The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

How good is Queen Marys for economics and finance

How good is Queens for economics, finance or management?
I have heard good things about their science degrees but not so much about those 3>
Reply 1
I only know of Queen Mary's for their science not gonna lie, for economics, finance and management, the best unis are always in London
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ireti
I only know of Queen Mary's for their science not gonna lie, for economics, finance and management, the best unis are always in London

I have a place at Queen Marys for economics and finance. Is there a chance I can transfer like at the end of the year if it doesn't scratch up to quality? i am not saying Queens is a bad uni but it might be really good at science but not so geared towards economics and finance.
Reply 3
Original post by massived
I have a place at Queen Marys for economics and finance. Is there a chance I can transfer like at the end of the year if it doesn't scratch up to quality? i am not saying Queens is a bad uni but it might be really good at science but not so geared towards economics and finance.

as far as I'm aware, unis hate transfers, I don't know too much about it but do some research and see maybe?
Reply 4
Original post by ireti
as far as I'm aware, unis hate transfers, I don't know too much about it but do some research and see maybe?

Why do they hate it? I guess they are losing some sweet cash tho
Reply 5
Why do they hate it? I guess they are losing some sweet cash tho

I think they get jelly that they didn't teach you the first year of the course so it may get more complex
I've heard the economics and finance department are really supportive, especially with careers.
They help you out by allowing you to visit the top firms.
I visited Barclays (Canary Wharf) and another law firm near sky garden in my first year just to get a taste of what it's like working there.
It's obviously up to you at the end of the day to step out and be independent, check out those emails inviting you to different opportunities, etc.
Reply 7
Original post by Bloom77
I've heard the economics and finance department are really supportive, especially with careers.
They help you out by allowing you to visit the top firms.
I visited Barclays (Canary Wharf) and another law firm near sky garden in my first year just to get a taste of what it's like working there.
It's obviously up to you at the end of the day to step out and be independent, check out those emails inviting you to different opportunities, etc.

I know it's a bit early but hearing what people have said, my dad's lawyer who has been friends with him for a long time has talked about the weight of a degree, where a degree's weight is determined on where it is from. That's my only worry, I feel like if Queens isn't recognised for Economics or finance, the possibility of loss of jobs in the future. Again, early days but it's my worry going into the situation.
I know it's a bit early but hearing what people have said, my dad's lawyer who has been friends with him for a long time has talked about the weight of a degree, where a degree's weight is determined on where it is from. That's my only worry, I feel like if Queens isn't recognised for Economics or finance, the possibility of loss of jobs in the future. Again, early days but it's my worry going into the situation.

Do you have an offer? Or are you considering applying?
If you are considering applying, then definitely come to an open day or taster day and check it out yourself.
Queen Mary isn't really recognised for anything particular (apart from Law), but I personally believe it's good all round in all courses.
Overall, getting a job in the future isn't 100% determined by what university you go too, it is mainly determined on what experiences you have built throughout the years whilst at university.
Did you secure a internship? Did you do any volunteering? What was the grade you achieved in your degree? Did you attend any networking events?

At the end of the day, it's up to you to be independent and active about all of these opportunities that surround you.

I suggest you check out Linkedin.
It's a great website where you can see different profiles of students/researchers/CEOs and their experiences and education and you can see where it has taken them career-wise.
Reply 9
Well, i am starting this year, 1st year.
I have been offered and have taken a place at Queens, I am just a bit sceptical, I have kinda heard the same kind of it matters where your degree is from. And it's driving me nuts because hearing about all about Brexit and the economy is gonna struggle which it most likely end up being. And in that case, any small advantage goes a long way when standing out when I start applying for jobs, I just feel like I have to be at a university well renown for those particular subjects in order to stand out amongst other candidates. I know i haven't even done an exam or even taken a term yet but I end up worrying about the bigger picture which is very me. To be honest, I will just work smart and hard, take every chance they give me to further my skills like you said, enjoy my years at university and just see how it goes.
Well, i am starting this year, 1st year.
I have been offered and have taken a place at Queens, I am just a bit sceptical, I have kinda heard the same kind of it matters where your degree is from. And it's driving me nuts because hearing about all about Brexit and the economy is gonna struggle which it most likely end up being. And in that case, any small advantage goes a long way when standing out when I start applying for jobs, I just feel like I have to be at a university well renown for those particular subjects in order to stand out amongst other candidates. I know i haven't even done an exam or even taken a term yet but I end up worrying about the bigger picture which is very me. To be honest, I will just work smart and hard, take every chance they give me to further my skills like you said, enjoy my years at university and just see how it goes.

you are right when you say employers look at where you got your degree from and at the end of the day, Queen Mary isn't a bad university at all.
but overall, employers do look at your experience. if you've been doing nothing for 3 years at university, it's not because of where you got your degree from. I know a lot of UCL graduates who haven't exactly secured a graduate job yet.
so yeah, like you said make the most of the opportunities that surround you. and join the finance society too.
best of luck with the academic year!
Reply 11
Original post by Bloom77
you are right when you say employers look at where you got your degree from and at the end of the day, Queen Mary isn't a bad university at all.
but overall, employers do look at your experience. if you've been doing nothing for 3 years at university, it's not because of where you got your degree from. I know a lot of UCL graduates who haven't exactly secured a graduate job yet.
so yeah, like you said make the most of the opportunities that surround you. and join the finance society too.
best of luck with the academic year!

Arigato Bloom77 senpai
How good is Queens for economics, finance or management?
I have heard good things about their science degrees but not so much about those 3>

Hey there!

Great to hear you're interested in studying with us!

You are more than welcome to chat to some of our students on Unibuddy to find our more about the course - https://www.qmul.ac.uk/unibuddy/

Jordan or Kevin on there study Economics and I'm sure they'd be able to help you out with any questions you have!

Best wishes,
Ryan
Reply 13

Im in the same boat as you. I can go Queen Mary for economics but i have no idea how it is. I've mostly heard bad things about it. I agree with @Bloom77 about the whole experience and independent thing but what if the lectures are bad or they're not as supportive etc etc :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by smhn
Im in the same boat as you. I can go Queen Mary for economics but i have no idea how it is. I've mostly heard bad things about it. I agree with @Bloom77 about the whole experience and independent thing but what if the lectures are bad or they're not as supportive etc etc :frown:

Try the unibuddy thing, it helps. Maybe the students on there are being bribed to say only good things but not sure
Original post by smhn

I'll be honest with you, there are good and bad lecturers in all universities so honestly, you just have to attend your lectures and pay attention to them. Obviously if you need any support, go to the lecturer at the end and ask them anything you like, you are paying 9 grand a year, so take every help you can get. If its a big question you need to ask them, then you can book an appointment with them. I've booked so many in my second year ad it really helped me progress with understanding the content.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Try the unibuddy thing, it helps. Maybe the students on there are being bribed to say only good things but not sure

I've been talking to one. It seems alright but yh maybe they get paid to talk nice.
Reply 17
Original post by smhn
I've been talking to one. It seems alright but yh maybe they get paid to talk nice.

Yeah I am low key skeptical.

I bet they check out all the chat logs and make sure that they are saying nice stuff
Reply 18
Yeah I am low key skeptical.

I bet they check out all the chat logs and make sure that they are saying nice stuff

ikr idk what to believe. Check out my recent thread, i need help deciding on whether i should go qm or take a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending