The Student Room Group

Where Do I Go If I Decide To Retake Most Of My GCSE's?

I am planning on going to sixth form for 2 years to study biology, chemistry and mathematics. If my GCSE results are disappointing and I decide to retake certain GCSE's such as science, english, etc where do I go?

Would I continue on to sixth form even if I haven't met the required grades for entry?

Would I go to college?

Would I stay at home for a year, however, the law states that you must be in education until 18 years old?

What is the procedure for my age and retaking GCSE's (I know it is not that common). Because I know some people that are retaking their A-Levels but they can just stay at home and go to the odd class at school 1/2x a week.

Is there any advice anyone can give or has anyone had this experience before?

Thank you.
When you say that you want to retake your GCSEs if they go "badly" what do you mean by badly? If you're aiming to go on to university study, usually maths/English are the only required GCSEs.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
When you say that you want to retake your GCSEs if they go "badly" what do you mean by badly? If you're aiming to go on to university study, usually maths/English are the only required GCSEs.

Thank you for your reply.

The adverb "badly" was not written in my post.
However, if you are curious as to what I mean by "disappointing", I am referring to my personal aims and whether my results are a reflection of these or not.
If they are not then my results are considered by myself as "disappointing".

I am simply wondering where to go in that year if I decide to retake my GCSE's in the following year?
Only retake gcses u need for ur uni couse and english and maths if there not C, or B if u want to go to top unis in my 6 form when we started my friend redid english in January alongside his a levels so not sure if excluseive to mine but u might be able to redo it alongside a levels whilst at 6 form
Original post by SeanGjoka
Thank you for your reply.

The adverb "badly" was not written in my post.
However, if you are curious as to what I mean by "disappointing", I am referring to my personal aims and whether my results are a reflection of these or not.
If they are not then my results are considered by myself as "disappointing".

I am simply wondering where to go in that year if I decide to retake my GCSE's in the following year?

I have answered all your questions in bold in the quote I made of your post.

Personally, I think there would be little benefit to retaking GCSEs outside of English/maths- however, I there are potential routes available.

Quick Reply

Latest