The Student Room Group
The link takes me to thisScreenshot_20180822-180124_Samsung Internet-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by DrawTheLine
The link takes me to thisScreenshot_20180822-180124_Samsung Internet-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Hey, thanks for this!

Should be sorted now :smile:
Reply 3
Long - distance relationships require an extraordinary level of commitment which in most cases is not worth it.
Just an opinion
Having had an LDR at age 13/14 with a girl i'd met on Instagram (i did meet her irl a couple times), I think that LDRs are just so much commitment and require a lot of effort on each partner's part, and you are also likely to end up arguing; however, if they work for you then go ahead, but i'd say if you're doing exams at the same time, there's not much point as you'll get more stressed :/
The biggest most important thing in long distance relationships is trust and commitment. You have to make time for one another. Be creative with how you're gonna do that. We're in an age where we have so many ways to keep in touch with someone. If you don't make the effort why should your partner? Once you start faltering on effort its doomed. Trust is self explanatory. Lose that and its almost impossible to recover from. LDR will just exacerbate that problem.

It also needs an end date. When it no longer is a long distance relationship and that it is something closer. LDR's can work but they require an incredible amount of effort!
Reply 6
Original post by Vic Vinegar
We've just uploaded an article with nine tips for making your long-distance relationship work!

What do you think? Are you in a LDR? How do you make it work?

:train2:

I am currently in a ldr, it's been over 2 years now. I guess it's easier for those people who are older, with jobs where they could book their own flights and go see their partner. I've just turned 18 in December. I've met her once, in the past 2 years and 6 months. I'm in my last year of sixth form, hoping to go into an apprenticeship. I guess right now, it's all about waiting.
As someone who has been in an LDR for the last 5 years and it being literally the furthest you can get (England - New Zealand) I'd like to think I have some expertise. Trust. It's something that builds up over time, and as someone who has trust issues myself I totally get it. But if you have little trust in them, or they in you and it's been several months - what's the point? If it has been broken then you need to analyse if its worth it. Honesty. Goes hand in hand with trust. Be honest, or just don't be in an LDR. Communication. This goes for those who obsessively talk, too. You have to have some limitations. Yes it's nice to skype, call, or message often. But at the same time it can get too much. Live your own life. A LDR is a perfect way to be in a relationship but to also have that separation. Whilst timezones suck, they also make it a billion ties easier to focus on your own life away from the relationship. Sort your priorities out. If you're high maintenance, argue a lot, etc - it's not for you and there's no point putting yourself through all of it for nothing. LDR's aren't like normal relationships where it's easier to solve issues. It takes time and commitment, and if you can't put it in, don't get in one. Figure out if the argument is really worth it, just bite your tongue and you'll get over it in 20 mins. Travel deals. Honestly, skyscanner is my best friend. Constantly look for flight deals, promotions etc. There's always going to be cheap flights going around. If not, save up over time, ask for family members to help pay small parts as a christmas or birthday gift instead of receiving presents. Saying that, there's always cheap ways to travel and explore your own country / area with your LDR. Travel vloggers and backpackers are your best bet for all the nicest places as well as cheap ideas and how to explore. As soon as you're with them you'll have realised that everything you've been through separately and together as a couple has been 100% worth it.
For all of those worried about starting a LDR when going to uni, or are in a relationship when they go and may be leaving someone behind, I'd just like this to be a little ray of hope.

I'm in a committed relationship to another girl, we're nearing the 3-year mark now. Before I went to uni, I scrolled through pages and pages on forums about how difficult it is to keep a relationship going during uni, or how difficult LDRs are. Yes, it's tough, but it's certainly more than doable. Don't doubt yourself or your partner - if you really think you're in love, then this should be fine. We make time to get the train and see each other when we can, and when possible, spend weekends together. It's cheaper to book in advance. Fork out for a railcard - it's going to be a huge money saver in the long run.

I thought we would fail, but uni has actually been really fun, and we're as strong as ever. She will be moving even further away next year, but we're both so sure that we'll be able to do it. Please don't give up just because you think it's impossible. Give it a go first, you might surprise yourself.

xx
I’ve been an LDR for 5 years now. Theres an 8 hour time difference and 4600 miles between us (literally the other side of the planet). It’s not easy but it is so so worth it. LDRs build a special kind of relationship, they force you to really get to know each other rather than depending on physical contact and sex and those moments you are together are incredible. Being there with that person that is your best friend but also so much more is really special. A lot if people think they are a waste of time and don’t go anywhere but I encourage you to try it and put effort into it. I only see my partner 2x times a year for a couple of months max at a time but over Christmas we got engaged and are getting married next summer. If 5 years, 4600 miles, 8 hour time difference and an engagement ring cant make you think that LDRs are possible and worth it then nothing can.
I have being in a long distance relationship (im in England, he´s in the middle of Spain) since October (8 months), and honestly it is not a major problem. Just make sure you comunicate a lot and everything, be honest, make sure the other person feels loved by you and you ll be fine! Preparing a trip together can be fun as well. To be honest it has being amazing what you can learn from each other being aaprt, and just makes the greetings better!
I am in a long distance relationship and one has to decide to chill and do things you always wanted to do as a single or else you will go nuts. Obviously not do things like cheating.... or else just disengage from the LDR. Its only fair. Dont waist the other person's time. There could be someone else out there better suited for that person than you and vice versa. For me there must also be a time limit attached to the LDR and one has to see each other "regularly" like every 4 to 6 months. I think I found a soulmate in my LDR so I am willing to run the extra mile to make it work. <3
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Vic Vinegar
We've just uploaded an article with nine tips for making your long-distance relationship work!

What do you think? Are you in a LDR? How do you make it work?

:train2:

im in an ldr,i um make it work by uh im really not sure we just do
Hey, my crush and I have been talking for over 2 months now and he lives 4000 miles away. We recently confessed our feelings for each other but he said the distance bothers him a bit so we did not date but he really wanted to keep talking to me.

A couple of days ago, he told me that he is introverted and does not like being around people a lot so he might not talk much, however, he told me that he could still take time out for me.It is just a phase like he goes through however, I really like this guy and idk what to do. He said he cannot just date unless he knows that we will meet in some future time :frown:
I really do not know what to do
Long distance relationships do not exist. Don't kid yourself like someone I know (Alfie AHAH).
Original post by username5807708
Long distance relationships do not exist. Don't kid yourself like someone I know (Alfie AHAH).

Oh, they do. my sister is in a LDR, they’ve been together for over 2 years and i’ve never seen them happier. You have your own opinion on them and so do we
I am in a LDR. I’ve been seeing him every weekend because my family goes to their caravan on Fridays so I tag along and get two buses to see him when I get there. Well, after the weekend coming up, the caravan park closes for 5 months which means we won’t get to see each-other. I gave him my perfume that I always wear and he gave his to me, so we always have a part of each-other with us. I don’t know what I’m going to do through these months. I may not be able to see him for Christmas. I hope it works out, but I tend to need a lot of reassurance due to my past relationships. we FaceTime every night and we sometimes have a small argument once during the week due to being stressed about not seeing each-other. I’m going to miss him so much. I’ve never had anyone care for me like he does and I want this to work.

Latest

Trending

Trending