The Student Room Group

the official gcse advice thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachellouise21
This is such a good idea! name - rachel going into - yr 11 advice for yr 10 - its honestly fine, do not stress, make sure you do notes and revision for the end of unit tests so that for your yr 10 mocks you have all of it ready and you just have to look over it (wish i had done that) need advice for - how to revise, really how i dont even know where to start, do i have to make notes for every subject and are there some techniques (flash cards, mind maps ect) that work better for specific subjects (in particular the 3 sciences, history, comp sci and spanish), when do i start revising for mocks (mine are in Nov), and anything I need to look out for/ prepare for. :smile:

great advice!
i’m not year 11 i’m same year as you but in terms of revision, note taking isn’t always the most effective although it can be something you choose to do.

scientifically proven good technique include recalling facts, spacing out you revision and repeating it, and doing exam questions.

mindmaps are good but from memory!!

for me i follow a learn, consolidate and apply method so i learn it by taking notes or testing myself, then consolidate on this website called seneca learning, then apply my knowledge to exam questions which is absolutely the most important because then you know what the exam is like!

quizlet is great for spanish or if your school uses memrise then memrise is excellent! i make notes on history based on spec then do practise questions, don’t do comp sci, and science i just follow that pattern of L,C,A

i’m still testing out all of these methods though - need to find a perfect combination of revision because i like making notes and i don’t really know how to learn it otherwise oops haha
Original post by clouddbubbles
great advice!
i’m not year 11 i’m same year as you but in terms of revision, note taking isn’t always the most effective although it can be something you choose to do.

scientifically proven good technique include recalling facts, spacing out you revision and repeating it, and doing exam questions.

mindmaps are good but from memory!!

for me i follow a learn, consolidate and apply method so i learn it by taking notes or testing myself, then consolidate on this website called seneca learning, then apply my knowledge to exam questions which is absolutely the most important because then you know what the exam is like!

quizlet is great for spanish or if your school uses memrise then memrise is excellent! i make notes on history based on spec then do practise questions, don’t do comp sci, and science i just follow that pattern of L,C,A

i’m still testing out all of these methods though - need to find a perfect combination of revision because i like making notes and i don’t really know how to learn it otherwise oops haha

ahaha yea ik notes aren't that effictive but im also trying out different methods, thank you will defintely try ur LCA techqnique, sounds really good :smile:
Original post by rachellouise21
ahaha yea ik notes aren't that effictive but im also trying out different methods, thank you will defintely try ur LCA techqnique, sounds really good :smile:

yeah see if it works, i think it’s a cool method but probably need to tweak it a bit :wink:

AND I CANT HELP WRITING NOTES AHH!!! :O
just bumping this again as i know a few people are currently asking advice questions :laugh:
nickname: Azzy :smile:
year: 10
some advice you have for the year below :
So for all you year 9's, this year is to stay stress free but also more of a time to find out which subjects you like (and dont) and enjoy them!
some advice you want from other people :
how to stay on top of things and make effective notes, plus what kind of organisational methods did u use for all your work and any useful tips! :fluffy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending