The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread Mark I 2018-2019

The Official Year 13 Thread (2018-2019)

Announcements
N/A

Icebreakers
- Introduce yourself, what are your hobbies/interests?
- What grades did you get for your GCSEs? [OPTIONAL]
- Did you take any AS exams?
- What are your predicted grades? [OPTIONAL]
- What subjects do you take? (Include the exam board if you know it)
- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
- If you're not thinking of going to university, what will you do after 6th form/college?

General Advice
[url=""[url"]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/advice/the-10-most-important-pieces-of-advice-for-anyone-starting-a-levels"]Advice on starting A Levels
[url=""[url"]https://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/revision-exams-making-the-grade"]Advice from A* students
[url=""[url"]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=370-57-study-learning-and-revision-habits-of-A-star-students"] [url=""[url"]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=370-57-study-learning-and-revision-habits-of-A-star-students"]Advice on studying/revising at A Levels
[url=""[url"]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/second-year-of-a-level-what-to-expect"]Advice on the transition between Y12 and Y13
[url=""[url"]http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/preparing-for-university/get-u2-uni/year-11/revision-resources.aspx"]A Level revision resources [Disclaimer: many of these resources may be focused on the old specification A levels so should not be relied on to cover the whole of the new specification)
[url=""[url"]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4939768"]A Level English Study Group

2019 University Applicants Threads
[url=""[url"]https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5473010#primary_content"]Master thread for University applicants 2019

Future University Applicants
Oxford applicants
@auolique (French), @icrywheniwee (Classics), @F025il215 (Computer science & maths), @bookloverlolly (Chemistry), @J.emilia (biomedical sciences), @heartinablender (physics with philosophy)
Cambridge applicants
@brownanya122 (Law), @thotproduct (maths/engineering), @sinnoh (Natsci), @have (maths), @dysf(x)al (maths), @MediocreSince01 (maths), @_gcx (maths&stats), @Ishaan_Alidina (General Engineering), @jm6 (history), @CoffeeGeek (economics), @stimtothesky (vet med), @DeepInTheMeadow (economics with Russian/Spanish), @ElCorleone (economics),
Durham applicants
@brownanya122 (Law), @icrywheniwee (Classics), @k.bower (Law), Mediocresince01 (maths), @Ishaan_Alidina (General Engineering), @CinnamonSmol (English), j@m6 (history), @LlamaLikeEllie (Law), @heartinablender (physics with philosophy),
Birmingham applicants
@coffeeandpolitics (history & politics), @Sinnoh (physics), @k.bower (Law), Cinnamonsmol (English and Clasical Literature and Civilisation/English and creative writing), @heartinablender (physics with philosophy)
Imperial applicants
@thotproduct (maths/engineering), @Sinnoh (physics), @have (maths),
Manchester applicants
@brownanya122 (Law), @Mediocresince01 (maths), @heartinablender (physics with philosophy)
Nottingham applicants
@auolique (French), @pinkypaz123 (medicine), @k.bower (Law), @Cinnamonsmol (English), @stimtothesky (vet med), @DeepInTheMeadow (economics with Russian/Spanish), @LlamaLikeEllie (Law)
Loughborough applicants
@bubblecat (psychology), @F025il215 (Computer science & maths)
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

first :tongue: @Gingerbread101 and @CoffeeAndPolitics to sticky this thread
Second :eviltongue:

I'm Lemur14, I'm on the TSR Support Team for the Study Help section, I love maths and do a lot of volunteering with children which is awesome
- What grades did you get for your GCSEs?
986(maths, lit, lang) A*A*A*(electronics, computing, statistics) AAAAAAA(3 sciences, history, business, RS short course, citizenship short course) B(French)
Distinction*-ECDL A-FSMQ
Yep, AA in maths and further maths
- What are your predicted grades?
A*A*A
- What subjects do you take?
Maths+further maths (Edexcel)
Computing + EPQ (OCR)
- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
For maths
Oxford (Keble college), Durham (Josephine Butler college), Southampton and Lancaster so far
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi
Maths, doing random Maths problems, sports, video games, Chemistry, Fiddling around with Computers for a living
9A* 4A (9,9,8 in Mathematics, English Literature, English Language)
Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry AS
Got AAAA
A*A*A*A*
OCR A Maths, Further Maths, Physics
AQA Chemistry

Considering OCR Computer Science AS this year
OCR Persian (native language)
Maffs. Or Engineering (Electronic)

Cambridge: Corpus Christi College
Imperial
UCL
Bristol
Sheffield/Warwick

I think that's all lmao
Original post by brownanya122

Year 13 Thread (2018-2019)

Announcements
N/A

Icebreakers
- If you're not thinking of going to university, what will you do after 6th form/college?

General Advice
Advice on starting A Levels
Advice from A* students
Advice on studying/revising at A Levels
A Level revision resources [Disclaimer: many of these resources may be focused on the old specification A levels so should not be relied on to cover the whole of the new specification)

2019 University Applicants Threads
The Official Cambridge Applicants 2019 Thread
The Official Oxford Applicants 2019 Thread

Future University Applicants - let me know if any of these have changed!
Oxford: CoffeeAndPolitics (History & Politics), Lemur14 (Maths), CoffeeGeek(PPE/Economics), TheNlee (Biomedical Science), e2014 (History & Politics), ripmerip (Japanese), Bla1287 (Engineering), Doctor1234, Rleggette12, Rory_Evan (Maths), beauzz (History/History & English Literature), yeezyb (Computer Science), effystonem (Maths/Maths & Physics/Computer Science/Engineering), TheMightyBadger (Maths), Historical Muse (History), InferInfer, NuttyPancake1234 (Medicine), nadamczyk (Medicine), aspiringscorpio (Medicine).

Cambridge: Eulogy (Maths), _gcx (Maths), Kazo11 (Engineering), Sonechka (Linguistics/MML), LEuphoria (History), stimtothesky (Vet Med), zq01 (Engineering), ecila21 (Maths), MuskiRock11 (Engineering), adamchin (Politics/Science degree), EGIK (Physics), usfbullz (Computer Science), geeorgie (Vet Science), Dani1246 (Medicine), GreenTeeKid (History & Politics), Rory_Evan (Maths), beauzz (History/History & English Literature), yeezyb (Computer Science), effystonem (Maths/Maths & Physics/Computer Science/Engineering), TheMightyBadger (Maths), brownanya122 (Law), Historical Muse (History), InferInfer, PattoR (Medicine), Deyb (Medicine), Sok.cho (Medicine), lavendermenace (Human, Social and Political Science).

Hi guys - to re-introduce myself a little:
I'm Anya, I'm 18 in September and study AQA English Literature and History and Edexcel Maths for A-Level. I took RS and Maths at AS level and got A's in both :smile: I haven't got my predicted grades yet but am hoping for at least A*AA as I'm applying to study Law at Cambridge, Durham, Manchester, Nottingham and Sheffield :smile:
My GCSE grades:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
I love to read, listen to music, and I go running often
4 A*s and 5 As
No, but I'll be taking one in English Language next year (along with A Levels)
A*AB (English, Spanish + History). I'm working on getting the B moved up to an A tho
English Lit with OCR, Spanish and History with Edexcel, and English Language with AQA I think
I'm definitely applying for English Literature (and Language, at certain unis). I'd like to go to Oxbridge but to do so I need to get my predicted B up to an A. I've also been looking at Bristol and Exeter, and the Creative Writing and English Lit course at UEA.
Reply 6
Original post by Starlight15
first :tongue: @Gingerbread101 and @CoffeeAndPolitics to sticky this thread

Done. Just sorted everyone out internally.
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics

Hmmm where's year 12 thread? :curious:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics

PRSOM :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Starlight15
Hmmm where's year 12 thread? :curious:

Work In Progress - It's not quite ready yet but I've spoken to the person making it and it should be up by the weekend.
Reply 10
Introduce yourself, what are your hobbies/interests?
CoffeeAndPolitics/JT - Interested in modern history, politics, current affairs and I support Liverpool FC.

What grades did you get for your GCSEs?
See my GYG thread.

Did you take any AS exams?
Internal mocks - ACC

What are your predicted grades?
ABB

What subjects do you take? (Include the exam board if you know it)
History (OCR), Economics (Edexcel A) and Sociology (AQA)

If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
University of Leeds (L23) - BA International History & Politics 3 Years (VL22): AAA/ABB (Access to Leeds offer - must firm university)
University of York (Y50) [Vanbrugh College] - BA History (V100) 3 Years: AAA/A*AB (Admittedly this is quite ambitious)
University of East Anglia (E14) - BA History & Politics 3 Years (VL12): ABB
University of Loughborough (L79) - BA History & Politics 4 Years including Placement Year (VL1H): ABB
University of Essex (E70) - BA Modern History & Politics 3 Years (LV21): BBB

For all my university choices, I can do an optional work placement year if I wanted to and I can apply for that directly or whilst I'm at the university and doing my course there. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi! I’m A, I enjoy reading (not that I have much time for it) and photography!

My GCSEs were pretty average; 1A* 2As 4Bs 3Cs

I’m studying History (AQA), Sociology (OCR) & Psychology (OCR)

Wanting to study Psychology at uni and currently got my eye on Loughborough University :smile:
Hey guys

So I love performing arts especially dance and drama. I was the youngest person to receive a scholarship for English Youth Ballet and I have also trained at Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet, however, I cut down my dance training to once a week just before my GCSE exams started due to wanting to focus on academics. I hope if I get into to uni I can pick drama and dance back up again.
988A*A*A*A*AAA
No, thankfully
A*A*A
English lit AQA
French Edexcel
Maths AQA
EPQ
- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do? -
I am going to apply for Oxford for French sole, I don't think I will get in but I would regret not applying. Also applying for Nottingham, Queens Belfast, Warwick (maybs) Durham (maybs)
If you're not thinking of going to university, what will you do after 6th form/college?
N/A
Hi, I like reading, playing with my dog, arty stuff, knitting and learning things that I enjoy.
4A*s, 4As and a B
Yep, Chemistry, Biology and Maths- AAA
Not sure yet since my predicted grades are based off of AS levels but I'm guessing it'll be something like A*A*A/A*A*A*
I'll edit as soon as I find out.
- What subjects do you take?
Chemistry, Biology and Maths, all OCR A
I want to do Medicine at uni, at the moment I'm looking at Newcastle, Nottingham, UEA (got guaranteed interview) and possibly Birmingham.
:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Good look everyone :h: hope any results you all got were good!
I enjoy computer programming and I am quite interested in cybersecurity.
975A*A*A*A*ACC
No
Only currently know 3 which are A*A*A. Hopefully, will get A*A*A*AA predicted.
Chemistry - OCR A
Computer Science - OCR
Further Maths - Edexcel
Maths - Edexcel
Physics - AQA
EPQ
I will be applying for Computer Science and Maths.
I will probably be applying to Oxford, Bath, Exeter, Lancaster and Loughborough.
I am also applying for a couple of apprenticeships, so maybe one of those.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi I'm Shadow. :hello: I love to read, watch movies and play games. I'm a huge Harry Potter and Marvel fan. I also like to draw and paint although after doing GCSE Art, I've kinda been put off it. I swim regularly, non-competitively and play electric guitar. :thrasher:
GCSE's: A* 8 A A A A 6 6 B B B
Half GCSE's: A B

Nope all of mine are linear (and i'm glad because my maths mock went awfully :banghead:).

- What subjects do you take & predicted grades? (Include the exam board if you know it)
Computer Science (OCR) - A*
Maths (Edexcel) - B (but I have a chance to push it up in September so it hopefully becomes an A)
Biology (OCR) - B

I want to do Computer Science at uni, but I'm not completely sure where I want to apply atm. I think I'm definitely going to apply to Bath and York but I'm debating between the others.
Reply 17
Hi everyone. I turned 17 in June, I do guitar pretty well I think, have a slightly higher-than-normal interest in astronomy (I guess) and my main hobby is either procrastinating academic work by ****ing around on the internet or procrastinating important academic work by doing maths. If I'm listening to music it's usually either Muse or Pink Floyd.

I got a 9, 8, 7, 6 A*s, 2 As, 1 B and 1 C in GCSE (one of those was taken a year early and one a year late) and those are still the only public exams I've done - no AS-levels done.
I take maths + further maths (Edexcel), physics (AQA), history (OCR) and French AS over two years off-timetable. I'm want to be predicted at least 3 A*s because I'm set on applying to...
Robinson College @ Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Birmingham and Southampton all for physics (NatSci at Cambridge).
Original post by F055il215
I enjoy computer programming and I am quite interested in cybersecurity.
975A*A*A*A*ACC
No
Only currently know 3 which are A*A*A. Hopefully, will get A*A*A*AA predicted.
Chemistry - OCR A
Computer Science - OCR
Further Maths - Edexcel
Maths - Edexcel
Physics - AQA
EPQ
I will be applying for Computer Science and Maths.
I will probably be applying to Oxford, Bath, Exeter, Lancaster and Loughborough.
I am also applying for a couple of apprenticeships, so maybe one of those.

How's your comp sci controlled assessment going?
Well done for your amazing predicted grades btw!
Original post by Shadowdraconis
I also like to draw and paint although after doing GCSE Art, I've kinda been put off it.

Lol story of my life

Quick Reply

Latest