The Student Room Group

Is it patriotic to holiday in Britain and unpatriotic not to?

So as we look forward to Brexit we should be giving it our best by holidaying in Britain and seeing that our money goes to the British tourist industry and into our own pockets.
However sadly some places such as caravan parks are forcing Brits to either travel abroad or stay at Home by charging extortionate prices. My parents wanted to book a weekend on the South Coast in a caravan holiday park and the price from Friday to Monday was over £900! My parents are very patriotic but can’t afford to holiday in their own country.

I think the owners of these holiday parks are being unpatriotic by charging extortionate prices that ordinary families can’t afford. It would not surprise me if they support the EU and are remoaners neither woukd it surprise me if they spend the cash they have ripped off holiday makers on their own foreign holidays.
It could also be the EU to blame. My parents said they used to get holiday camp vouchers, Butlins vouchers etc that helped them get a low price deal. But the EU banned these vouchers because not enough Brits were going to Spain.

In either case with our Brexit goal not far away something needs to be done to encourage the masses to holiday in Britain at an affordable rate even if it means bringing these holiday parks into public ownership and sacking their remoaners owners who discourage their fellow Brits from enjoying a British holiday by charging extortionate prices. I mean £900 for 3 bloody days! Seriously.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
My parents are very patriotic but can’t afford to holiday in their own country.

What has being patriotic got to do with anything. Sounds like your parents are just lacking in imagination. We had a weeks camping holiday for £300 all in this year and that included several meals out and excursions.

That said, post no-deal-Brexit is will be near impossible to get out of the UK. Flights will be grounded, there will be 20 mile queues at all the ports and it will cost £5 to buy a Euro. Sorry - project fear. It will all be dandy.
I hope I will still get to holiday in Greece post-Brexit.
Original post by ByEeek
What has being patriotic got to do with anything. Sounds like your parents are just lacking in imagination. We had a weeks camping holiday for £300 all in this year and that included several meals out and excursions.

That said, post no-deal-Brexit is will be near impossible to get out of the UK. Flights will be grounded, there will be 20 mile queues at all the ports and it will cost £5 to buy a Euro. Sorry - project fear. It will all be dandy.

The U.K. will suffer economically after leaving the single market, but the idea that we won’t be able to fly planes is absurd.

The people currently in charge of implementing brexit are doing an awful job, the people campaigning for us to remain in the EU are doing an even worse job, if that’s even possible. Their whole approach has been basically:

‘do these bloody peasants know that if we leave the EU the price of Caviar will increase by twenty per cent?!’
Original post by Axiomasher

Depends if Golden Dawn will let you in 😂
Original post by Davij038

‘do these bloody peasants know that if we leave the EU the price of Caviar will increase by twenty per cent?!’

It's more that shelves will be depleted of food in the event of a hard brexit due to massive disruption of supply chains. The fact the government is planning on using the army in a hard brexit scenario where this happens suggests it isn't just fear mongering.

Last time I checked food is something working class poeple need and not just a bourgeois decadence.
(edited 5 years ago)
Lol no of course not. Britain has a lot of great places to visit but it is just one country out of many. Nowadays, many of us have the ability and resources to travel to places across the world’s more than any other generation before us. If you have the money, why not explore more of the world and see different landscapes, different animals, different ways of life etc?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Last time I checked food is something working class poeple need and not just a bourgeois decadence.

No but this is mostly people from the middles classes kvetching about potential House of Fraser closures rather than someone genuinely worried about getting food on the table.

Meh, experts have been wrong before. I’m pretty relaxed, besides if it as bad as people make it out to be it’ll be fertile revolution territory ⚔️
No but this is mostly people from the middles classes kvetching about potential House of Fraser closures rather than someone genuinely worried about getting food on the table.

Meh, experts have been wrong before. I’m pretty relaxed, besides if it as bad as people make it out to be it’ll be fertile revolution territory ⚔️

No it isn't. No food on the shelves hammers everyone that relies on TESCO to be fed.

Experts were right about austerity and I suspect they would be right about this.

We have all the bad apsects of technocracy without any of the actual expertise.
(edited 5 years ago)
The U.K. will suffer economically after leaving the single market, but the idea that we won’t be able to fly planes is absurd.

The people currently in charge of implementing brexit are doing an awful job, the people campaigning for us to remain in the EU are doing an even worse job, if that’s even possible. Their whole approach has been basically:

Planes grounded is not absurd as you might think
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44725606

And the negotiators are doing an amazing job. What people like yourselves still fail to acknowledge is just how complicated our integration with Europe actually is. It affects absolutely every aspect of our lives and the legal mechanisms that allow us to work within Europe can not be unpicked in a straightforward manner. The job of leaving the EU is not unlike trying to remove the living room from your house.
Original post by ByEeek
Planes grounded is not absurd as you might think
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44725606

And the negotiators are doing an amazing job. What people like yourselves still fail to acknowledge is just how complicated our integration with Europe actually is. It affects absolutely every aspect of our lives and the legal mechanisms that allow us to work within Europe can not be unpicked in a straightforward manner. The job of leaving the EU is not unlike trying to remove the living room from your house.

As someone who has studied EU law I have a fairly good idea.

Yes the way we are doing it is immensely complicated where we are trying to pick and choose. We can’t do this. Thus we are essentially just stalling for time possibly in the vague hope that something happens on the continent that benefits us, eg eurosceptic parties gaining power.

Brexit comes down to political will. I am almost certain that Trump would make a far better job of it because he’d be quite willing to basically bully the EU into giving us a good deal- eg by threatening to align with Russia. The problem is a lot of these brexiterts are free market liberal nutters who don’t understand the real world of economics.
:laugh: yes op, every caravan park owner is a remoaner trying to sabotage the UK.

It’s cheaper to holiday abroad. As a general rule the weather is better. And I intend to carry on doing so
Nothing fancy, canaries or Balearics suits me fine
And getting two weeks all inclusive including flights for £650 is a no brainier thank you!
Original post by Axiomasher

Venezuelans don't need a visa to travel to the European Union, so why are you still acting as if British nationals are going to be asked to apply for a tourist visa?
Reply 14
I'd love to holiday in the countryside but prices in this country are absurdly expensive. It was cheaper for me to fly abroad this summer and stay in a hotel than it was for me to stay in a modest Lake District cottage.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
Venezuelans don't need a visa to travel to the European Union, so why are you still acting as if British nationals are going to be asked to apply for a tourist visa?

Because Venezuela has an agreement with the EU over visa-free access.

As soon as you say "no deal", that means visas or the EU deciding to change its law to unilaterally waive the requirement for visas.

As soon as you say "we'll do a deal" then we don't have a "no deal" scenario and the question arises what will the deal cover?When you ngotiate a deal, you can't insist that the other side will do a deal on the things you want, but you won't even discuss the things they want.
I dunno, Scotland's pretty small, I've already seen a lot of it, I'd likely want to go somewhere else :P
Brexit comes down to political will. I am almost certain that Trump would make a far better job of it because he’d be quite willing to basically bully the EU into giving us a good deal- eg by threatening to align with Russia. The problem is a lot of these brexiterts are free market liberal nutters who don’t understand the real world of economics.

The only way you can bully someone is if you are more powerful. We ate not more powerful than the EU. We have more to lose than them.
I mean Idk about everything you said but one reason why UK looks like a post apocalyptic warzone in many places is because citizens abandon the place and UK only gets either tourism in the same spots or migrants settling in untouched zones and bringing down property values. Are places like Skegness and our coastal cities like Grimsby *****y because it's cheaper to holiday abroad? (it's not cheaper; it cost far more to stay comfortably in Ibiza than OP's said 900 quid). Or is UK *****y because of inflated prices scaring off nationals and foreign tourists? I personally think UK could amp the place up a bit and bring down prices regardless of more attractive areas overseas, but Leaving the EU could also discourage nationals to waste their money abroad :smile:
Original post by StriderHort
I dunno, Scotland's pretty small, I've already seen a lot of it, I'd likely want to go somewhere else :P

go to wales lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending