The Student Room Group

Gcse results- uni law

delete
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Neamsay
hey guys,
i don't know how to feel about my results and can I get into law at a good university (oxbridge,UCL,Kings) with them?

French- 4
Computer Science-4
Physics- 5
Maths- 6
History-6
Biology-6
Chemistry-7
R.e.-7
English Language- 7
English lit-9

Oxbridge isn’t likely with those grades I’m afraid, they’re very strict on GCSE requirements. Every other uni should be within your sights if you get the required A level grades. Good luck with your a levels!
Reply 2
Original post by Sacred Ground
Oxbridge isn’t likely with those grades I’m afraid, they’re very strict on GCSE requirements. Every other uni should be within your sights if you get the required A level grades. Good luck with your a levels!

They won't even consider me if i get AAA at A Levels and I have passed my GCSEs
Original post by Neamsay
They won't even consider me if i get AAA at A Levels and I have passed my GCSEs

Providing you reach the predicted requirements and your personal statement is good, of course you’ll be considered. But be prepared the majority of applicants applying to Oxbridge will be applying with straight A*’s at GCSE, so you need something to stand out from the crowd (whether that be volunteering, law experience etc)
Reply 4
Providing you reach the predicted requirements and your personal statement is good, of course you’ll be considered. But be prepared the majority of applicants applying to Oxbridge will be applying with straight A*’s at GCSE, so you need something to stand out from the crowd (whether that be volunteering, law experience etc)

Thank you so much, I have went to a UCL Year 11 Summer School and starting some work experience at local firms, would you consider this a good start for year 12?
Original post by Neamsay
Thank you so much, I have went to a UCL Year 11 Summer School and starting some work experience at local firms, would you consider this a good start for year 12?

Yes that’s a brilliant start, you have another 12 months of experience to gain too before you start applying for unis. You’re well on your way. Good luck, you’ve got this!
Reply 6
Yes that’s a brilliant start, you have another 12 months of experience to gain too before you start applying for unis. You’re well on your way. Good luck, you’ve got this!

Thank you so much, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do!
I know someone who got an offer from Cambridge despite not getting a single A at GCSEs. However this means that you need to be predicted with the entry requirement grades and have lots of work experience, with a really good personal statement and be able to stand out in your interview. But congrats on the 9 in English lit 👏🏽 very impressive
Reply 8
Original post by Kirby...
I know someone who got an offer from Cambridge despite not getting a single A at GCSEs. However this means that you need to be predicted with the entry requirement grades and have lots of work experience, with a really good personal statement and be able to stand out in your interview. But congrats on the 9 in English lit 👏🏽 very impressive

Thank you so much! There is always room for improvement and I hope that my A level grades will pay off and work experience, by the way can I ask if it has to be specifically law? As the city I live in hasn't got many firms offering work experience
Original post by Neamsay
Thank you so much! There is always room for improvement and I hope that my A level grades will pay off and work experience, by the way can I ask if it has to be specifically law? As the city I live in hasn't got many firms offering work experience

It's best to get work experience at law firms or shadow a barrister/lawyer. I'm not too sure on how unis will take it into consideration. Most likely they will use it in your interview to ask what you have learnt and gained from it. As I said I'm not to sure as I did finish my GCSEs today as well 😂 just try and get as much experience as possible and if you are lucky enough to get an interview you could briefly tell the interviewer the lack of opportunities you had which they most likely will take into account.

Quick Reply

Latest