The Student Room Group

GYG 2018/19: I got into University! Now what?!

Welcome!

Now that people are starting to make their GYG and freshers blogs for the new year, I'd thought I'd hop back onto the bandwagon myself! If you'd like to catch up with how my A Levels went (including my pretty chaotic Year 12 story), check out my GYG from last year here! :nyan:

So I've been deliberating a lot over whether to start a new GYG or a freshers blog, but I considered my main aim for this year, which is to try my absolute best academically, avoiding as much procrastination as I can (unlike last year lol). So, I'm back here for another year, and I can just include all the freshers type things on here anyway :yes: I feel like there's a lack of representation of university students in the GYG forum, so I'm hoping this will help people still at school learn more about what it's like being a university student from an academic perspective :smile: I also kind of want to prove to myself that I can maintain a GYG blog throughout the year and that I don't have to abandon it completely :lol: as my past experience would say otherwise… (Also, if I update it regularly, then maybe you lovely people won't have to scan through my ridiculously long essays, trying to catch up on all the stuff I've missed, like exhibit A lol)

Now for the juicy info!

_________________________________________________ :emog: _________________________________________________

University

Spoiler

GCSEs

Spoiler

A Levels

Spoiler

_________________________________________________:bubbles:__________________________________________________

Goals For This Year

Spoiler

Important Posts

Spoiler

Important Dates

Spoiler

__________________________________________________ :lovie2:__________________________________________________

Tag List
If you'd like to be added/removed, please tell me! :heart:

Spoiler

@bluebear25618

:grouphugs:
I'm going to tag the lovely people from my last GYG's tag list, just this once! :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well done! Your GCSE's are pretty insane as well.
2nd year direct entry?! Snazzy.:yes:

Please gimme the tags please. All the tags.:gah:
Oh no, wait does second year count in scotland?

I enjoyed chilling in first year and wouldnt trade it for the world, first semester i was so lost lol. But i guess in such a technical field you wont really need to learn much essay writing...
Tag me please!! So excited to follow this :biggrin: and beg you for help when I’m struggling with my own degree ahem :colondollar:
Original post by Harriso1
Well done! Your GCSE's are pretty insane as well.

Thank you!! Ahahah they are, 2 years later and still in disbelief about them to be honest :colondollar:

Original post by 04MR17
2nd year direct entry?! Snazzy.:yes:

Please gimme the tags please. All the tags.:gah:

Hehe yup, but only because A Level Further Maths turns out to be a similar level to the first year of a Scottish maths degree :colondollar: And done! :h:

Original post by Realitysreflexx
Oh no, wait does second year count in scotland?

I enjoyed chilling in first year and wouldnt trade it for the world, first semester i was so lost lol. But i guess in such a technical field you wont really need to learn much essay writing...

From what I believe, only honours years count in Scotland (at least for St Andrews anyway), so 3rd and 4th year, meaning I still get a year to settle in before things start to matter. I can imagine it would be extremely hard to adjust to university when taking an essay based subject! :redface: I'm planning on taking a couple of music modules, one being an essay based module, so we'll see how I cope :lol:
Original post by Protostar
Tag me please!! So excited to follow this :biggrin: and beg you for help when I’m struggling with my own degree ahem :colondollar:

Eee done! :biggrin: And ahahah oh dear looks like we'll both be struggling together in that case :colondollar:
Me please! :woo:
Please tag me ☺️
i definitely want to be tagged!

really excited to see how you get on :hugs:
Original post by furryface12
Me please! :woo:

Original post by ilikemango
Please tag me ☺️

Original post by clouddbubbles
i definitely want to be tagged!

really excited to see how you get on :hugs:

Yaaay done! :heart:
Uni Preparation #1

So these past few days, I've been wrapped up in university admin, trying to sort out plane tickets for Christmas, packing lists, student portal and email logins, accommodation, and module choices! I'll summarise a few of the things here:

Accommodation
So at St Andrews, when you apply for halls accommodation, you put the types of accommodation offered in order of preference. I put single standard catered (not en-suite but catered) at the top of my list and I was so happy when I received it! I got placed in McIntosh Hall (which was the standard catered hall I least wanted to get lol my accommodation luck is awful) but I'm still so grateful that I got a single room because single standard catered is pretty oversubscribed! After researching about McIntosh Hall for quite a bit (just for my peace of mind tbh), I found out that on one side of the top floors, you get really nice views overlooking the beach (West Sands) and golf course. Of course, just after I found this out, I found out my room number, and it looks like I'm on the ground floor on the opposite side (seriously, my accommodation luck is just :lol:)! People have been saying that the ground floor has previously been the site where various drunks manage to vomit a few times since it's the most accessible… I'll just have to bring ear plugs and a face mask LOL

Choosing Modules
On the student portal, you select modules of at least 120 credits (for 2nd year at least). I ended up selecting 7 maths modules and 2 music modules, which totalled to 145 credits, so I'm planning on talking to my advisor during Freshers week about whether I could just drop 1 maths module and do 130 credits instead… we'll see :s-smilie:

If you're interested in which modules I chose:

Spoiler

I think that's everything I have to tell you for now! :biggrin: Thanks for reading! :heart:

Tags :woo: Please tell me if you'd like to be added/removed :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Personally I would drop Vector Calculus.

Abstract Algebra I'm jealous of.:teeth:
Original post by 04MR17
Personally I would drop Vector Calculus.

Abstract Algebra I'm jealous of.:teeth:

I've heard so many people say how hard Vector Calculus is and that's definitely put me off, and literally most of the applications are physics and engineering related which I both have zero interest in :lol: But I love calculus and it sounds like it would fit well with the Multivariable Calculus module so I'm torn! :doh:

Sooo excited for Abstract Algebra, the pure stuff is where it's at! :woo:
Tag me!!
Good luck at St Andrews! :rave:
And how do you do that gradient thing? It's pretty cool. :awesome:
The dedication to get those coloured titles :gah:
Those modules make me want to come with you :rofl:
Definitely following, really want to hear all about maths degrees :yep: No tag list though please, trying not to be on any this year!
Original post by nyxnko_
Tag me!!
Good luck at St Andrews! :rave:
And how do you do that gradient thing? It's pretty cool. :awesome:

Done! :biggrin: Thank youuuu, it's all courtesy of a BBCode coloured text generator :colondollar:

Original post by Lemur14
The dedication to get those coloured titles :gah:
Those modules make me want to come with you :rofl:
Definitely following, really want to hear all about maths degrees :yep: No tag list though please, trying not to be on any this year!

Hehe :biggrin: Just one more year and you'll be at uni doing modules like these before you know it! :woo: And noted! :h:
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Done! :biggrin: Thank youuuu, it's all courtesy of a BBCode coloured text generator :colondollar:

Just searched it up and it looks awesome!! :awesome:
Original post by nyxnko_
Just searched it up and it looks awesome!! :awesome:

:lol: I know right?!
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
:lol: I know right?!

Yep.
We're having too much fun with this :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending