The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get a A/A* at physics A-Level if I try hard enough

I got a 6 in GCSE, with enough hard work would it be possible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
yes you can get an a star, but it'll take effort. I was getting 30-40% ish on tests during both years of sixth form. a few months before the exam I decided I wanted to get an a star, so I did every single past paper that existed since 2008. it took forever but it definitely worked and even though I still dont really understand physics, I knew the mark schemes well enough to be able to get a high a star.
Reply 3
Original post by Dave1028
I got a 6 in GCSE, with enough hard work would it be possible?
If you find Physics concepts interesting, then yes. Did you try really hard at GCSE and got a 6?

I didn't really put any work in Physics throughout year 12 and half of year 13, I got an E in my January mocks. I worked hard from then and got an A in the end, so it's not impossible but I did really enjoy Physics when I was working from Jan onwards.
Reply 4
Original post by CSJedi
If you find Physics concepts interesting, then yes. Did you try really hard at GCSE and got a 6?

I didn't really put any work in Physics throughout year 12 and half of year 13, I got an E in my January mocks. I worked hard from then and got an A in the end, so it's not impossible but I did really enjoy Physics when I was working from Jan onwards.

I did try moderatly hard for physics, but some concepts such as electrictiy, motor effect and generator effect - I just couldn't understand, I was using site such as Seneca Learning to help me, and to be honest it didn't help too well - I'm going to start revising from the moment I enter my new college, But overall i really need to get three A*'s
Reply 5
I did try moderatly hard for physics, but some concepts such as electrictiy, motor effect and generator effect - I just couldn't understand, I was using site such as Seneca Learning to help me, and to be honest it didn't help too well - I'm going to start revising from the moment I enter my new college, But overall i really need to get three A*'s
What degree do you want to do at university?

If getting an A* is your main concern, in your position, I would take another subject since it would spare you a lot of time which you can use towards those subjects. Physics at GCSE is very different to Physics at A level imo, so it would be VERY hard, and potentially make it harder for you to get A*s in the other 2 subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by CSJedi
What degree do you want to do at university?

If getting an A* is your main concern, in your position, I would take another subject since it would spare you a lot of time which you can use towards those subjects. Physics at GCSE is very different to Physics at A level imo, so it would be VERY hard, and potentially make it harder for you to get A*s in the other 2 subjects.

I'm wanting to do Computing at University and my results are as followed
English Language :7
Geography:7
History:8
Chemistry:7
Biology:7
Physics:6
Religious studies:8
Computer Science:8
Mathematics:8
Further Mathematics:B
Reply 7
I'm wanting to do Computing at University and my results are as followed
English Language :7
Geography:7
History:8
Chemistry:7
Biology:7
Physics:6
Religious studies:8
Computer Science:8
Mathematics:8
Further Mathematics:B
Have you considered taking FM? you could do Maths, FM and CS. FM would help a lot more than Physics for your CS degree.
Reply 8
Original post by CSJedi
Have you considered taking FM? you could do Maths, FM and CS. FM would help a lot more than Physics for your CS degree.

I have considered it quite a bit, but i've been objected to it by a friend, I will discuss it with college tomorrow (since that is the enrolment)

But honestly i'm kind of scared to take further maths, due to my friends sister experience with it and how she went from really high grades to really low grades - Physics seems better since there will be more logical things, kinda? thats the thought thats running through my brain instead of a hard question in the maths papers
Reply 9
Original post by CSJedi

The thing which scared me about Further Maths - was my experience in the first maths paper at GCSE, I only scored around 50/80, while on the other two papers around 70/80, which didn't equal the 9, i feel as if that would happen again.
Reply 10
I have considered it quite a bit, but i've been objected to it by a friend, I will discuss it with college tomorrow (since that is the enrolment)

But honestly i'm kind of scared to take further maths, due to my friends sister experience with it and how she went from really high grades to really low grades - Physics seems better since there will be more logical things, kinda? thats the thought thats running through my brain instead of a hard question in the maths papers
Well, I can't say whether an A* in Physics is easier than A* in FM. However, you having tried "moderately hard" got a 6 at GCSE, it is going to get a lot harder, and while it is possible to get an A*, doing it for the sake of an A level isn't going to help you in the long run. However, taking FM at a level would help you in your degree and also make normal maths a lot easier. Even if you get A*A*A with major help with degree, it's better than A*A*A* and then struggle or have to learn the FM stuff at degree level.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by CSJedi
Well, I can't say whether an A* in Physics is easier than A* in FM. However, you having tried "moderately hard" got a 6 at GCSE, it is going to get a lot harder, and while it is possible to get an A*, doing it for the sake of an A level isn't going to help you in the long run. However, taking FM at a level would help you in your degree and also make normal maths a lot easier. Even if you get A*A*A with major help with degree, it's better than A*A*A* and then struggle or have to learn the FM stuff at degree level.

You're absolutely right - I will discuss with college person tommorow, thank you so much!!
Reply 12
You're absolutely right - I will discuss with college person tommorow, thank you so much!!
Np, and goodluck!
Work the hardest you’ve ever worked and you’ll find out.
You could see if you could start the year taking both physics and another subject such as further maths and then dropping one after a couple of weeks depending which one you prefer. It might help as you'd get a taster in both before committing to one.
Reply 15
Original post by Raaachh16
You could see if you could start the year taking both physics and another subject such as further maths and then dropping one after a couple of weeks depending which one you prefer. It might help as you'd get a taster in both before committing to one.

Thank you so much! I will be doing this for sure :biggrin:
Thank you so much! I will be doing this for sure :biggrin:

It's what I did with Further Maths and Geography, I'd just check at your college first to make sure they allow it.
Reply 17
Original post by Raaachh16
It's what I did with Further Maths and Geography, I'd just check at your college first to make sure they allow it.

I'm going to tommorow, i'll be sure to ask - I really appreciate this
I've just finished college studying maths, further maths, computer science and physics.

If you're college permits you, I would just do the 4 subjects but push one to the side and focus on the main 3.

It's what I did and I ended up with 3 A*'s and a C in physics.

If you only want or can do 3 subjects then personally I would recommend doing further maths over physics as it is a very desirable a level to have and imo, easier. Plus, you will learn a very wide range of pure and applied mathematics far surpassing what you would have done at GCSE level. Usually small classes too, my maths/further class was only 10 people including myself.

I should also mention that if you have the intention of dropping one after trying them, you may have to wait longer depending on how you're college runs the course, my college taught the normal maths modules twice as fast (twice as many lessons) before teaching the further maths modules so you may get an idea of the pace you would be working at but you wouldn't get an idea of what the further maths is actually like for a couple months probably.

Sorry that my reply is kinda disjointed, I was just writing things down as I thought of them 😂

Feel free to ask me about the sort of stuff you would be doing on the course, of course it will be a bit different than what I did but from what I gathered from my friends in the year below me, the content hasn't changed a great deal.
(edited 5 years ago)
Like A level Physics is hell. HOW ABOUT BIOLOGY <3

Quick Reply

Latest