The Student Room Group

Are My Results Okay For Top Unis? (Oxbridge, Durham etc.)

I want to do medicine (I think) and I am doing biology, chemistry and maths at A-Level. I don't know if I should do 4 because I think I'd have a better chance of getting in if I did 4.

Biology: 7
Chemistry: 8
Physics: 7
English Lang&Lit: 7
Maths: 6
R.E.: 8
History: 9
ICT: L2M
French: 7

I think I did about average, the only one I'm dissapointed in is maths but at least I got a 6 I guess. What does everyone think??
Reply 1
A place on medicine really depends on your actual a level results
Original post by idkeither41
I want to do medicine (I think) and I am doing biology, chemistry and maths at A-Level. I don't know if I should do 4 because I think I'd have a better chance of getting in if I did 4.

I think I did about average, the only one I'm dissapointed in is maths but at least I got a 6 I guess. What does everyone think??
3 good A Level grades are better than 4 alright A Level grades. Stick with 3 and be brilliant at them. All the universities have been pretty consistent with that advice since ASs were phased out (in their old form) a couple of years ago.

Those grades will be fine for medicine.:smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements
Original post by idkeither41

Yes these grades will be fine, it is far overstated the effect on an application your GCSE grades will have. Congratulations :smile:
Reply 4
According to the entry requirements page on Cambridge's website, keeping in mind their attitude towards GCSEs is probably shared by quite a few top unis,

"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.
Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE (7 is considered equivalent to an A in the new grading structure; and 8 and 9 is considered equivalent to an A*). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."
Congratulations.

You need to be careful where you apply. For example, Oxford and Cardiff specifically look for very high GCSE grades. However, 80-90% of med schools are still open to you.

Original post by Evil Homer
Yes these grades will be fine, it is far overstated the effect on an application your GCSE grades will have. Congratulations :smile:

You have to be a bit careful with medicine as requirments can vary wildly and there are a few with insane requirements - a couple examples below.

I just make sure to tell people to do their homework before applying!

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/admissions-criteria/medicine/medicine
To be honest GCSEs mean very little after the application process for sixth form. If you do 4 A levels then it might mean more stress and work overload for yourself, and that's not gonna help at all, plus no university will make someone with 4 a levels more likely to get in than someone with 3 a levels, they just look at the top 3. If you can handle a lot of revision then do 4 a levels, otherwise drop one later down the line

Quick Reply

Latest