The Student Room Group

SS Guard Deported

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-45257251

The guys 95...I feel like this is wrong...Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

these SS *******s murdered plenty of elderly people as well as children. they should be shown no mercy.
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
these SS *******s murdered plenty of elderly people as well as children. they should be shown no mercy.

I get that, but they were following orders. He’s just so old, not like he will be around much longer. There was an old lady in the UK not too long ago that was caught as a Russian spy in like the Cold War, but she was so old they didn’t press it, they just told her they knew.
Original post by AFTADBO
I get that, but they were following orders. He’s just so old, not like he will be around much longer. There was an old lady in the UK not too long ago that was caught as a Russian spy in like the Cold War, but she was so old they didn’t press it, they just told her they knew.

The SS was an ideologically motivated elite Nazi organisation. They were not the regular German army and this guy wasn't just an ordinary soldier. "Just following orders" doesn't quite cut it here.
Original post by AFTADBO

being punished will bring relief to this sinner; it will help atone for the great wrong perpetrated by the Germans not so long ago.
Original post by AFTADBO
I get that, but they were following orders.

That's not an excuse. Nuremberg Principle IV

The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.
Reply 6
being punished will bring relief to this sinner; it will help atone for the great wrong perpetrated by the Germans not so long ago.

He’s had his life to dwell on that which I’m sure he has, the stress of all this could kill him, let’s face it he’s not gonna be popular in Germany is he. He isn’t even German
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
The SS was an ideologically motivated elite Nazi organisation. They were not the regular German army and this guy wasn't just an ordinary soldier. "Just following orders" doesn't quite cut it here.

But he was moved into the SS in 1943 (when the Germans started plucking decent soldiers from the regular army and putting them into SS training). I know what they did was terrible but my point is more that I feel it’s too late to punish him, what does it change?
Original post by AFTADBO
He’s had his life to dwell on that which I’m sure he has, the stress of all this could kill him, let’s face it he’s not gonna be popular in Germany is he. He isn’t even German

stress is women and their children being taken off a train, stripped naked and gassed. that is stress.
There are already lefties in the US attacking this, saying it's elder abuse and ICE being over zealous, or using it as cover.
Original post by AFTADBO
But he was moved into the SS in 1943 (when the Germans started plucking decent soldiers from the regular army and putting them into SS training). I know what they did was terrible but my point is more that I feel it’s too late to punish him, what does it change?

I mean, it's really a question of fairness and justice isn't it?

I think it would change things for the families of those who were killed in the death camps for a start.

Speaking generally (not about this individual - he participated in pretty much the epitome of human evil) I do think clemency and mercy have a place, but not solely on the basis of a person's age.
Reply 11
Original post by Democracy
I mean, it's really a question of fairness and justice isn't it?

I think it would change things for the families of those who were killed in the death camps for a start.

Speaking generally (not about this individual - he participated in pretty much the epitome of human evil) I do think clemency and mercy have a place, but not solely on the basis of a person's age.

True, it would interesting to see what he has said about it
Reply 12
Original post by Trinculo
There are already lefties in the US attacking this, saying it's elder abuse and ICE being over zealous, or using it as cover.

Not a lefty myself )), there’s just part of me that thinks that too much time has passed for punishment, but yeah, you make a valid point
Reply 13
stress is women and their children being taken off a train, stripped naked and gassed. that is stress.

Completely agree, but still, 95..I fully get what you are saying but something about how old he is just makes me think it’s all a bit of a stunt, futile in terms of fixing anything other than pleasing protestors
Original post by AFTADBO
Completely agree, but still, 95..I fully get what you are saying but something about how old he is just makes me think it’s all a bit of a stunt, futile in terms of fixing anything other than pleasing protestors

justice is justice.... whether you slammed the incinerator door shut 5 minutes ago or 75 years ago.
Not a fan of throwing possibly senile old men into prison (though this is "just" deportation, pretty sure this has actually happened) over mistakes they made 75 years ago. But I suppose you can hardly stop it.
Original post by AFTADBO
Not a lefty myself )), there’s just part of me that thinks that too much time has passed for punishment, but yeah, you make a valid point

Lol I don't think you can really place a statute of limitations on the Holocaust. This isn't a parking fine we're talking about.
Original post by AFTADBO
There was an old lady in the UK not too long ago that was caught as a Russian spy in like the Cold War, but she was so old they didn’t press it, they just told her they knew.

That's quite funny :P

Police: "We know you're a spy..."
Nan: "About timeeeeee! ...Now would you like some food, dear?"
*Police leave house 50st fatter* :biggrin:
I am very surprised that this is even controversial, but I suppose this is Corbyn's Britain.
These 90+ year old SS guards do need to be punished, but maybe having what are essentially 'show trials' and then sending them to prison for 5 odd years before they pop their clogs doesn't seem like the most suitable punishment...

How about when these chaps die, their estate is confiscated by the state, sold and redistributed to help Holocaust Charities? If this 95 year old is truly still a loyal Nazi, all his life's work going towards helping "sub-humans" would certainly be worse than having a cosy prison cell and full healthcare until his not too distant death.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending