!
Thank you so much! i feel like it could be a good idea to start learning independently in a library because i have toooo many distractions and i can leave stuff like my phone at home and study. I do find it quite easier visually so i draw out things that look like the letters. Those are all really good methods and ill try to implement them soon! Really, i want to move to korea and possibly go to uni there and live there. I see my future in Korea i plan to work in Korea or visit in the near future. Thats why i find so integral for me to learn korean because i want to be able to integrate and live there well, as a Korean even though im not stuff like making Korean friends and taking korean is just so cool in my opinion . Thank you so much for your really helpful reply!

No problem! If you're considering uni, look at the universities they have and what course you might want to take (I don't know what it's like in Korea, but in Tokyo University, they have courses you can take that are in English), it's good to be aware of deadlines and such as early as you can, the Korean education system is probably different to ours. Any ideas for what job you want?
Also another good way to study is by using Duolingo, but rather than learning Korean, learn English on their Korean website, I promise you it is much more useful. You write in Korean loads, and get to test out what ways you can write sentences and they have them still make sense
Reply 16
Original post by gweilo100
Korean teacher.
Podcasts
Books
Videos
And for the characters - one at a time. And sit down and write them carefully.

Luckily Korean is an alphabet script, like Latin. So there is a limited number of characters, not tens of thousands like in Chinese.

Thank you! ill definitely use those methods in the future while learning. And yes that's the best bit about hangul its not loads and loads of characters but consonants and vowels and double consonants.
Watch a load of Korean Dramas so you pick up the basics. Use KissAsian, it's a good website and they have loads of dramas. Also, ARMY? :wink: Suga's my bias xD
Thank you! ill definitely use those methods in the future while learning. And yes that's the best bit about hangul its not loads and loads of characters but consonants and vowels and double consonants.

Travel to North Korea, break a law and get put into a labour camp.

You'll soon pick up what they are shouting at you.
HelloTalk and HiNative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending