The Student Room Group

Wannabe banker go Swansea or retake yet again

I f****d my a levels so my best offer through clearing was a business management course with a foundation year.
Dream is to work in London on some really cool projects within the finance sector.
Do I retake for the second time and reapply to uni or do this four year course at Swansea
Reply 1
i went to that uni and studied a similar course. i didnt know they had a foundation year for BM?
my time at swansea was great, plus we got a brand new campus now and its strolling up the league tables. youd be mad to resit anything even if have to do a foundation course first
Original post by Onlysaz
I f****d my a levels so my best offer through clearing was a business management course with a foundation year.
Dream is to work in London on some really cool projects within the finance sector.
Do I retake for the second time and reapply to uni or do this four year course at Swansea

What A levels did you get and what do you think you are capable of?
See if princepieman will give you some time as he has unique insight on this sort of situation and likes banks.

Personally I'm always a fan of retaking if you know you can improve.
Reply 3
Original post by Onlysaz

what grades did you get and which subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
what grades did you get and which subjects?

C English language
D Business Studies
D Economics
I just think these results on my CV will hinder my opportunities in the future? :frown:
@Princepieman?
Reply 5
Original post by Ol94
i went to that uni and studied a similar course. i didnt know they had a foundation year for BM?
my time at swansea was great, plus we got a brand new campus now and its strolling up the league tables. youd be mad to resit anything even if have to do a foundation course first

I’m glad you enjoyed Swansea! Yeah they said I have guaranteed accommodation in a new building which is exciting:smile:
how was the night life?
Original post by Onlysaz
C English language
D Business Studies
D Economics
I just think these results on my CV will hinder my opportunities in the future? :frown:
@Princepieman?

You can do an apprenticeship, my now bf did an apprenticeship( not sure which one)and he’s now a banker.
You need to work on other job skills besides Alevels and also experience in other places b4 u get there.
Original post by Onlysaz
C English language
D Business Studies
D Economics
@Princepieman?

knuckle down, retake your alevels and go to a better uni next year. Swansea is really not ideal and your grades are too low to be taken seriously by most firms (unless you're some kind of networking afficionado)
Original post by Onlysaz

Hi @Onlysaz

I think it's fair to say you know what you want to do with your career and where you want to go, which is great. It may feel not great at the moment, but those results could spur you on to re-take and do better next year.

If you are not keen on the Business Management course, then I personally would say to not do it for the sake of going to university. An extra year won't hinder you at all, and would help you focus on getting to your goal.

Hope that helps, but feel free to get in contact if you'd like some more info :smile:

Chris - NTU rep
Hi @Onlysaz

I'm sorry that you feel like you haven't done so well in your A Levels but it is great that you are considering your options now.

The best way to make this kind of decision it to gather as much information as possible so that you can make a realistic well informed decision about your future. This is the bit we can help with!

If you were to the degree, this could give you an opportunity when you finish to join a graduate management training scheme in a bank or building society. This would lead to a management position within a bank and while you will still always have those A-Level grades, you would also have an extra years worth of management training at degree standard due to the foundation year.

If you were to re-sit it could give the opportunity to study a more subject related course, but have you considered that A-Levels are not your only option? It is possible to gain entry into a management position in finance, such as a bank manager by working your way through the apprenticeship route. There are a number of Higher Apprenticeships within Finance available at the moment. You can find these by using the "Find an Apprenticeship" website:

https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch?searchMode=Category

You can also talk through your options and get help with coming up with your plan by contacting the Exam Results Helpline on 0800 100 900. They have expert, friendly advisers who can listen to your circumstances and needs and help you to come up with a plan that is best for you, so that you can feel confident about your next steps.

I hope this all helps and I'm wishing you the best of luck!
Rosy
Reply 11
Original post by Onlysaz
I’m glad you enjoyed Swansea! Yeah they said I have guaranteed accommodation in a new building which is exciting:smile:
how was the night life?

there is a street of many clubs and bars some are good some a bit chit but after 4 years i didnt get bored of nights out
i think further to prince is economics or acc finance is better choice than business mgmt
also i goy chit a levels not as bad but i did aat level 3 on an apprenticeship for a gap year and got a shed loads of ucas 160 at the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending