The Student Room Group

Oxford Colleges

hi so i've been looking at all the different oxford colleges available for the course i want to do (maths) and i've got a few in mind but i really wanted some first hand views (preferably within the last couple of years) on them so yeah :smile: the top ones i have are: Worcester, Christ Church, St John's, Magdalen, Univ, Wadham, Jesus, Balliol and Trinity (this is purely based on a website that gives you like options and stuff and recommends colleges so please suggest any others). to give you a bit of information, i'm planning on studying maths and i currently go to a state school. i would want the college to be lgbt friendly (not like over the top but friendly enough so it wouldnt be a problem if i were gay) and also not racist or sexist or anything like that(obviously as oxford is a very traditional uni you can't help but hear negative things to do with stuff like this). if you could just kinda post your views on like social things, how accessible things are etc for whichever one you attend/ed. thank you so much
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for your post. tbh, we can't think of a college where you would not be welcome.

https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1764-brasenose-flies-the-rainbow-flag
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/current-students/welfare-support/welfare (click on the transgender and gender equality link)
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/current-students/welfare-support/welfare (see the diversity & equality JCR rep)
Reply 2
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thanks for your post. tbh, we can't think of a college where you would not be welcome.

https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1764-brasenose-flies-the-rainbow-flag
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/current-students/welfare-support/welfare (click on the transgender and gender equality link)
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/current-students/welfare-support/welfare (see the diversity & equality JCR rep)

thank you! i've still got what 4 years before i actually apply to university but what's the harm in looking into the future! is Brasenose sports driven at all? I absolutely love playing all types of sports and wouldn't want to give it up if i do end up going to oxford!
Worcester is quite sports driven from what I’ve heard
Original post by dreweloise
thank you! i've still got what 4 years before i actually apply to university but what's the harm in looking into the future! is Brasenose sports driven at all? I absolutely love playing all types of sports and wouldn't want to give it up if i do end up going to oxford!

Yes, our students do quite a few sports (rowing, netball, football, lacrosse, athletics, rugby, ultimate frisbee, sailing, tennis, hockey, swimming, trampolining, badminton, squash ... to name a few).
hi so i've been looking at all the different oxford colleges available for the course i want to do (maths) and i've got a few in mind but i really wanted some first hand views (preferably within the last couple of years) on them so yeah :smile: the top ones i have are: Worcester, Christ Church, St John's, Magdalen, Univ, Wadham, Jesus, Balliol and Trinity (this is purely based on a website that gives you like options and stuff and recommends colleges so please suggest any others). to give you a bit of information, i'm planning on studying maths and i currently go to a state school. i would want the college to be lgbt friendly (not like over the top but friendly enough so it wouldnt be a problem if i were gay) and also not racist or sexist or anything like that(obviously as oxford is a very traditional uni you can't help but hear negative things to do with stuff like this). if you could just kinda post your views on like social things, how accessible things are etc for whichever one you attend/ed. thank you so much

Hello, glad you’re thinking of applying to Oxford! I’m a current student at St Hugh’s College and will try and help:

As BrasenoseAdm says, there is no college where you would not be welcome. I’m not lgbt myself but have noticed at my college how many opportunities there are for lgbtq involvement. Our college has an lgbt rep and the Universify LGBT society hosts many drinks and meet ups.

From what I can tell, nearly all oxford students are aware of all the traditional negative things and make a huge effort to overturn them. I have witnessed no racism and sexism since joining my college. I can’t imagine it is different at any other colleges!!

The best way to choose a college is to try and visit an oxford open day if it is possible. College choice should come down to your personal preference, and sometimes a college that “feels right” is the one to go for. The next open day is in September I believe.

Here’s my observations about the colleges you listed:

Worcester: Very active with sports. A large college site with playing fields and a duck pond. Accommodation for all years of your course.

Christ Church: A lovely old college situated next to the meadows and the river, handy if you decide to take up rowing! Accommodation for all years of your course.

St John's: A pleasant vibe, with some old areas but also an impressive modern area with a great bar and games room. Accommodation for all years of your course. Close to the maths faculty.

Magdalen: A striking college on the High Street. Has a large deer park and impressive facilities. Accommodation for all years of your course.

Univ: A traditional old college on the High Street. A friend there says it’s very welcoming. I can recommend the college bar - it has its own ale!

Wadham: Some people say this college is very LGBT friendly and radical, I can’t see how it is more friendly than the others to be honest. It does hold the annual Queerfest though. An old college with a lovely dining hall but impressive modern accommodation as well.

Jesus: Probably the college I would apply to if I had to pick a different one. An old, cozy, friendly college on the pretty Turl Street, with a large sporting ethos. Accommodation is provided in college annexes for the whole course.

Balliol: A popular college and rightly so: has a very active student body who put on events throughout term. A well-stocked student run bar. Students seem to have a great social life. College is old and pretty.

Trinity: Famous for its large grass lawn - many a student can be seen relaxing on it in the summer. The college is old and friendly from what I’ve heard from several students there.
Original post by CycloneChilli
Hello, glad you’re thinking of applying to Oxford! I’m a current student at St Hugh’s College and will try and help:

As BrasenoseAdm says, there is no college where you would not be welcome. I’m not lgbt myself but have noticed at my college how many opportunities there are for lgbtq involvement. Our college has an lgbt rep and the Universify LGBT society hosts many drinks and meet ups.

From what I can tell, nearly all oxford students are aware of all the traditional negative things and make a huge effort to overturn them. I have witnessed no racism and sexism since joining my college. I can’t imagine it is different at any other colleges!!

The best way to choose a college is to try and visit an oxford open day if it is possible. College choice should come down to your personal preference, and sometimes a college that “feels right” is the one to go for. The next open day is in September I believe.

Worcester: Very active with sports. A large college site with playing fields and a duck pond. Accommodation for all years of your course.

Christ Church: A lovely old college situated next to the meadows and the river, handy if you decide to take up rowing! Accommodation for all years of your course.

St John's: A pleasant vibe, with some old areas but also an impressive modern area with a great bar and games room. Accommodation for all years of your course. Close to the maths faculty.

Magdalen: A striking college on the High Street. Has a large deer park and impressive facilities. Accommodation for all years of your course.

Univ: A traditional old college on the High Street. A friend there says it’s very welcoming. I can recommend the college bar - it has its own ale!

Wadham: Some people say this college is very LGBT friendly and radical, I can’t see how it is more friendly than the others to be honest. It does hold the annual Queerfest though. An old college with a lovely dining hall but impressive modern accommodation as well.

Jesus: Probably the college I would apply to if I had to pick a different one. An old, cozy, friendly college on the pretty Turl Street, with a large sporting ethos. Accommodation is provided in college annexes for the whole course.

Balliol: A popular college and rightly so: has a very active student body who put on events throughout term. A well-stocked student run bar. Students seem to have a great social life. College is old and pretty.

Trinity: Famous for its large grass lawn - many a student can be seen relaxing on it in the summer. The college is old and friendly from what I’ve heard from several students there.

This reply is so useful, thank you so much! If I apply to Oxford St Hugh's would be my college preference as from the admissions statistics it seems as if it would be quite a 'normal' and 'friendly' college so to hear you clarify that is really nice. What course do you do? I know many people comment that St Hugh's is 'too far out' but I much prefer the idea of not being in the hustle and bustle of the city centre. Do you walk or bike from St Hugh's to your department?
Reply 7
Original post by mathsstruggler9
This reply is so useful, thank you so much! If I apply to Oxford St Hugh's would be my college preference as from the admissions statistics it seems as if it would be quite a 'normal' and 'friendly' college so to hear you clarify that is really nice. What course do you do? I know many people comment that St Hugh's is 'too far out' but I much prefer the idea of not being in the hustle and bustle of the city centre. Do you walk or bike from St Hugh's to your department?

St Hugh's really isn't that "far out" in the grand scheme of things - people tend to view it as being a long way out of the city because the city centre itself is so compact, which warps your perspective of distance a bit. I would definitely recommend cycling to the city centre rather than walking, but it's still relatively easy to get there.
Thank you so much for the cycling recommendation, I doubt I would ever get an interview opportunity or an offer but it is useful to know :smile: In your experience how is the accommodation at St Hugh's?
(edited 5 years ago)

Glad you found it helpful. I completely agree with Beth_H about the compact city centre changing perspectives! It’s about a 20 min walk to the centre but if you cycle it takes just 5, so getting a bike is 100% worth it. I study engineering science and cycle to the department which takes 3 mins!! The maths faculty is a similar short distance.
Thank you so much for the cycling recommendation, I doubt I would ever get an interview opportunity or an offer but it is useful to know :smile: In your experience how is the accommodation at St Hugh's?

You get accommodation for all years of your course on the main college site - this lets you really get to know people and make friends throughout your time there. It might have changed, but in 1st year you get put in Main Building (the oldest building on college, quite nice inside) Kenton Building (the obligatory 1960s block, but great facilities) or Maplethorpe (the new and very comfortable building).

After that, accommodation for subsequent years is done in a room ballot system. You can ballot with your friends as a group, or individually. All rooms I’ve stayed in have been lovely, with wonderful views over the lawns of the college.

From your obversations, which one would you choose between Trinity and Worcester (if you had to pick one)?

They both look incredible, but which one do you think sticks out more?

[this is to everyone]
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
From your obversations, which one would you choose between Trinity and Worcester (if you had to pick one)?

They both look incredible, but which one do you think sticks out more?

[this is to everyone]

i don't go to oxford (this much is probably obvious from the fact i started this thread aha) but from what i've seen, they're both fantastic however i definetly prefer worcester. it seems very friendly, the grounds are amazing an d it just has a very 'homely' vibe from what i've seen (both on the website and what people have said). the only thing that would put me off is that it's slightly more expensive than others and it's often very oversubscribed so the chances at getting in are less than others and personally, i'd rather apply to a college i liked and have a high chance at getting in than applying somewhere and then being disappointed if i got put into a college that just has spaces (although you won't have a chance unless you do apply so :/). i'd really recommend looking at the alternative prospectus' for them both and also looking on here or other websites for peoples actual opinions rather than places just trying to 'sell' you their college.
i don't go to oxford (this much is probably obvious from the fact i started this thread aha) but from what i've seen, they're both fantastic however i definetly prefer worcester. it seems very friendly, the grounds are amazing an d it just has a very 'homely' vibe from what i've seen (both on the website and what people have said). the only thing that would put me off is that it's slightly more expensive than others and it's often very oversubscribed so the chances at getting in are less than others and personally, i'd rather apply to a college i liked and have a high chance at getting in than applying somewhere and then being disappointed if i got put into a college that just has spaces (although you won't have a chance unless you do apply so :/). i'd really recommend looking at the alternative prospectus' for them both and also looking on here or other websites for peoples actual opinions rather than places just trying to 'sell' you their college.

That is true.

I agree that Worcester looks incredible. Many videos and articles sing Worcester’s praise. The College (and grounds) looks incredible.

i was interested in knowing oxford students’ opinions because (like you wrote) most people try to sell their college or go by stereotypes.

It would be great to know what Oxford people and others think of both.
Glad you found it helpful. I completely agree with Beth_H about the compact city centre changing perspectives! It’s about a 20 min walk to the centre but if you cycle it takes just 5, so getting a bike is 100% worth it. I study engineering science and cycle to the department which takes 3 mins!! The maths faculty is a similar short distance.

You get accommodation for all years of your course on the main college site - this lets you really get to know people and make friends throughout your time there. It might have changed, but in 1st year you get put in Main Building (the oldest building on college, quite nice inside) Kenton Building (the obligatory 1960s block, but great facilities) or Maplethorpe (the new and very comfortable building).

After that, accommodation for subsequent years is done in a room ballot system. You can ballot with your friends as a group, or individually. All rooms I’ve stayed in have been lovely, with wonderful views over the lawns of the college.

Thank you so much for all the information :smile:
Reply 14
hi,

I am planning to apply for law in Oxford. I am international student. Is there any particular college that is better if I apply Law interms of location to the faculty? And is there any college that has more Law International studenet?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending