The Student Room Group

Revision

I'm sitting my GCSEs next year any effective revision techniques that you could recommend?
Original post by Zay Nah
I'm sitting my GCSEs next year any effective revision techniques that you could recommend?

What subjects are you doing? :smile:
Hiya so here is what I would recommend, summarise and compact.
Get everything you need to know in one place.
I did "bible books" where I would have the entire subject in one book, i.e all of history or all of science. These take hours so only do these if you're prepared to finish them as they are useless half done.

Other wise summary sheets are good - either on an A3 sheet of paper on A4 (I tend to use powerpoint or photoshop as I can't write) and put everything for that topic on the sheet. I.e plants in biology would have it's own sheet. There will be several of these for each subject but they are really helpful. I would have two copies of each, one in my book and one on my wall.

Another really good method is flashcards. Either make your own paper ones or use someone else's ones on Quizlet (especially in languages/science) do them everyday and you will learn everything you need to.

I also like the splurge method, especially with mind maps. Write everything you can remember about a topic in pen on a sheet of A4 paper without looking at any notes then look at your notes and add missing parts with a different coloured pen. Write the topic in the middle and you have a mind map of the topic showing what you know and don't know. I did this everyday for about 2 weeks leading up to my english exams and led me to learn so many quotes.

I wouldn't start looking at content until christmas but once you get to Easter put your heart into it. I worked solidly from Easter onwards and that is what got me my grades rather than my work previously. Also revision guides are super helpful :smile:

Coral xx
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword
What subjects are you doing? :smile:

Triple science
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies

What are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by coralkathleen
Hiya so here is what I would recommend, summarise and compact.
Get everything you need to know in one place.
I did "bible books" where I would have the entire subject in one book, i.e all of history or all of science. These take hours so only do these if you're prepared to finish them as they are useless half done.

Other wise summary sheets are good - either on an A3 sheet of paper on A4 (I tend to use powerpoint or photoshop as I can't write) and put everything for that topic on the sheet. I.e plants in biology would have it's own sheet. There will be several of these for each subject but they are really helpful. I would have two copies of each, one in my book and one on my wall.

Another really good method is flashcards. Either make your own paper ones or use someone else's ones on Quizlet (especially in languages/science) do them everyday and you will learn everything you need to.

I also like the splurge method, especially with mind maps. Write everything you can remember about a topic in pen on a sheet of A4 paper without looking at any notes then look at your notes and add missing parts with a different coloured pen. Write the topic in the middle and you have a mind map of the topic showing what you know and don't know. I did this everyday for about 2 weeks leading up to my english exams and led me to learn so many quotes.

I wouldn't start looking at content until christmas but once you get to Easter put your heart into it. I worked solidly from Easter onwards and that is what got me my grades rather than my work previously. Also revision guides are super helpful :smile:

Coral xx

Thank you so much x
Original post by Zay Nah
Triple science
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies

What are you doing?

Giant mind map station; using poundland pedagogy inspired table clothes for students to create a giant on going map of the topic. Borrowed from @aegilopoides.

Paper chain station; Students create a paper chain, but each link must have a key word and explaination as to how it linked to the previous link. See here. for more details.

Word association maps- Fill the page with as many linking words and concepts as possible. Each group starts a fresh. The group with the most, and that can justify links wins. These should be quick and scruffy.

Pictionary station; a stack of cards on key words and mini white boards for part; student with the white board selects a card and attempts to communicate the key word to thier partner using only pictures on the mini white board.

Bunting: Stundents create a flag to summaries an answer to a question or topic. These can then be strung up and displayed. See here for more details.

Physics calculations station; worksheet, calculators and equation sheets poised

Past exam questions station; self explanatory!

Give me five; draw round your hand and find 5 facts about the topic no one else has written, one fact for each finger.

Post box lottery; 15 q quick quiz. Student s"post" answers into box. Randomly select one at the end to win prize.

Come dine with me; Create a summary for a specific topic on a paper plate. See here for more details.

Scrabble; writing keywords with scrabble and definitions around them on the table in white board pens.

Annotate; Students are given a variety of picture taken from exam questions. The must annotate around the pictures with as much information as they can.

Write exam q's; Again students are give pictures from exam papers a prompts.This time they use the pictures to write questions and a mark scheme that might accompany the pictures in an exam. You could provide students with a blooms style questioning progression to ensure they are varying the demand of the questions.

Original post by Zay Nah
Triple science
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies

What are you doing?

http://www.eduqas.co.uk/subjects/science/
maths made easy for triple questions
write essay on every type of question for spanish
make casestudy notes/answer questions for geography
also use TES for resources
(edited 5 years ago)